Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

Hib, methinks you have X'd over into koo-koo land again.

However you might think the X in "Xmas" has been intended to cross out Christ, I can assure you that it is not used in such a manner by the entire frickin' world. Many people use it as a shorthand in Christmas for Christ, which, being a title and not part of his proper name, means anointed. The X is also a symbol for the Cross, in turn symbolising his sacrifice. How can it be a blasphemy?

X=Christ and is normally not intended to "cross him out". That is only your generally misguided understanding.

• Confession
    Confession
    If you are celebrating Christmas do not X Christ out of it.
    Well it means cross OUT!!

An X is an x ----cross out

A + is a cross there is a difference.

Hibiscusfire,

When I was a JW, there was a particularly bigoted, narrow-minded guy I worked with who used to say the same thing. He was kind of a piece of work. On one hand, he was always cutting down JWs, making snide remarks about me behind my back--even though I never spoke to him about the organization unless he initiated it himself. On the other hand he once tried to tell me I could no longer type the word "Xmas" on our commercial cartridge labels. (We worked at a radio station.) You see, we had to type information on the labels so the on-air people would know, for instance, the last few words of the ad. Then they'd know what their cue was to start talking. With limited space, I always took advantage of abbreviations, and during the Christmas season, so many outcues involved this word, I'd type "Xmas"--as did all of the other announcers.

He approached me, saying, "Don't type Xmas anymore." I had no idea why not, so when I asked why, he said, "Because I was always taught that "x" meant the "missing integer," and why should Christ be missing from Christmas?"

This cracked me up, because he was so scathingly judgmental about what MY beliefs were--although I fully cooperated with the staff during their holiday. But when it came to his personal viewpoint about the letter "x," apparently the entire staff was to fall in line.

Hibiscusfire, I respect this perspective you have, but understand please that it is exactly that: your perspective. Because you think that X cannot mean a cross--and must mean a "cross out"--does not mean that everyone must accept this perspective, does it? Now I could probably do a little research as to why X does not always mean "the missing integer." (For instance, the earliest understanding of it as such came in the 1600s from mathmetician Rene Descartes. He did not limit unknown quantities to "x", but also to "y" and "z.") But before I get too far with that, doesn't it feel like we're starting to go down that Watchtower path again? Finding fault with little things. Straining out the gnat? While there are many reasons why people frequent this message board, basically it is here to provide support and encouragement for people trying to heal from such Pharisaical legalism.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

legolas:

I wanted to get home to bed and be a good girl for Santa!

And I'm sure you're not talking about the Nicholas guy? Did Santa really bring toys for you???

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HF

• damselfly
    damselfly

dams:

For all the ex-jWs on this board, our families DID pray together. Have some of our families stayed together? NO, they have not.

Well in the first place JW church is a bunch of crap. That is the reason why it didn't work.

Besides JW don't celebrate Christmas. Pick sense from non-sense.

Hibiscusfire

Your comment about prayer had NOTHING to do with the Jehovah's Witnesses, or about Christmas. It was about prayer. And that was what I responded to.

It's hard to pick the SENSE from all the NONSENSE in your post.

Dams

• Legolas
    Legolas

legolas:

I wanted to get home to bed and be a good girl for Santa!

And I'm sure you're not talking about the Nicholas guy? Did Santa really bring toys for you???

HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HF

Yes......Yes he did!

• kid-A
    kid-A

I wonder how many ancient Roman Pagans were pissed off when they replaced the sun-god with JC? SOunds like it was more fun worshipping Saturn!!

The day of December 25 acquired a new significance under the rule of Emperor Aurelian. He proclaimed this day as "Dies Natalis Invicti Solis," or the Birthday of the Unconquered Sun. This was because of a strange Eastern religion, Mithraism, whose god Mithras was identified with the Unconquered Sun. During the Saturnalia work of every kind ceased. Schools were closed.

Saturn, in whose honor this feast was held, was the oldest and most benign deity in ancient Italy and was fabled to have reigned during the Golden Age. This was conceived by the Romans as an era in which plenty abounded and nothing had appeared to corrupt and mar the peace and happiness of mankind. But since that time the world had gone from bad to worse. The lust of gold and the lust of blood had brought disastrous evils. The dream of an Age of Gold was widespread in the pre-Christian world. The Greeks taught men to think of it as followed by the Silver, Bronze, and Iron Ages. These ages marked the steady declension and degeneration of mankind. But they looked for the eventual return of a Gold Era. This spirit of Gentile expectancy was that of a millennial, and King Saturn would reign.

As the Saturnalia returned each year it brought with it thoughts of the peaceful reign of Saturn long, long ago, when all men were happy and all men were good.

The Roman Saturnalia was boisterous. But whatever the behavior of some Romans, others were simply merry. They ate big dinners, visited their friends, etc. The halls of the Romans were decked with boughs of laurel and of green trees, with lighted candles and with lamps--for the hovering spirits of darkness were afraid of light. Bonfires were lit in high places to strengthen the reviving sun in his course. Candles and green wreaths were given as presents, the streets were crowded with noisy processions of men and women carrying lighted tapers, and public places were decked with flowers and shrubs. The practice of giving and receiving presents was almost as common then as it is now at Christmas. Our present day "Christmas spirit" is actually the spirit of this old Roman festival.

During the Kalends of January, which lasted for three days, Roman houses were adorned with lights and greenery, and presents were given to friends and children and to the poor.

We can see how that the exchanging of gifts was an important feature of this Roman festival from the writings of Libanius, an ancient Sophist. He might be writing about Christmas in the modern world from the way it reads: The festival of the Kalends is celebrated everywhere as far as the limits of the Roman Empire extend.. The impulse to spend seizes everyone... People are not only generous towards themselves, but also towards their fellow-men. A stream of presents pours itself out on all sides... The Kalends festival banishes all that is connected with toil, and allows men to give themselves up to undisturbed enjoyment. From the minds of young people it removes two kinds of dread: the dread of the schoolmaster and the dread of the stern pedagogue... Another great quality of the festival is that it teaches men not to hold too fast to their money, but to part with it and let it pass into other hands.

Now I have described the ancient Babylonian festival, the "Zagmuk," where Christmas had its beginning and the Roman "Saturnalia," which was the merging of the Zagmuk and "Sacaea." The Greek festival in honor of Kronos was the ancient Babylonian and Persian "Sacaea."

Emperor Aurelian had proclaimed Mithraism as the official state religion of the Roman Empire, but "Christianity" becomes the new religion under Constantine, and the Catholic Church becomes faced with the struggle to convert the pagans. We will answer these two important questions: (1) Why did the idea of celebrating the birth of Christ arise and how? (2)

Why was the date of December 25 chosen for this celebration?

The earliest "Christians" were not interested in Jesus' birthday, but by the fourth century they had become very much interested. While interested in the Man Christ Jesus, their thought and affection did not as yet include the Child Jesus. But they came to focus their eyes upon Jesus the infant and Mary His mother. Many people were coming to the notion that his birthday should be observed. This idea came about as the "Church" began to regard Mary, the mother of Jesus, in a new light. She had long been revered along with the saints and Apostles, but only along with them. But now in this same fourth century she emerges as the QUEEN OF HEAVEN. There never would have been a Christmas except the worship of Mary had emerged. They now put her in Heaven, not merely as an intercessor, but a Queen.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    It irritates me when I see Christ being taken out of Christmas

By the same token - aren't you irritated when athiests celebrate it too? Or would it be ok for them to call it Xmas?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Have some of our families stayed together?

Not mine! But then, once I DA'd my wife wasn't allowed to pray with me anymore because I was a demonized apostate bastard from hell.

As to why some celebrate the holiday when they don't believe in Jesus, it may be because it's a statutory holiday. We don't have the option of going in to work. Just about everything is closed - you can't even go out to a restaurant or donut shop. This holiday is imposed on people whether they're Christian or not, so they should not be criticized for celebrating it in whatever way they choose.

W

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Kid-A: If I choose to celebrate x-mas it will be on my own terms, dec. 25 originally had NOTHING to do with Jesus, and now its nothing more than an excuse to rack up enormous bills on your visa card so everybody

People have come terribly imbalanced. We give many useless gifts at Christmas because it's expected of us and we feel guilty if we don't. The money-making world now makes a $100.00 toy seem perfectly normal. It's easy to observe the stress that our imbalanced society places on family members. Christian parents who cannot provide the latest pleasures to their children are often depressed and troubles. Obviously, no one purposely makes them feel unworthy or insignificant, but the overwhelming emphasis we place on giving at Christmas certainly does.

So great is this social pressure that the closer we get toward Christmas Day, the more depressed and unworthy those who can't treat feel. Unfortunately the pressures don't end once Christmas is past either. Those who can't afford to compete in their gift-giving often dread congregating with their friends immediately after the holidays, because at "show and tell" time they don't have much to show. It is not a conscious act on the part of most people to openly display their pride. Rather, because we are in a competitive society we often determine a person's worth by his ability to buy things. "For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God" (Colossians 3:3).

hibiscusfire

• carla
    carla

Hibiscus,

I understand your discomfort. Do you invite nonChristians to your holiday affairs, church services, or family gatherings? I know of a family that does that every year. Some people who they know will not be comfortable going to a church they invite to a holiday gathering. In that way they can show Christian love, by not being judgemental, but rather showing them kindness, love, joy, and just companionship, many have found a new or renewed interest in Jesus. just a thought, carla

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit