JWD ....the opium of the Ex ?

by ScoobySnax 112 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Marx reckoned Religion was the Opium of the people, I'm no Marx, but I reckon JWd has become the opium of the exJws. It satisfies a need, gives one a purpose, feels someone with a greater sense of purpose, trys to give one a purpose and reason for being here, and very closely becomes a "religion" of sorts to many. Many here claim they stay to help others out of the WBTS, where in fact I think they stay because it has become their new "Opium" its a focal point they can meet with like minded individuals to further their own new "belief". Many here speak of a "conversion" from their former beliefs that borders on the "religious experience"and when questioned their zeal is as fervent as any religious person and is celebrated.

Everyone here hates any sort of comparison to former JW/WBTS belief structure, yet I can't help but see it too. We have the same Authoratarian structure. It does remain a free discussion forum, providing it fits within the accepted boundaries set by those "taking the lead" here. Punishment is often meted out in the form of posting restrictions, shunning or ridicule to some that might show a division, Conversion away from the JWs, to here is celebrated with an almost religious zeal, Long time members are closely nit into a "congregation" of support. Dissention on JWD is by no means tolerated.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it.........but I do see a connection.

Do you?

Scoob

• logansrun
    logansrun

Scoob,

I am sitting here in the smallest room in my house with the printed version of your post in front of me. It is now behind me.

*flush*....

B.

• avishai
    avishai

No. But it's interesting that you are finally acknowledging the Bullshit fo the JW's and THEIR authoritarian structure.

Love ya scoob!!!!

• Valis
  • ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Logans/Brad

It was no Sermon, you needn't have printed it and taken it into your smaller room to meditae on. Hope I didn't touch a nerve.

Avish, look a bit deeper.

Scoob

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

OH! Valis......welcome back, I missed you!. Thanks for the loverly photos of you at the District fish pond, my you caught some big ones!!

Sincerely

Scoob

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Its an observation BTW, not an attack.

• patio34
  • nilfun
    nilfun

Vestiges of our JW past appearing here...on this forum? C'mon now...

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Maybe Nilfun, maybe not. Its just my view.

I'm interested in hearing others views on this. I'm just stating my obsevations after 2 years.

Best.

Scoob

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit