I think the jws might be right

by holly 114 Replies latest jw friends

• holly
    holly
    Why are you seeking an organised religion?

bec the bible says in the last days there will be a witness to all the inhabited earth and then the end will come. so are there individuals out there, not involved in any organisation doing this ?

also - the early christians set up congregations - i would have thought it figured it was alright to do that now, so somewhere there is a congregation of people with the truth. i thought was a logical thing to assume from reading what happened with first century christians.

i wasnt prime meat for the church - even though i do believe the bible is right. bec they never gave me satisfactory answers. ive been given a brain to think with. i want to serve god. and some of his people have the truth, bec the bible says so. just a matter of who.

holly

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

A minimal amount of research will show you they have never been right...OUTLAW

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Holly -

B4 you start that new thread - just scroll back up and re-read Little Toe, ozziepost, Almost Atheist, and BeeBee. There is a ton of good things to think about there. This represents more years of real, gritty experience in the organization than you will live. The advise is invaluable. And on spot. I cannot add to it.

One little statement;

Look hard before you leap. Once you leap in - the only means out are all painful and will take years to recover from. Free advise from those who know will save you cost you cannot imagine.

Good Luck

Jeff

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Hi Holly

I've just joined & feel about where you are at. I was brough up a catholic, then senevth day adventist - pure Bible but diff interpretations on some points. Adventists thought up many of the current JW doctrines & gave them to Russell. I have tried several churches since then, but mostly stayed away from all. Still don't attend anything. Someone suggested a book by Ray Franz. His "Crisis of Conscience" and "In Search of Christian Freedom" were a revelation to me when my best mate was preparing for JW baptism (due in June) Franz was the guy who set up the JW governing body in its present role. He is sincere and forgiving despite what they did to him. He clearly loves and lives the Bible and helps me find some real answers. His books give the alternative understanding for all JW doctrines. It has really made me think. If you find the truth Holly please don't forget to tell me about it. Til then I'll stick with The Bible & Jesus (without any human mediators or religion). All the best.

• holly
    holly

thanks jaffacake, i appreciate what you say and understand where you are coming from. im not actually involved in any group at the moment. but i would never be involved with the church again that i do know.

holly

• beebee
    beebee

Holly,

I can understand how you may like their approach to the bible, so I am not going to get involved in the right or wrong of their translation. Besides I'm not qualified to debate that. But I was thinking about you when I was picking up my son today and the movie "Sophie's Choice" came to mind. I don't know if you are a parent yet; it sounds like you aren't, so maybe this isn't something you can understand yet, but anyway... If you didn't see the movie, it is about a woman in WWII who must decide whether or not to let the Nazis take her daughter off to the gas chambers, in exchange for her son and herself living (at least for a while longer). The choice, they both die now, or she dies and he lives. She let them take their daughter, but as time went on, she ended up not just regreting that choice, but losing her mind and soul.

The choice of the active dub parent is often similar. It seems few families manage to keep ALL of their adult children in "the truth." Even those that might have kids officially in, know their kids are living double lives, or on the edge. Thus these children will not meet the criteria for paradise. They will all die (per the WT). Parents are supposed to shun their kids that leave. To obey the rules and qualify for salvation, they must cut off kids that are baptised, then later leave or are thrown out.

I remember when my girls were babies and both in car seats, we were driving over a bridge. I'm paranoid of bridges. So I'm thinking, what if we fell into the water and there wasn't enough time to get them both out of the car? Would I choose one, which would I choose, or would we all go down together. My decision, probably what most parents would say, is that I could not choose one child over the other, but would go down with both. It may not seem logical if they aren't your children, but love isn't logical.

To me the choice is the same. Can you really choose one child over another? Or would you all die together? Would you want to live and eternal life if one or more didn't?

As to my questions in the last post, the only right answers are the ones you can live with.

This religion is more than a belief system, it's a culture with a highly regimented and structured set of rules. If you get baptised, you have to accept the rules and lifestyle with the belief system.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    i wasnt prime meat for the church - even though i do believe the bible is right. bec they never gave me satisfactory answers. ive been given a brain to think with. i want to serve god. and some of his people have the truth, bec the bible says so. just a matter of who.

holly

I highly recommend you use your thinking brain to uncover the truth about the Bible which is the corner stone of all organized Christian religion. Once you discover what the Bible is all about you can then begin the journey of figuring out how you and a creator fit into the universe, which doesn't have to enclude organized religion in any way shape or form. Spare yourself some grief!

but i would never be involved with the church again that i do know.

holly

Your use of the word church baffles me? Do you mean Kingdom Hall or Congregation? Those are JW terms to describe church. Were you ever a JW, sorry I haven't read through this entire thread and forget if you said you were or not?

Kate

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey holly,

Just to respond to a few things you said....

the jws use the bible as their yardstick - whether they interpret right or wrongly, they use the bible.

The Bible can be interpreted rightly or wrongly to support almost anything. Heck, if you believe the Bible itself, it was interpreted correctly to support genocide of the Canaanites by its first followers.

the bible calls us to be like jesus - they follow that to the letter from what i can see.

The Witnesses are not like how the Bible describes Jesus. Read the gospel accounts and you get the picture of a pretty open-hearted guy, trying to teach people love and acceptance. The Witnesses have precious little of either of those.

the blood issue - big issue - it does say abstain from blood - again that could be interpretation and they may be wrong. they may however be right.

You shouldn't base life decisions on the remote possibility that someone may be right. I believe in a Pink Unicorn on Pluto, and although I may be wrong about it, I may be right, so I follow his instructions just in case. See how crazy it sounds? Believe things that stand up to strong critical analysis. Doing something superstitious, "just to be on the safe side," actually puts you in a very dangerous situation by causing you to act in ways you don't fully understand. (C.f. Stevie Wonder, "When you believe in things that you don't understand / You just suffer / Superstition ain't the way." )

some one has the truth

Whoa, whoa, whoa. BIG assumption there. Check your premises. Seriously. Think about this one. There are many levels of assumption that are happening here. You're assuming there is such a thing as "religious truth" to begin with, then secondly, that it can be known by humans in our present state. You're also making huge assumptions as to what the content of such "truth" would be (for example, that the "end" is coming).

Think about this, holly. When human knowledge advances, people all over the world receive and accept the new knowledge because it makes sense and is beneficial. So, for example, when we learned that the earth was, in fact, not the center of the universe as once believed, although there was some initial resistance to the idea, in the end people accepted it because it was clearly in line with the facts and it enabled us to understand the universe much more accurately. Only nut-cases take issue with the idea now.

How about religious ideas? How do they stack up? For some reason, when some group comes out with a new book on How To Know God, it doesn't send shockwaves through the world. Why? Because invariably, the message is not convincing, not useful, and not clearly true to the majority of people.

Educated people all believe pretty much the same thing with regard to the physical universe. But not all educated people believe the same thing with regard to religious ideas. The reason is that there is not one clearly satisfying answer. If there were, people would adopt it, and pretty soon just about everybody would believe it. If you believe that six million people on the face of the earth have that "truth," and the rest of us are just to stupid or bull-headed to accept it, I think you have a skewed concept of humanity. I for one would gladly accept any new concept if I found it useful, reasonable, and satisfying.

Just some food for thought. Don't drink the Kool-Aid just yet. Keep that thinking cap on. :-)

SNG

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    The Witnesses are not like how the Bible describes Jesus. Read the gospel accounts and you get the picture of a pretty open-hearted guy, trying to teach people love and acceptance. The Witnesses have precious little of either of those.

SNG,

I'll most likely fall asleep mumbling this tonight! I feel as though I've thought this and wrote this so much today!

It is absolutely true. The WTS has taken the very essence of Jesus, his message and his teachings, and have concocted a whole "new" Jesus for themselves.

I am positive that they will be held accountable for everything they have done, said and twisted. In the meantime, it hurts so much to see nice people falling for their clever (but deceptive) words and beliefs.

Annie

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Holly all the best to you. Noone wants to be you right now, though we all have. To ask you to read the Bible research threads more carefully might be interpreted as trying to stumble you, in reality i am convinced the best way to peace is to come to terms with the Bible as a collection of religious writings rather than an instruction manual from God. How deeply this book has influenced our culture, much like the Koran has the Muslim world. Do you feel it would be appropriate for Muslim to research the accuracy and trustworthiness of the Koran? I'm sure you do. How much suffering would be spared if all the world approached religion with this sober demand for proof.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit