I think the jws might be right

by holly 114 Replies latest jw friends

• fairchild
    fairchild

Hi Holly,

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I wish I could tell you ‘yes, they are right’, or ‘no, they are wrong’. Truth is, I don’t know. You were not here yet when I posted ‘my story’ so let me repeat a small part of it. My sister and I got separated when we were young, and didn’t see each other for about 6 years. When we met again, it turned out that both of us, without knowing about one another, had done extensive studies on the different religions, trying to figure out what the right religion would be. The results were remarkable. I had decided that the JW’s were closer to the ‘truth’ than anyone else, and decided to study the bible with them. My sister….. got baptized as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. She has been a pioneer ever since. To have two people, walking different paths, searching for ‘the true religion’, and decide that the KH of Jehovah’s Witnesses is their final stop, did not strike me as a coincidence. To me, it was merely a confirmation that this was supposed to be the destination of my journey. For many years after that, there was not an ounce of doubt in my mind. Jehovah’s Witnesses had to be God’s chosen people, and being a part of their organization was the only way to salvation. On the day when I wrote my first post on this board, over two months ago, there was still no doubt in my mind. Yes, I knew about silent lambs, I knew about 1975, and I knew that the concept of ‘this generation’ had been changed in 1995. Such information was not new to me. It was easy to justify all this. After all, we are imperfect people and we do make mistakes. The governing body, even chosen by God himself, does consist of imperfect people after all. The JW teachings did not make me stumble. Nor did the failed predictions, or their messing around with the bible by making slight changes in the NWT, or the fact that JW’s were allowed to smoke until it became a huge sin all of a sudden, or the connections with the UN, or the fact that they allowed people to sell all their possessions in 1975, or the fact that a college education is not supposed to happen, none of these things made me stumble. Again, they were results of human imperfection imho.
    What finally made me stumble was the scripture in 1John 4:8 “He that does not love has not come to know God, because God is love.”
    Oh yes, there is love among JW’s, many JW’s I know are very loving and very helpful to one another. However, this ‘love’ seems to disappear when someone gets disfellowshiped. As has been brought up on many occasions, did Jesus shun people because they were sinners? I don’t think so. How many families have been ripped apart, because a family member is being shunned? I honestly think that shunning is a very cruel and a very un-Christian practice. I no longer believe that there is ‘love’ amongst JW’s, as it is no more than conditional love. “I will love you as long as you are one of JW’s, but should you get disfellowshiped, I will not talk to you again”. Personally, I prefer to love my family and my friends, no matter what.

By golly, I also have not found a scripture in the bible where it says that I should refrain from remembering the birth of Jesus. I’m still looking for a scripture that forbids me to send a card to my friends when it is their birthday. It would be great as well, if I could find a scripture where it says that I’m not allowed to wish someone good luck. How about a scripture that points out that I really should not be passing the mike around at the KH, because I’m a woman. Oh and you know what? How about a scripture that says I can’t wear black stockings? Yes, yes, those are petty little things, but they are part of a long, long, long list of other petty little things which, altogether, add up to a lot of ‘control’, the kind of control I really do not find in the bible. It is one thing to follow the bible, but it is something different to follow the rules, made up by a human organization.

Are they ‘from God? You can only answer that question for yourself. Don not answer it today, read Crisis Of Conscience by Raymond Franz. I do believe that, in your search for truth, you owe it to yourself to read this book. After reading it, you will have all the facts and you will be able to answer that question, having seen both sides of the coin.

Personally, I won’t deny that I have doubts both ways. At least twice a day I ask myself the question.. what if they are right? What if I am turning my back on Jehovah’s organization? What if I am doing the wrong thing by not going to the kingdom hall anymore?

So, you think they might be right? So do I, but I also think they might be dead wrong.
  • fairchild
    fairchild

Sorry my above post got broken up in pieces, I seemed to have some technical problems, and this was the only way to post it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    John 14:5,6 New World Translation

Thomas said to him: "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How do we know the way?" 6 Jesus said to him: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through

Matthew 13:24-30,36-43 New World Translation
    24 Another illustration he set before them, saying: "The kingdom of the heavens has become like a man that sowed fine seed in his field. 25 While men were sleeping, his enemy came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat, and left. 26 When the blade sprouted and produced fruit, then the weeds appeared also. 27 So the slaves of the householder came up and said to him, ?Master, did you not sow fine seed in your field? How, then, does it come to have weeds?? 28 He said to them, ?An enemy, a man, did this.? They said to him, ?Do you want us, then, to go out and collect them?? 29 He said, ?No; that by no chance, while collecting the weeds, YOU uproot the wheat with them. 30 Let both grow together until the harvest; and in the harvest season I will tell the reapers, First collect the weeds and bind them in bundles to burn them up, then go to gathering the wheat into my storehouse.?"....... 36 Then after dismissing the crowds he went into the house. And his disciples came to him and said: "Explain to us the illustration of the weeds in the field." 37
    In response he said: "The sower of the fine seed is the Son of man; 38 the field is the world; as for the fine seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; but the weeds are the sons of the wicked one, 39 and the enemy that sowed them is the Devil. The harvest is a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels. 40 Therefore, just as the weeds are collected and burned with fire, so it will be in the conclusion of the system of things. 41 The Son of man will send forth his angels, and they will collect out from his kingdom all things that cause stumbling and persons who are doing lawlessness, 42 and they will pitch them into the fiery furnace. There is where [their] weeping and the gnashing of [their] teeth will be. 43 At that time the righteous ones will shine as brightly as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Let him that has ears listen.

Holly - I spent 45 years -[baptized for 32] believing all that the Watchtower said - I find that I can no longer accept the hatred and mind control of the group. I love the people - and it was the hardest thing I ever did to leave - but I had to go and trust Jesus instead of a group of men in Brooklyn whose claims can be clearly refuted by those who have seen the facts. They simply cannot prove that they were ever selected by Christ - and that is the point isn't it - it is just assertion with no proof.

You must live your life -and we will accept you as you are - no judgment here. But do yourself the biggest favor of your life and read the History of the Watchtower organization from sources outside before you join them.

Whatever you decide - may God bless you.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Holly -

I don't know why that post came out so chopped up - every time I edit it it gets worse. Sorry.

Point is; Jesus is the way and the truth and the life. No organization is ever refered to. And all Christians would be sorted out by the angels - not some group who judges all as unworthy but those who join them. There is nothing to support those ideas in scripture at all.

I have sacrificed community and some family to leave. I deal with guilt and anger and frustration in my leaving. But I know I had to leave after a lifetime as a witness - not so much due to the major doctrines - but because this is not how Christ said he would determine who loved him. There is no evidence to support the WT claim to be God's exclusive people - none. All the dates are wrong - or just speculation. But they will not allow you to know that -and will expel you as 'evil' if u do. Jesus also said that all 'will know you are mine, if you have love among yourselves'. The friends I and my wife had for 45 years have turned back to us as if we were murderers, on the gossip of others - that cannot be the love that Christ referred to.

Enough said - sorry to ramble on.

Whatever decision you make - we do not judge you. Christ is your judge. Remember that.

May God bless - Jeff

• Jez
    Jez

mkr, you are right on. That is exactly how I feel. To hell with debating forever the doctrines of different religions...fact is...THIS religion may be worse than all others and for my eternal salavation (if there is one), I CANNOT in all good conscience be associated with such an organization. If God is going to destroy 'Babylon the Great' and all those associated with it, ask yourself if you are positive it does not apply to JW's.

At least other religions TRY to practice love. GOD IS LOVE. Basic to me. JW TRY hard to practice hate, foster hate, roll in it and stink of it. They rub their hands in glee over the 'impending' Armageddon where billions will be..yippeeeeee..killed by God! Bye bye to evil men, women, children, babies, etc. Because that, despite their attempt at their current attempt at political correctness, is what they really believe. All Non-JW's are going to be murdered by God.

I cannot turn a blind eye to the glaring wrongs of this organization and only look at the sugarcoating on the poisonous candy, anymore, but if you can.....none of my business.

Jez

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I really like this board. I hate making this statement bec i dont want you to all start hating me. but since i came on here i have been researching a lot. all the stuff that people comment on, on here. all the stuff the jws have given me to read. jewish history. history of the church. most importantly i have been reading the bible for myself. i read the NIV. i compare with the others, new world, king james and good news. i have read large chunks of it. every time i read it i find the jws quite scriptural. please dont all jump on me. i really dont want to leave this site. just wanted to say this, thats all.

holly

you have got to be kidding. lol!!!

Josie

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    please dont all jump on me.

Define 'jump'.

Well, I can understand the pull, but would just warn you to make sure that you are not just reading from their materials and 'bible study aids'. There are many study aids available that can offer at least a well rounded view of scriptural interperetation, and give you food for thought.

Personally, I cannot get past the fact that the early Christians viewed Christ as their mediator, and there is absolutely nothing to indicate that this ever changed for any who claim to be Christain. Therefore the entire idea that a group of men are my only mediator to God is repulsive to me. Check this out. They will offer some vague references, but nothing concrete.

Secondly, they will deny, deny, deny that they are or ever have viewed themselves as prophets, yet they do prophesy dates for events. That makes them prophets. Sadly, they have a 100% failure rate on their predictions which makes them false prophets. They can dance the tango to try to get around this point, but they cannot escape the truth of their failures. Why would I want to be tied to a group which associates their worship with a false prophet? I can't.

Keep us posted, Holly. And, "see" you after work!

J

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

now for a more thoughful reply. I dont agree with the doctrine of the society because they have taken away the power and the reason for Christ's sacrafice and denied to the rank and file jws the grace of God and Jesus - in other words Jesus Christ is not the mediator for the rank and file jws but only for the so-called bride of Christ, the 144,000.

Please read Romans especially Romans chapter 4 where it speak that those who believe (have faith) are saved by grave or in the words used by the society "God's undeserved kindness" and those who are saved by grace are not saved by works (WHICH IS WHAT THE SOCIETY WANTS YOU TO BELIEVE, BECAUSE YOU ARE NO GOOD TO THEM IF YOU DO NO WORKS) because to be saved by works is to render the sacrafice of the Christ have no meaning.

Also read this scripture:

"Ephesians 2:8-9 8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith ? and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God 9: not by works, so that no one can boast. "

Do more research, take off the binders of the watchtower society - they dont have the truth (as if anyone does) and are misleading those who follow them.

Josie

• jschwehm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit