Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

AK Why do you take it personally that most do not see it as you do

You would take it personally too if people who you think are close to you do not recognise the importance of your name.

Don't take this personally...i don't know if you are male or female but if your better half was making love to you and called you by a different name wouldn't you be offended?

Hib

• undercover
    undercover
    Christmas is all about Jesus Christ.

Christmas is all about marketing and sales. Christmas used to be banned by puritanical churches because of the pagan influences and the revelry associated with the celebration. After it became allowed again and fashionable to observe Christmas, merchants figured out that they could make money off of it, especially during a slow time of year...the start of winter.

You have bought into the 20th century marketing of Xmas whether you believe it or not.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

sonny Where does it say in the Bible that we're supposed to celebrate his birth?

We supposed to celebrate Jesus everyday of our lives. At Christmas, it just gives that extra mile...people actually think about the poor man on that day.....after that what happens to him?

Hib

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

hibiscusfire:

Without Christ there would have never been a Christmas.

No, we'd all still be celebrating Saturnalia or Yuletide. A lot more fun it would be too.

Without Christ, He would never have died for our sins 33 years later and we would all be condemned to Hell to suffer for eternity.

Er, who do you believe created hell, and who judges people worthy to go there?

We would have never known what it felt like to know our Savior who gave everything so that we could have everything.

What did he give? (If your beliefs are true) he pretended to be a human for a few years, and then pretended to die. If we pretend it's true he'll forgive us for our pretend sins and not torture us for eternity. Why would anyone be grateful for that, even if they were gullible enough to believe it?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Don't take this personally...i don't know if you are male or female but if your better half was making love to you and called you by a different name wouldn't you be offended?

I don't get the comparison. Apples to oranges if there ever was.

All we are talking about is abbreviation of a holiday name in script. I would imagine that all that read it, would read it aloud as 'Christmas', wouldn't they? I have never heard a single soul say verbally X-mas.

I agree that if one celebrates the holiday, it would and should be done to honor Christ Jesus. Many prooofs have been given to show that the holiday has little to do with Jesus in the beginning. You choose to ignore the big picture on that issue - but to attack those who simply wish to abbreviate the name of the holiday. It has even been shown that the X itself stands for Christ in the older languages. Again you ignore the logical argumentation presented in favor of a biased opinion of your own formation.

I have no personal argument in either direction. I could really care less if some write Christmas and others Xmas. I am a Christian and it does not offend me in the least that they exercise free will and thought and opinion in choosing how to represent a group of letters that designate a holiday. I find it fascinating that you are offended by it, is all.

Jeff

• Sassy
    Sassy

Wasn't the point made already?

Christmas.. Xmas.. is what each of us individually make it in OUR lives..

no matter what the history is.. we are FREE to live how we feel and act how we want to

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

BEING APPRECIATED AS YOU ARE WORTH:

Replacing “X” for Christ in Christmas is a bad idea. I think as soon as this happens, you lose sight of what Christmas is supposed to be about: Christ’s birthday. By placing that “X” in there, you make the meaning gone — poof! Switching a word with a letter makes Christ no longer an important person. No more special feeling as a person writes Christmas. It just becomes meaningless. But more importantly, it becomes heartless.

I don’t think Christ likes to be taken out of his own birthday name. That’d be like a person replacing your name with “Y”. So, instead of hearing “Happy Birthday, Erica,” I would hear “Happy Birthday, Y.” I don’t like that and I’m sure that no one else would either.

Christ has feelings just like we do, so if we don’t like it, why would he? His name is Christ - not “X.” And since Christmas is his day (just like our birthday for us), we should respect that and not place “X” in place of Christ.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If the worst thing I ever had to deal with in life was seeing "Xmas" instead of "Christmas" on signs, then I'd be grateful to have such a problem free life, rather than moaning about it.

W

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

See ya'll later. I must go find something worth discussing further - this is the silliest overblown discussion I can remember on a thread here. Talk about making mountain of a molehill -

Jeff

• avishai
    avishai

Once again, why are'nt you lobbying just as hard, if not harder (especially since almost eveyone really DOES call it christmas) against your lord and savior's death's holiday being named after a Pagan fertility goddess? A goddess devoted to Humping?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit