An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• talesin
    talesin

Actually, I agree Azzie. I think what you said is the key. It's all about getting to know each other, and not believing the crap that is fed to us constantly about other cultures. Once we get educated, it becomes clear that we all have our good (which can be very good), our bad (the mediocre) and our ugly (in the minority, but still there).

Once again, vive le difference!

tal

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've never had a bad experience with the French people. The times I was there I did not find them rude, nor obnoxious, nor arrogant...nor stinky....I found them interested, interesting, and willing to reach out and help (no not Lady's of the Evening, but regular real people). I had a great time in France every one of the four times I've been there, twice to the tourist areas, and twice to the less traveled areas. How I view the French Government is quite different though.

• blobby
    blobby

HS's comments

The French Film industry is extraordinary, by comparison the US Film Industry is ordinary

This must be your personal opinion...yes? When the US industry is poor its terrible but when its good its excellent. (yes my personal opinion). The film industry recognises the outstanding work of the British film industry too. Its hard to think of French films that have had true international success?.....what about the indian film industry.

The French support of its artists and musicians is extraordinary, the British pale into the ordinary by comparison .

OK the French have had (past tense) some celebrated artists & musicians but today ???........... I don't think so. Maybe the Governmental support is extraordinary but that's a clue to their state of mind and their priorities, it certainly doesn't turn out results today.

French Champagne is extraordinary, Australian champagne is ordinary by comparison.

Surley it depends on the year, but as I'm an "ordinary" person ........so what!

often just a thinly disguised jealousy at the French sense of style and independence.

French style ...............uuuh? They think they have style, they are even famous for it but the Italians "have real" style, Just look at their motor car and motorcycle industries, their fashion, their way of life, most nations "pale into the ordinary". Politics are a problem but hey, one step at a time.

It is a, how shall I put it, an 'arrogant and condescending' remark.

Good, hit the mark then. HS, if I'm not mistaken you've got some French blood in you?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    The French Film industry is extraordinary, by comparison the US Film Industry is ordinary What was the last French film that made 150 million dollars again?

The French support of its artists and musicians is extraordinary, the British pale into the ordinary by comparison . Would the French Government need to support them were they really that good?

French Champagne is extraordinary, Australian champagne is ordinary by comparison. And American wines now compare with French wines...wha wha wha.

often just a thinly disguised jealousy at the French sense of style and independence. I'm thinking not many Americans are jealous of the french....I do see the French GOVERNMENT as being Jealous of the US...the French still want to be a world power...without their Veto position on the security council of the UN the French would be a third rate country
  • frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Viva THE WORLD !

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I always loved Al Bundie's comments (From the show Married with Children) about the French... here are a few...

?Rule number two: It?s wrong to be French.?

?It?s good to hate the French.?

"Everyone knows the French hate us Americans. It's because we see things for what they are! What they call escargot we call garden slugs! What they call Chateau Lafite we call sour grape juice! What they call cautious diplomacy we call cowardice! Why do you think they call fried potatoes French fries? It's because they go down easy with a good shake!"

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... Elsewhere : I LOVE the AL BUNDIE'S FAMILLY SHOW ! Too funny

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol... yeah... when I was searching for Al Bundy quotes I found several comments from France saying that he is very populare there.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

The French Film industry is extraordinary, by comparison the US Film Industry is ordinary

This must be your personal opinion...yes? When the US industry is poor its terrible but when its good its excellent. (yes my personal opinion). The film industry recognises the outstanding work of the British film industry too. Its hard to think of French films that have had true international success?.....what about the indian film industry.

No, not just my personal opinion, I am sorry, but your ignorance of the international creative film industry is apparent by your answer. Do a little research before making such statements. The French do not produce many films, but they have a long-term reputation of producing some of the best - just read a little Film history. The Indian?s have produced a handful of good films but what do they have to do with the subject? The French, it may surprise you to know, make films in the French language. Not many people speak French, but many speak English and American - think about it. Could it be that you do not speak French and have never actually watched a French film? You seem to be muddling creativity, with popularity, I am not.

The French support of its artists and musicians is extraordinary, the British pale into the ordinary by comparison.

OK the French have had (past tense) some celebrated artists & musicians but today ???........... I don't think so. Maybe the Governmental support is extraordinary but that's a clue to their state of mind and their priorities, it certainly doesn't turn out results today.

Nonesense. You do not know what you are talking about. Can I ask you, have you actually ever been to France? Clue yourself in before defending the indefensible. God forbid that we ever reach a point where popularity is the judge of success in the arts. I know it is in the US, but this is not the case elsewhere where financial return is *not* the judge of success nor creativity. Do some research on the French Arts, and its Government's support of them - it may open your eyes a little.

French Champagne is extraordinary, Australian champagne is ordinary by comparison.
    Surely it depends on the year, but as I'm an "ordinary" person ........so what!

The ?what? is that you make ignorant statements and seem to be happy to make them.

often just a thinly disguised jealousy at the French sense of style and independence.

French style ...............uuuh? They think they have style, they are even famous for it but the Italians "have real" style, Just look at their motor car and motorcycle industries, their fashion, their way of life, most nations "pale into the ordinary". Politics are a problem but hey, one step at a time.

I will agree Italian style is certainly head and shoulders above the ?ordinary? However this was a discussion about France, and whether the French are to reuse your phrase, "arrogant and condescending?, what do the Italians have to do with this?

It is a, how shall I put it, an 'arrogant and condescending' remark.

Good, hit the mark then. HS, if I'm not mistaken you've got some French blood in you?

Wrong yet again Blobby. I am Italian. I wonder how it is possible for a person to be wrong about everything in a post, but as you can see, it does happen.

Best regards - HS

PS - I am not one to pepper my posts with Internet links. I think there is more value in a careful research in a Library, but follow this link :

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/label_france/ENGLISH/DOSSIER/cinema/03.html

• Satanus
    Satanus

This is turning into an interesting thread. Interesting that the first qualifier of 'great' american films is the amount of money pulled in. While money is a very useful tool, it's truly gratifying that not all national cultures put money first and foremost. Of course as yeru notes, this is not without danger.

Hillary

My french is fair to weak. Nevertheless, if you can see your way clear, i would be interested in your recommendation of the best french film. I will hopefully be able to rent/watch it, somehow. Thanks.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit