Jehovah's Witnesses asking woman to pay legal costs in sexual abuse lawsuit

by ignored_one 124 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• mizpah
    mizpah

We all should be patient to see what decision comes out of this attempt of the Watchtower to abuse a victim one more time. The court may have the same reaction that many of us do...a revulsion to the arrogance and greed of the Watchtower Society.

In the meantime, more attention is drawn to the problem that Jehovah's Witnesses have with sexual abuse of children in their ranks and more bad publicity about the unchristian and uncaring attitude of the Watchtower Society.

We are all very grateful for the courageous stand that Vicki took to make the public aware of the perfidy of the Watchtower organization. She remains in our thoughts and prayers.

• hawkaw
  • hawkaw
    hawkaw

Vicki Boer made the Fredrickton Daily Gleaner. I have no url link. Full article published

Circ: 25,806

Woooooohoooooooo

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

PING!!!!

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Newsday (NYC/LI) has a huge two-page spread embarassing the Catholic pedophile protection today. Newsday's circulation is a couple million readers. The excess on the Catholics is a perfect excuse to point them to a case on the JWs in the interests of fair coverage. Is a final judgment on the case expected by Molloy soon, or is the WTS payment request expected to drag out?

I need to know whether to point them North now or if it might be better to wait until a final outcome goes more clearly against the WTS.

Gamaliel

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

I still can't see why this is a good news. It looks like that Vicki is vitimized over again and the court said it is ok. And now WTS wants Vicki to pay for their legal fee. Since the court decision was not too favorable to Vicki, I'm concerned.

• Scully
    Scully

From what I gather, the Judge's decision regarding costs will be rendered late in August. Counsel for both sides has to submit their arguments for costs to the judge in writing.

What irks me more than anything, is that the WTS is covering the legal expenses by using "WT friendly" lawyers, plus they use the legal department at Bethel (unpaid volunteer staff paralegals and clerks) to do all the preliminary work on cases like this. For them to then submit costs of this magnitude is an obvious money-grab on the part of the WTS, when they know full well that Vicki is already on the edge over the possibility of having to cover her own costs, never mind the costs of the defendants.

So much for Christian Love and Compassion™.

Love, Scully

• Scully
    Scully

*** Rbi8 1 Corinthians 6:1-8 ***

6 Does anyone of YOU that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones? 2 Or do YOU not know that the holy ones will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by YOU, are YOU unfit to try very trivial matters? 3 Do YOU not know that we shall judge angels? Why, then, not matters of this life? 4 If, then, YOU do have matters of this life to be tried, is it the men looked down upon in the congregation that YOU put in as judges? 5 I am speaking to move YOU to shame. Is it true that there is not one wise man among YOU that will be able to judge between his brothers, 6 but brother goes to court with brother, and that before unbelievers?

7 Really, then, it means altogether a defeat for YOU that YOU are having lawsuits with one another. Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be wronged? Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be defrauded? 8 To the contrary, YOU wrong and defraud, and YOUR brothers at that.

• needs_lots
    needs_lots

Hello all,

Yes, glad to see that everyone feels the same way I do. I don't think there is anything we can do now. Its up to the judge to decide costs. I have no control over it anymore. I didn't even know they were coming after me for costs until 2 days ago. I just don't know what to do now. Its obviously upsetting for our family. Like I said before, it was a huge moral victory, but...............at what cost? When will it ever end? When will they stop hurting the victums? Not sure anyone can help us now. But knowing I have all of you for moral support is "BIG". Don't get so down on yourself expatbrit. You didn't know either, and obviously they didn't want to say it outloud at the court house last week. You only told me what you heard, and I appreciate you and hawk being there for me when I couldn't afford to go and listen for myself. We need to find a way.......but I don't know how other than through what the press is doing(thanks to hawk and the others). Lets just keep hoping there is going to be some justice.

vic

• impartial
    impartial

I also feel samely as others posted.

My sugestions are slicely different as follows.

1)The best the same judge can do is only rewarding all costs in favour (..though it affects more than $200,000 CANADIAN. ) if she can not change her "factual findings". The judge was so interesting when she learned about the "gag offer"by the WT. The judge will review "offer/s to settle document" if WT lawyer follows her request. Both lawyers are requirerd to provide with further legal briefs within two weeks if I learned correctly. While Vicki's lawyer is not so much familia with WT-world and made some misstakes as the judge mentioned in the decision, WOULD NOT WE WANT TO CIRCULATE THE DRAFT OF HIS NEW SUBMISSION/BRIEF BY EMAIL{ IF THIS FORUM DO NOT ALLOW US POST SUCH THINGS ( SEE "posting Guideline 4.") } IN ORDER TO GET THE BEST FOR VICKI!!

2)...After I consider more....hopefully I WILL continue....

IMPARTIAL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit