Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas

Kida I will send you a pm,

• Honesty
    Honesty

Romans 14:5-10 (HCSB)

5 One person considers one day to be above another day. Someone else considers every day to be the same. Each one must be fully convinced in his own mind.

6 Whoever observes the day, observes it to the Lord. Whoever eats, eats to the Lord, since he gives thanks to God; and whoever does not eat, it is to the Lord that he does not eat, yet he thanks God.

7 For none of us lives to himself, and no one dies to himself.

8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. Therefore, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

9 Christ died and came to life for this: that He might rule over both the dead and the living.

10 But you, why do you criticize your brother? Or you, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God.

Hibi, you have to remember that most on this board have been damaged beyond belief by the WatchTower/JW cult. Therefore, our perspective is based partly on the abusive relationship we have had with the Mother organisation. Just a thought for you to consider when your views are not taken very seriously.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

These days I'm just going along with the tradition.

DY

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Confession:

While there are many reasons why people frequent this message board, basically it is here to provide support and encouragement for people trying to heal from such Pharisaical legalism.

Well don't you think this a great opportunity to learn the truth about the X in Christmas and now do the right thing? How would you like it if lets say your name is Abraham, would you like if you were to receive some award and they presented your name on the flyer as X receives award for "The most outstanding and dedicated worker. People wouldn't know who X is.

Wouldn't you feel stupid in front hundreds of people who never even saw you far less know your stupid name.....Ahhh but to a man his name is the sweetest thing in his ear.

Hibiscusfire

• daystar
    daystar

Information on the cross from Wikipedia

St. Andrew's Cross is an example of a cross on its side.

Or were they attempting to cross out Christ?

• daystar
    daystar

dam

Why did you start this topic? Think about it.

It's a kneejerk reaction to the subject title of this post, I think.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/97074/1.ashx

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

chris:

Hisbicus, I'm not one to nag, but don't you think you should lighten up a little?

Oooooooooooh you're tooo sweet...by the way whoever said I was uptight. I'm PEEVED!!!!

HF

• Finally-Free
  • upside/down
    upside/down
    I'm PEEVED!!!!

That is NOT a "christian" quality...last I checked.

u/d

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

http://www.cresourcei.org/cyxmas.html

The Origin of "Xmas"

The abbreviation of "Xmas" for Christmas, long reviled by many conservative and Low Church Christians, is not nearly as blasphemous as many contend. Rather than a sacrilegious removal of "Christ" from Christmas and replacing him with an unknown, as some claim, the "Xmas" abbreviation has a long history in the church. In Greek, the language in which the New Testament was first written, "chi" ( c or C), which is almost identical to the Roman alphabet "X," is the first letter of the word "Christ" ( cristoV , or as it would be written in older manuscripts , CRISTOS ). In fact, the symbol of the fish in the early church came from using the first letter of several titles used for Jesus (Jesus Christ Son of God Savior) that when combined spelled the Greek word for fish ( icquV , ichthus).

In the early days of printing when typesetting was done by hand and was very tedious and expensive, abbreviations were common. The church began to use the abbreviation C for the word "Christ" in religious publications. From there, the abbreviation moved into general use in newspapers and other publications, and "Xmas" became an accepted way of printing "Christmas."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit