Could This Be the Most Repellent Watchtower ....Ever?

by metatron 166 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Cute, Prop. If you would, please answer my question that I raised yesterday. Why do YOU support the WT.?

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny
    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ Examples of Fallacies :AKA:"DON'T PISS DOWN MY BACK AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING" Boloney Detection Kit

1. Inductive Argument

Premise 1: Most American cats are domestic house cats.
      Premise 2: Bill is an American cat.
      Conclusion: Bill is domestic house cat.

2. Factual Error

Columbus( discovered America) is the capital of the United States.

3. Deductive Fallacy

Premise 1: If Portland is the capital of Maine, then it is in Maine.
      Premise 2: Portland is in Maine.
      Conclusion: Portland is the capital of Maine.
      (Portland is in Maine, but Augusta is the capital. Portland is the largest city in Maine, though.)

4. Inductive Fallacy

Premise 1: Having just arrived in Ohio, I saw a white squirrel.
      Conclusion: All Ohio Squirrels are white.
      (While there are many, many squirrels in Ohio, the white ones are very rare).

Index

1. Ad Hominem
    2. Ad Hominem Tu Quoque
    3. Appeal to Authority
    4. Appeal to Belief
    5. Appeal to Common Practice
    6. Appeal to Consequences of a Belief
    7. Appeal to Emotion
    8. Appeal to Fear
    9. Appeal to Flattery
    10. Appeal to Novelty
    11. Appeal to Pity
    12. Appeal to Popularity
    13. Appeal to Ridicule
    14. Appeal to Spite
    15. Appeal to Tradition
    16. Bandwagon
    17. Begging the Question
    18. Biased Sample
    19. Burden of Proof
    20. Circumstantial Ad Hominem
    21. Composition
    22. Confusing Cause and Effect
    23. Division
    24. False Dilemma
    25. Gambler's Fallacy
    26. Genetic Fallacy
    27. Guilt By Association
    28. Hasty Generalization
    29. Ignoring A Common Cause
    30. Middle Ground
    31. Misleading Vividness
    32. Personal Attack
    33. Poisoning the Well
    34. Post Hoc
    35. Questionable Cause
    36. Red Herring
    37. Relativist Fallacy
    38. Slippery Slope
    39. Special Pleading
    40. Spotlight
    41. Straw Man
    42. Two Wrongs Make A Right

"SELF-TERMINATING CLICHES-------all apostates are 'full of hate' and 'hate the truth'.the JW as the articulated manipulator

Danny's dangerous words dictionary

cognitive dissonance : When Prophecies Fail A Sociological Perspective on Failed Expectation in the Watchtower Society by Randall Watters:

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/propfail.htm

DANNY CALLS THIS CULT PHENOMENON (cognitive dissonance); "JUSTIFICATION OF SOUR GRAPES". e.g.The car of my dreams was sold to another party just as i got there,ahhh,it was probably a lemon anyway...

Last but not least:"apostate opposers R full of bleep cause they like to,""Throw around LARGE words" to show that they R know-it-alls"

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Yah'll hear the latest subterfuge from the Watchtower apologist;"so what if we are a false religion,cause the other churches are bogus too"? Excuse me! That's like World com saying:"so what if we defrauded our investors of their savings,cause Enron ripped off their people too. Jeffery Damher;"so what if I killed cause,.....charles manson killed too."

• UpAndAtom
    UpAndAtom

Buddhism teaches that one must help him/herself first, then your family, then your friends, then any employees, and then your community. This makes good sense, since each step will prepare you for the next one. The basical ideas is you get stronger with each step. By the time you get around to helping your community you should have an excellent chance of success because you will be backed up by family, friends and employees.

The WatchTower is just being a normal company, their first goal is too look after itself first (as with all companies), then it?s family, then it?s employees, then the community at large? but here?s where it gets interesting! The JW?s have no social programs to help people in the community. There are no shelters for the homeless, nor food collection or distribution points. They will not help you find work (as many other social agencies do in our town ? which actually earns them money from the Govt.) They will no give you bread, nor food vouchers. There is no office you can turn too in an emergency. There is no phone number. It?s hard to partake of spiritual food when you?re staving, and the local kingdom hall just does not cut it!

When my family hit rock-bottom and I was stealing food for us to eat. I realized things were bad, and I needed some help. I sought the help of charities.

The local Salvation Army office (http://www.sa.org.au/) helped me within 2 days with a $50 food voucher no questions asked (with the promise of another should I need it ? I didn?t)

The St. Vincent de Paul society (http://www.vinnies.org.au/) came around to our house that very night with 3 shopping bags full of groceries as well as several bags of bread. They asked us no questions whatsoever, no appointment, no paperwork, no preaching, absolutely nothing ? they basically dropped off the food and said, ?enjoy?. An elderly couple from the local church in their 60?s did the shopping right after my phone call and brought it around. I was dumbstruck and it brought tears to my eyes that I had been shown such as compassionate act.

I?m now back on my feet, and only yesterday I passed by a homeless man (rents have sky-rocketed in own town), and just as I was shown compassion, so too did I show compassion. I gave the homeless man money (good money) no questions asked. If I was a JW then there is a good chance I would not have helped this man when he needed it. The best time to help someone is when he or she asks. The best way to learn compassion is to have compassion shown to you. I got no help from my brother who is a JW. They don?t learn compassion. I would hate to survive ?their? Armageddon, only to be trapped with people that have no compassion. That?s my idea of hell!

When I asked my JW brother what they do for people who are down and out, he protested and said, ?We help in other ways!? Then I asked him the phone number of where I could get help, and he admitted that they didn?t help the community like that. There was no number? there are no chickens!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Minimus:

You asked why I support JW's. This question itself shows how far into the hatred end of the love-hate spectrum you are. You perceive my "ordinary" attempts at fairness as being support.

My personal view of Jehovah's Witnesses springs from my high capacity to tolerate ambiguity. I don't expect everyone to have the same tolerance. But I do expect people to exhibit fairness. I have no objection to "serious" discussion of JW doctrine but I would caution the undecided "lurkers" not to get caught up in the hysterical explosions of hate that have become common to this discussion group.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Undaunted:

I appreciate a lot of what you post...now that I have gotten used to your Carrot Top mode of presentation.

I don't give the Watchtower a free ride. I object to a lot of what they say. I don't judge religion as being "true" or "false". I look at specific teachings as "believable" or "unbelievable".

• proplog2
    proplog2

Upandatom:

My own witness parents failed to help me out on an occasion where I had a serious health problem. The congregation DID come to my aid though. They asked me if I have family that could help me. I explained my familys attitude. So they got together and paid my hospital bill.

This tells me that my family were A-Hole Christians but the congregation did the right thing.

As far as the complaint against JW's not running food pantrys etc. Every organization is free to define themselves as to the good they choose to do. This is the same for individuals. Russell had it in his head that his organization would never copy the other religions in their demands for money. Although this was a noble goal it has limited them in the scope of their charity. They pretty much have depended on voluntary labor and contributions. If they started to provide food pantrys (salvation army) healthclubs (YMCA) hospitals then they would have to actively spend most of their time raising funds for those purposes. Perhaps they would have to "tax" their members based on their income.

I have heard of many very heartening stories of JW's helping the needy. It would be interesting to see a thread about such stories. Most participants in this forum know of cases of JW generosity - but the culture here is to ridicule and criticize JW's.

• jgnat
    jgnat

..but does the JW culture foster or inhibit charity? I would say, because of the many rules regarding association with ordinary folk, that the WTS promotes a disinterested attitude towards their neighbour.

At least, that has been my experience.

When my JW husband's mother died, my staff made sure there bundles and bundles of flowers waiting for us when we got home. I had never received so many flowers in my life! Three guesses how many cards, flowers, or words of condolence my husband received from the Kingdom Hall.

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Open your eyes,hello! The "emperor has no clothes"

WEB RESULTS ZERO! We didn't find any Web pages containing "Jehovah's Witnesses charities. Results for charities : Catholic Results 1 - 10 of about 398,000 for catholic charities. vs. Watchtower big fat zero "0" Jesus said; "by their fruits you will know them" [Matthew 7: 15] James said;" to look after widows and orphans in their tribulation,for this is what God accepts." [ James 1:27] James didn't say anything about $elling Watchtowers.

[ Listen up!! If you're a 'pioneer sister' (missionary)

You are not Mother Teressa.

You are TYPHOID MARY. ]

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nice one on the charities Dan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit