Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• defd
    defd

I personally feel that the bottom line is that Christmas has nothing to do with Christ. I know that for many in there heart of hearts they think of Christ but the facts show that Nothing about Christmas celebration is Christ.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Defd I tried to end this thread by saying that we will say merry christmas...LOL Now here you are going to make it go another 16 pages long...LMAO

• Legolas
    Legolas

Defd I tried to end this thread by saying that we will say merry christmas...LOL Now here you are going to make it go another 16 pages long...LMAO

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

So, Hib,

What exactly is your objection to having the X (khi in greek) put at the start. It is the first letter of the greek word for Christ 'X' - maybe we should spell Christ as hrist?

The custom goes way back to when vellum and parchment were very expensive. Many words were abbreviated in handwritten manuscripts, some of which we know longer know the word they represent. In the church there were many masses, all of which were written in the abbreviated form: '_mas'. (insert the relevant abbreviation at '_' ) Any literate person would know when he saw the greek letter before the word 'mass' that it stood for Xristos and put that word in. Much as the jews would say Adonai when they saw YHWH.

By the way, if you make no attempt to say YHWH when you see it in the bible and substitute another word aren't you doing the same as those you are criticising for saying Xmas? Perhaps they think that Christ is too holy a word to utter. As for hijacked pagan holidays the customs of the spring fertility festival in honor of Ishtar became Easter in the early church. How blasphemous is that?

Sorry if anyone has already pointed this out.

HB

• Legolas
    Legolas

Hamsterbait...Did you read the whole thread.....LMAO

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

From now on its Christ Rays, The Christ Files and Christ marks the spot for me!

Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

Oh, and happy chanukah.

• daystar
    daystar
    Oh, and happy chanukah.

Don't you mean CHRISTanukah?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    "Traditions of Chanukah include lighting candles on a Menorah every night for eight nights in the home, eating food cooked in oil (doughnuts, potato pancakes etc.), giving presents, holding parties and celebrations, and playing games with a dreidel" - www.somethingjewish.co.uk

I guess I do mean Christanukah - it all sounds like the same thing to me.

I always get my dreidel out at Christmas!

• Legolas
    Legolas

You guy's.................too funny

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Happy XKwanza....oops Christkwanza

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit