Ex-JW Mother attempts suicide with children and fails! My Family Tragedy

by Utopian Reformist 1242 Replies latest members private

• bebu
    bebu

Additional thought: I think lurkers should consider sending a card, too! No one will ever know who you are; the left hand won't know what the right is doing--a real opportunity. Leave off the return address to remain anonymous. There's a challenge to rise to; no one here will ever know. It's between you and God...

Happydad, thanks for the kind words. ...I hope you could read this whole thread and come away feeling that no one here considers Mario a 'pity project'. He is a person worthy of the investment of encouragement. I hope Mario can always recognize that, too... It's an odd feeling to be on the receiving end... (Yea, I know how it feels! )

bebu

PS: I love all you guys, too!

Bem, you and LoT are especially stalwart friends of Mario's, and I tip my hat to you both.

• bem
    bem

Love to all and a big group hug needed,((((((((((( group ))))))))))))

Bebu your an inspiration BEMsMom

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Sorry I didn't see that Mario's address had been posted earlierJust finished writing a note in a card. Envelope is addressed and ready to go out tomorrow. Just wish I had a little something to tuck inside... That's alright. I'll have something next week and I can write again then. Right? Right. Thanks bebu!!!

~Merry (of the We're-all-in-this-together Class)

• sf
    sf

Unless you are registered to this news outlet, you won't see this article. So I will paste it:

Mother indicted on charges tied to fire that killed daughter

05:16 PM EDT on Friday, April 8, 2005

projo.com staff

PROVIDENCE -- A one-time candidate for governor was indicted today on murder and arson charges stemming from a fire that killed her 12-year-old daughter last year.

Tonya Fuller Balletta, 37, of 36 Ophelia St., Providence, was charged with one count of murder, one count of first-degree arson, three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, two counts of resisting arrest, and one count of assault with the intent to commit murder.

The indictment was handed up today by the Providence County grand jury, according to an announcement by the state Attorney General's Office.

Fuller Balletta's daughter, Talia Balletta, was trapped in a burning bedroom on Oct. 29 after her mother allegedly barricaded their house and set fire to the room to prevent the state police from serving her with a warrant.

Talia had struggled for a month to survive second- and third-degree burns over half of her body before dying Nov. 29 at Hasbro Children's Hospital.

Police officers had dragged Talia's mother and Talia's sister, Marina, 13, out through the bedroom windows, but they couldn't get to Talia. Firefighters found her in the bedroom closet.

The events of that day were set off when a state trooper went to the house at 36 Ophelia St. with an old warrant. Fuller Balletta was wanted for allegedly writing a bad check in 1989.

When the trooper tried persuading Fuller Balletta to go with him to the station, she became enraged and screamed to her daughters that the trooper was hurting her, according to the state police.

The girls tried to defend their mother by hitting and kicking him, and one of the girls retrieved a can of pepper spray when Fuller Balletta shouted for it, the police said.

The trooper was forced outside, and the house was barricaded. More state troopers and Providence police officers arrived, and Fuller Balletta's estranged husband, Mario, tried talking to her through the locked door, but she didn't respond, the police said.

After the lights went off inside the house, the police burst in. They found the mother and her daughters in a back bedroom clutching knives and sitting near a mattress that had been set on fire. Fuller Balletta allegedly told the daughters the police were there to kill them.

Forced back outside by the heat and smoke, the police called the Fire Department and reached into their cruisers for extinguishers to fight the fire, according to the police.

The police were able to grab for Fuller Balletta and Marina and pull them through the window, although Fuller Balletta continued to fight them, according to the police.

But Talia had crawled into a closet. Firefighters found her later and revived her, according to the Fire Department.

Fuller Balletta is scheduled for arraignment in Providence County Superior Court on April 27.

Fuller Balletta was previously charged in District Court, and she is still being held without bail at Eleanor Slater Hospital, per order of a District Court judge, according to the attorney general's office.

With charges pending in District Court, Fuller Balletta was previously found incompetent to stand trial, but now that the case is moving into Superior Court, she could be subject to another competency hearing, according to the attorney general's office.

In 2002, Fuller Balletta announced her campaign to become the first black and the first woman to serve as Rhode Island governor, although she acknowledged that she had only voted for the first time a year earlier. She was raised a Jehovah's Witness and said her church had discouraged political involvement.

In April 2002, Fuller Balletta entered the field of three Democrats and three Republicans as an independent candidate for governor. She told a reporter that she had become so frustrated with programs for gifted students in public schools that she pulled both of her daughters out and home-schooled them.

Her gubernatorial campaign foundered under questions about the validity of her nomination papers.

{{ tight hugs mario!!! }}

Love, sKally

• Bryan
    Bryan

Perhaps a little justice for Talia and Mario.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• bebu
    bebu

bttt

• hubert
    hubert

bttt

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Dear JWD Family:

It has been a very long time since I have had access to a connected device with internet access. Unfortunately, I was not able to maintain telephone, cell phone and internet access. I am hoping for improvement. Since my last update, I caused myself some additional suffering.

I was experiencing a major depressive cycle lasting mroe than two weeks during March. I became suicidal again and purchased an over-the-counter box of maximum strength sleeping pills from CVS. I consumed all 24 pills and a bottle of Merlot. I was not able to sleep until the next morning at 10AM. I was unconscious for two and a half days.

A neighbor did not see me, nor see my vehicle change position, therefore she called the authorities. I was taken to Butler Hospital again for treatment and evaluation. I was warned by the resident psychiatric physician, and also warned by both of my therapists and social workers that if another incident of this nature occurred, they would be forced to ask the court to intervene and intern me as a patient under state care.

I promised to avoid drugs and medications. I attended a group therapy session and the RIVASC counselors were helpful. I also cancelled an order at the local gun shop I had placed back in February. It has been difficult and impossible to explain. My relationship with Marina is very platonic and we have finally had more serious discussions about life and the future.

She has definitely decided to remain with the Fuller Family. She has asked me to temporarily award guardianship to Tonya's twin sister "Tammy Fuller", who by coincidence is pregant, unmarried and was recently ejected from her parent's home due to the congregational situation (some family support, huh?).

That is none of my business however, I am only concerned that Marina is truly aware and understands the decisions she is making on her own. I am not upset and realize she is still under her mother's influence and is still convinced her mother did NOT do anything wrong. I do not have the resources or power to effect any change, improvement, influence or control at this time. Hopefully, she will remember that I pulled her from the flames (not the police), and that despite the court restraining order, I did not prevent her from speaking to her mother or visiting her in person with the Fuller family. I could have been insistent and spoiteful, but realized she loves her mother more and still believes she needs her mother as a parent.

I now realize how sick, selfish and deranged Tonya was to insist the girls remain in the bedroom as I feverishly called for them outside the barricaded door. She manipulated them into believing there were no other options and only because she was in trouble and too much of a coward to face her past alone, as she should have in the first place. Thus, in order to avoid the unpleasant, she selfishly decided to act with malice. Talia paid the price. I am only sorry there is no death penalty. For her sake, I hope Tonya is never parolled or released from prison.

Onto secular aspects. I have had difficulty locating work. Fortunately, the amazing love and kindness (JWD Family) has sustained me thru a very difficult and depressing winter. I am keeping tabs and will not forget the display of love, constant cards, letters and thoughts arriving from everywhere and beyond. I have NOT been abandoned. I LOVE YOU ALL!

I am trying to recover belongings from the fire before the foreclosure prevents any further access into the house. There is so much work to do there and so many sentimental items from what once was a thriving little family. It is painful to accept the loss of all of Talia's belongings after she already lost so much that it feels like another indignity. I long for real justice.

I am trying to stop hiding from the public and attempting to make contact with others. It is really hard and there are so many reminders everywhere that continue pulling on my heart strings. Anyway, I wanted to update all of you, thank all of you and let you know that you are in my heart. I wish you could all be present and share my tears when I open your mail. Someday, if I ever regain the mental strength, I plan to write a book about these events.

Please take care of yourselves, know your love is NOT in vain and I am trying very hard. I miss all of you and cannot wait to have access again so I can be a regular poster and share in helping others in our family. I will try to visit this library again soon and post another update. I am told that later this month, I will be subpoenaed by the court to testify against Tonya. I look forward with anticipation.

Love
    MJB

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

It´s so good to hear from you again. I´ve been little worried about you. Lazy

• kls
    kls

What can a person say after all you have been through and are going through,the words are hard to find but i know i want you to do the best you can and we don't want to lose you .I hope soon you can see light at the end of this long tunnel and start to have some normal in you're life.

Thanks so much for the update and my thoughts and all my hope's are with you.

I am so sorry any of this has happened.

You're friend ,Kathy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit