Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Yea, the whole thing should be called x£

• donkey
    donkey

Christmas is a huge secular commercial event....I have numbers to prove it.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

We all have numbers to prove it - its called our January credit card statement.

• undercover
    undercover
    so they put X which does not mean anything but X.....nothing!

so I guess you didn't take any notes while keeping up with this thread then...

When they hand out JWD awards, you will win "Short Term Memory" poster.

• glitter
    glitter

In the word "Christ" the "i" is a hard sound. So if ill-informed people want to "keep Christ in Christmas" then shouldn't they pronounce it "Christ Mass"? After all, that's what the *Christian* winter celebration is...

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Just wondering...

1. Why did this thread become a heated argument?
    2. What if anything did this thread achieve?
    3. Was anyone persuaded by anothers arguments (which can happen on the better threads - I have certainly adjusted some of my thinking after hearing others points)

My suggested answers:

1. It started with the wrong tone, perhaps through lack of social skills. How not to commence a discussion - by issuing an order to be obeyed without question! ie "Do not cross Christ out of it" We were being given a commandment by Hibiscus. She managed to alienate Christians who love God and Christ, and possibly including some who may lead a more Christian life than she does.
    2. It might have achieved one thing. A potential or wavering Christian might well have been repulsed by such a narrow minded and petty approach to Christianity.
    3. Discussions that begin with someone ordering people to obey them only encourage people to take up increasingly entrenched positions. Perhaps it did help to expose how so called Bible-based Christians are not really Bible-based or Christian at all.

Oh for an ounce of humility occasionally.....

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Therefore do not X Christ out of Christmas because X does not symbolise anything.

You need to read the thread

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

MULAN

Christmas is supposed to be a celebration for Christ, that all Christians should be observing, but even a lot of so called"Christians," use the term XMAS.

Christ is and always will be Christ & we should never refer to him as X.

Hibe

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

"There is no “X” even in the word Christmas! And even if there was, let’s take any other holiday or even your own personal birthday, how would you like it if no one even took time out to recognize your birth. I know I would feel un-appreciated or even un-loved. gift He sent us, Jesus Christ. The whole reason why Christmas even is, is to celebrate the birth of this Man, this innocent and perfect Man whom we learn later was crucified and resurrected after three days.

Christmas has been distorted to some fantasy time of year, even to the point where people try and leave Christ out and replace it with a big “X” that signifies absolutely nothing.

Don’t take the history out of Christmas. Just know the only true gift we have received is the birth of our Savior, Jesus."

Sarah Lashinsky is a 12th grade student at Victory Christian School in Oceanside.

Hibie

• Legolas
    Legolas

Hib do you know the origins of christmas?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit