JWD ....the opium of the Ex ?

by ScoobySnax 112 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Hillary, you continue to ignore the obvious. We are talking HERE about JW and exes and their perceptions. Regarding those that are on other boards, the typical exjw that never posted on the other boards will have no way to associate what is similar or not similar to the moderating that occurs.As long as I am unfamiliar with the other boards and their rules, I cannot answer your questions the way you would like. But I do understand your point. What you must appreciate is that our point of reference is this board and how JWs or exes relate to it and its mods.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Well, now, this could be very interesting, very interesting indeed!

I honestly think that HS won't mind if I state openly that he and I operate from very different ends of the "mod" philosophy.

Min, I await your responses to HS's last.

Craig

• minimus
    minimus

Ona, I just gave my answer. And I do not, for the record, think that the majority of mods do not do a very good job. I also think many elders take their responsibilities a bit too seriously, too. (But that's just from my limited experience).

• wednesday
    wednesday
    Bollocks. You enjoy being a martyr IMO.

lol Simon. Dolly Parton says "Get down off the cross, someone needs the wood" (from Straight Talk-the movie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Minimus,

I have not ignored the obvious, I have explored the obvious.

Respectfully my questions were specific ones. I wonder if you might answer them specifically. I think that we both understand where each of us is coming from, but more focused answers will certainly help me see this.

These are the questions again :

1) Now, if a moderator on JWD makes a decision regarding a poster who infringes on the Board rules and his decision actually mimics those taken by moderators on *non* XJW boards, does that make the moderator an 'elder', a 'mature one' an person trying to make a 'Kingdom Hall' on JWD?

2) If the answer is *no* to the above question, and yet a person continues to spout the same accusations each time the subject is raised, does that show that actually it is *they* who are being influenced by their WTS experiences and not the moderators?

3) Now, if the answer is *yes* or *yes* in certain situations, that is, that it does show that the moderators *are* acting like elders or 'mature ones', how would you differentiate what part of their behavior is being influenced by their JW experiences and what part is not?

4) How would you then rationalize such moderator decisions on JWD as opposed to the moderator decisions on *non* JW Boards?

The backdrop of my questions is this comment by you :

I too find that JWD is quite similar to the "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". There are sanctions, reproofs---both public and private, cliques, removals, etc. that are just too similar to the "congregation".

I too have argued for a special dispensation for XJW's. That is, that in many ways we are a special group and that given the embryonic social experience that many have, perhaps a more relaxed approach should be taken as people learn to stretch their social wings. Howver, I have always been highly suspicous of the 'you moderators act like elders' mantra, because it is based on a perception not on a reality. This Board is *not* like "The Christian Congregation Of Jehovah's Witnesses', it is like any other Board on the Internet where it comes to subscriber rules. Where it is like 'The Christian Congregation Of Jehovah's Witnesses', is in the afflicted minds of people still affected by the cult that imprisoned them whenever authority is displayed by the moderators, most of whom were never elders to begin with.

The claims of 'elder mentality' and "Kingdom Hall' environment are just being used as a weapon in some sort of XJW reverse 'theocratic' language, like JW's use the word 'apostate' to paint over uncomfortable issues. Rather be honest and say, 'XJW's are different and need different rules', than to throw this foolish and suspect argument on the table each time this subject is discussed.

The matter of consistency is another one altogether and which I will not comment on here at all as it is outside the matter at hand.

Best regards - HS

• Simon
    Simon

I think it's clear that this forum is no more 'JW' than any other of the million forums that has rules or any other million life situations where rules are used (I loved the "which side of the road do I feel like driving on today").

I think (hope) it's clear too that the accusations of JW / WTS / Elder-ishness when used and designed to be insulting IMO.

Given this, I don't think we need to put up with it frankly.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Simon: put your money where your mouth is:

Given this, I don't think we need to put up with it frankly.

Moderators: brave people that you are....or at least the impression that I am given:

Lock the fucker (edit at your discretion): this thread.

The forum faghags have spoken; critical thinkers/writers have made their thoughts known.

Why do we perpetuate such nonsense?

When we don't like what we see, one has to wonder WHO we are catering to?

Another jaded quasi-psuedo-exjw-brit? Add your prefix/suffix.

Time to put this sick puppy down.

• RAYZORBLADE
  • Englishman
    Englishman

I for one have totally run out of patience with people comparing the board admin and moderators to elders.

Go somewhere more suitable to do it.

We really, really have had enough of it.

Englishman.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Most of what I want to say has already been stated, but I'd like to put in a rearranged and funky way (a la, in my own words):

Given that this is a bunch of ex-JWs, many of whom were discouraged from using the Internet, and some of whom have expressed that this board has been their only experience of said "Net", is it any wonder that some have little to compare the experience to?

Personally nothing gets my goat more than hearing "Elder" comments slung around, as I have mentioned on a few threads before, however I think Hillary sums it up well:

HS Wrote: You accused decisions being made on this Board regarding its moderators as similar to those made by 'elders' in 'kingdom hall's'. This is by no means a new accusation, and certainly not one that will go away.

It may be irksome, to the point of rage, but it's not something that's likely to stop anytime soon.
    The only advice I can give is the "count to ten method", or some other coping mechanism.
    Frustration at users isn't going to do anything but create resentment, in this unique group, and ultimately cause the demise of the spirit of the board (if that hasn't already occured, to some degree).

Having had the experience of conversing and meeting up with our American ex'JW cousins I have to say that they're an interesting bunch, with a completely different worldview than Brits (I mention this only to state it as a personal revelation). Issues of censure are far more likely to incense.

All that having been said, I think Scooby needs to hurry up and take the next step in his development and actually meet some ex-JW's, rather than just bitching about us.
    I find it hard to believe that he can hold down the job,that he states he does, without having better discernment than he exhibits here.

Edited to add:
    Driving whilst angry, irked, frustrated, or short on patience isn't wise. Is dealing with peoples lives (through their words) wise, when in a similar condition?
    I would add that this cuts both ways - whether posting or moderating.
    In the latter case, the "power" employed is likely to cause a reaction, though, especially from those who have their vocal-chords removed and those who witness such an excision.

Edited again, to add:I think that HS and Minimus make some excellent points, in a respectful manner, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit