JWD ....the opium of the Ex ?

by ScoobySnax 112 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Craig,

I have no argument with you. We can agree to disagree.

I wish you well, and I mean just that.

Scott

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Facing what you've been asked, and answering accordingly (sooner or later).

Yeah that kind of sums how I'm feeling.

If all this whining is about the number of posts your account has, well I must admit to being more than a little frustrated. I'm uncomfortable with labels, but the consistent dodging of questions, coupled with bitch-and-moan threads like this does give the appearance of someone who is only interested in stirring the pot.

I've erased a rather long reply because after reading it, I realized you are not going to respond to any question, or salient point that is opposite what you want at this instant in time. So making a reasoned, logical explanation becomes irrelevent. You know only what you want. You want it right now, and if you don't get it you'll whine until you do.

Chris

• TD
    TD

Scoob,

Are you sure you understand Marx's analysis and critique of religion? .

According to Marx, religion is an expression of material realities and economic injustice. To him it was a tool of oppressors to make the oppressed feel better about the distress they experience due to being poor and exploited. This is the origin of his comment that religion is the "opium of the masses." Religion dulled the senses to reality in a manner analogous to an opium induced stupor

Except through misrepresenting Marx, I'm not sure how this could be applied to JWD, a place where the facade not just of the JW brand of religion, but of religion in general is mercilessly torn off, ad nauseam.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: the opium of the Ex ?

Depends upon your point of view. Was the Declaration of Independence the "opium" of the US patriots? Was the Magna Carta the "opium" of the serfs who wanted to be free?

Is speaking about evil "opium?" If so, how so?

Farkel

• talesin
    talesin

To those who are acting angry, frustrated and critical:

Do you think we can we have a bit more patience for someone who is having his own crisis of conscience, and is choosing to debate the issues with us, instead of stewing in his own juices alone?

Who else does he have to ask these questions of? How long did it take YOU to leave the JWs?

Oh no, WE are not judgemental.

my two

talesin

Edited to add: Ducks, and runs out of thread!

• onacruse
    onacruse

tales:

How long did it take YOU to leave the JWs?

Oh no, WE are not judgemental.

It took me over 20 years.

My point: FACE IT!

Life plays hard, and with no mercy.

Craig

• talesin
    talesin
    It took me over 20 years.

My point: FACE IT!

Life plays hard, and with no mercy.

We all make decisions in our own way, and in our own time.

????? That's all I'm saying. Patience, my friend, patience.

There's lots of mercy in this world, but sometimes it's hard to see it, feel it, have it. Especially when life is giving us an incredibly overwhelming shit-kicking ourselves.

{{{Craig}}}

FACE IT sounds a bit much like GET OVER IT. Not words I like to hear, let alone say. After all, who am I to judge another's process? I can only hope to contribute to their healing, and in turn, learn a few lessons myself. Being here at JWD, has helped teach me humility, and respect for the time it takes to 'get over' being raised in da troot.

I understand. I ask for patience from others often. But can I give it? Not always, especially not when I'm in crisis myself. Perhaps I am being presumptuous. Please forgive me if that is the case. We all have our inner turmoils ... this is so hard at times.

tal

• bebu
    bebu

I am sometimes puzzled by the ire scooby raises in the moderators. I think his comparison isn't that accurate, but I think it is within the realm of general observations.

I don't know what's been going on behind the scenes, or the whole history of his posting... but sometimes it appears to me that posters can be overly sensitive to anyone who might criticize JWD. I write this realizing I might also be playing into a troll's hands. I hope not.

I wonder... if I had posted this thread's question, would anyone have considered me a troll? I'm not a recovering JW! I don't come here for the same reasons other posters do--not even scooby--so would people consider my 'observations' as valid and non-threatening?

So--I do disagree with scooby, but that's just because I am not needing "opium" anyway. Scooby: you must allow for other reasons for people to come here. I just find the discussions interesting, and the people I've "met" are very enjoyable. It's a relaxing and challenging thing to do--kinda like crossword puzzles.

bebu

• Simon
    Simon

Yawn ... the usual blah, blah, blah, scooby.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it.........but I do see a connection.

Yes, you are reading far more into it.

There are rules, 'authority' and enforecement of rules everywhere you look. At work, at the bank, at school, on the road - there are things that you can and can't do, people who can pull you up for things.

Do you stand complaining about them and making comparisons to the WTS? No ... it's rediculous.

Are MSN, Yahoo and a myriad other internet sites like the WTS simply because they have similar terms and conditions to what we have? No ... it's rediculous.

Get a clue.

• wasasister
    wasasister

Sincere question: Is "rediculous" an alternate spelling in Europe? I keep seeing the word spelled that way by Simon and wondered if it was like "theatre" or "colour".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit