JWD ....the opium of the Ex ?

by ScoobySnax 112 Replies latest jw friends

• codeblue
    codeblue

Nice try, but I don't believe that JWD is a "religion"...........far from it.

You have been here way longer than me to post such a topic. What is your point?????????? This isn't a religion........it is a discussion board....................understand???????

Codeblue

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

There must be something in the air, today - LOL.

Firstly, my comment about him being a Brit had only to do with the fact that his being a fellow-countryman (albeit probably an English tosser j/k) drew my attention to him. I'm not calling for any preferential treatment, especially not based upon national predilection.

Further, the quotation of mine, which you cited, had less to do with the golden rule and but more to do with our perceptions - how we deal internally with that which occurs around us.

Gah!! - give me some opium, to take my mind off this stromash - LOL.

• ball.
    ball.

So... why is Scoob not coming to the BBQ?

• minimus
    minimus

I noticed part of the reason this thread was made was because of me. Let me express a few thoughts. IN PRINCIPLE, I agree with what Scoob says. For the record, I have expressed my dismay with Scooby many times over a number of threads because he throws grenades and charges and opinions yet when called on them either deftly or not so deftly sidesteps them. I have expressed this opininon to him before......We like JWD because it is THE forum. This forum has the best traffic and many of us have had the ability to hopefully help some people out there in cyberspace to see that JWs DO NOT have the truth!!!!!!........I too find that JWD is quite similar to the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". There are sanctions, reproofs---both public and private, cliques, removals, etc. that are just too similar to the "congregation". We can point all day long to other places that also do the same on their boards but the truth is we ARE a special group, we were once or are still JWs. We sadly have the same mindset as JWs because we belonged to a cult and we thought/think like a cult. Some here are far removed from this thinking and others are not. When Simon and other mods get disturbed because some of us see the comparisons of JWD and JWs, they should not get perturbed. Those of us that see the similarities have our own opinion. We are not trying to attack the administration nor are we trying to ridicule the operators of this board.......One thing I've found about many of those that post here is that this place is a substitution for what we once had. Many NEED to have a forum or some sort of an organization to belong to in order to feel good about themselves. Some might not like to acknowledge this but I do believe this to be true. Is that necessarily a bad thing??? I don't think so. Personally, I feel that there should be less sanctions here and more openmindedness. My opinion is that this is still the BEST site out there. The administrators should be happy that we can disagree yet not try to be disagreeable. I believe it is healthy to have a variance of opinions. When we are not able to express the simplest of opinions that might be contrary to the majorities view, then we are veering toward the JW "theocracy" mindset. I can only suggest that we reconsider what this board has actually become. We need not sanction those that disagree with us because of simple difference of opinion. Rather than be "thinskinned" and overly opinionated, why not celebrate the differences we all have? This board can be even better----if only we realized that we can speak freely---pro and con about our convictions and thoughts----without ever worrying that what we might say will get us "demoted" in some way or another.

• talesin
    talesin

Oy, to be relegated to the position of conduit! J/K Here's a msg from Scoob via PM,

Please let the others know I am not being rude in t not replying, I am just unable to. On the whole they are a good bunch of people, and even if I don't say it sometimes, I respect alot of them.....

He's out of posts. Have encouraged him to come to the bbq, pls do same.

Remember, we never know what is going on in another's head.

t

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Sorry Scoob, this topic is grasping at straws.

I come here to this site not to get high, but to get some validation that I am not the evil satanic person that the mind bending cult of JWs is making me out to be. I am trying to recover. This site gives me the opportunity to speak out and purge some of the garbage I was programmed with over the years.

There are some good people here who have also been abused--I like to be supportive of their recovery too. The site is set up well and in the few months I have been here I have seen more mercy extended towards others than I saw in my 20 years of being a part of the Org collective.

cybs

• ball.
    ball.

Well, I have told scoob to come in no uncertain words, it was something like, "get off your arse", well it's up to him now, he knows he would be greeted by nothing less than a beer in the hand and a smile.

• Xena
    Xena

I suppose if it makes you feel better to think that Scoob...then what the heck? Doesn't hurt me....

tal...the abbreviations are driving me nuts

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

too find that JWD is quite similar to the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". There are sanctions, reproofs---both public and private, cliques, removals, etc. that are just too similar to the "congregation".

Can you explain to us just how different these 'sanctions, reproofs' etc are from discussion Boards not run by XJW's? The Internet is peppered with discussion Boards which have as stringent, if not far more stringent requirements for posting than JWD.

It seems to me that these sorts of comments are made by those who are still heavily influenced by the WTS. They see Kingdom Halls looming at them from the mists of any group choosing to exercise any semblance of authority.

I have actually argued vigorously for a special dispensation where XJW's are concerned, I have argued and argue that the rules that others apply on other sites might not apply to the unique situation that XJW's find themselves it. Having lived in a repressive regime, many need to flex their social wings and sometimes this is not a pretty sight. But people need to understand that the behavioral requirements and tools for controlling this database are *NO* different than thousands of non XJW Discussion Boards.

If they are, I would be interested to hear your evidence of just how they *are* different.

Best regards - HS

• patio34
    patio34

Xena, Great reply!

HillaryStep, Good response to request more specific information in how JWD differs from other boards.

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit