An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• Maverick
    Maverick

I have just returned from spending a week in the company of Frenchbabyface, (FBF) and would like to share some basic observation that I feel will enlighten my fellow countrymen and women about a people we, as a culture, actually know very little about. I do believe the medias of both countries do not show their people an honest and forthright view of the other countries people. The American media gives us almost no news of France and most of what we do get is not very positive. And I will say the French News Services are almost as guilty as ours of doing the same in reverse.

I was able to see the city of Paris as few Americans can. Not as a tourist, thought I took in the sights, but off the beaten path as the locals do. I live in a tourist town in Florida so I know how the locals feel in general about visitors and how we stay away from them personally. Example, I go to the places they don't know about and when I want to play at a tourist spot I know when most of them will not be around and go then.

FBF took me all over the city on the Metro or we walked. We went to the market to buy food and the Tabac to buy tobacco products and anywhere else the local people go to do the most basic things people do to live. Americans are service minded and we expect everyone to treat us this way. Most of the place in the world I have been outside tourist spots do not have this same attitude. So when an American thinks other people are being rude the local people do not see it this way. We project our values onto them and this is not right. We expect them to speak to us and adjust for us in our language, this is arrogant and insulting to them.

What I really found surprising is that all of the French people I spoke to believe we worship Pres. Bush! They think we are ready to follow him to take over the world! I personally am not very happy with the man and it was a shock to them that there are people in America that feel this way.

I will talk more about things I saw and experience if anyone reponds to this post. But I will say this, I was very impressed with the intelligents, passion, and warmth of the people I met and will defend their right to be French to anyone who will listen. Maverick

• blondie
    blondie

I notice when I am out of the country, Maverick, how differently the newspapers and TV portray US news. And it works the other way, I see how little of their news gets through to us in the US. It is a dangerous thing to judge a group of people by what we read in the news, and to equate government decisions/actions to individual views. Glad you had a good time and could see the "real" France.

I lived near France (30 km) for several years.

Blondie

• bull01lay
    bull01lay

maverick:

I live in a tourist town in Florida so I know how the locals feel in general about visitors and how we stay away from them personally. Example, I go to the places they don't know about and when I want to play at a tourist spot I know when most of them will not be around and go then.

That means you missed me a couple of years ago. Shame on you!!!

And I thought you americans loved us brits.......<<walks away dejectedly, kicking little pebbles and staring at the floor>>

Bull! (of the - shunned again by foreigners now class - )

• talesin
    talesin

It's the same here, although we are more service-oriented (similar cultures), but some Americans seem to be very scornful of Canada, and think we are 'less than them'.

I say,

Vive le difference!

Mav, don't you find that there is a lack of information about the rest of the world? How much is taught in schools, or seen on TV, that is not US-centric?

For example, I have seen people with skis on their car, in JULY. They seem to think all of Canada is a frozen wasteland. hahaha We are further south than Buffalo, NY, for crying out loud. Too funny.

IMHO, it's not people's fault, it's what they are fed from birth ----> We are the best, Our country is the best, Everyone else in the world is 'less than us', Our president is sacred, blah blah blah

(Speaking as one who has US cousins, they find that this is true, so PLEASE don't anyone take this the wrong way, I feel we are not better, but different.)

talesin

• exjdub
    exjdub

Maverick,

Very nice post, and well said. It is disconcerting to know that the french people think all americans worship Bush, but I guess there are many americans who do the same thing with other countries. Look at the prejudice and twisted thinking that went on after 9/11. Nobody from the Middle East was safe for a while it seemed, and there was a great deal of mistrust. I think you touched on an important point...the media, from both countries, have really done us a disservice by focusing on the negatives (as is their habit), rather than accurately portraying the feelings of the common people.

I live in a tourist town in Florida so I know how the locals feel in general about visitors and how we stay away from them personally. Example, I go to the places they don't know about and when I want to play at a tourist spot I know when most of them will not be around and go then.

I agree with that as well. I lived in Orlando for 3 years, right between Universal Studios and Disney. Oftentimes we would see the very worst in people. Rude driving, rude behavior, demanding people. Obviously this is not the case with all people that go to Orlando, just as it is not the case with all people who visit France, but it does seem to be a common occurence in tourist destinations.

It must have been great to visit the marketplaces with small markets that have the wine, fresh breads and cheeses and unusual products from around the world. I wish Florida had that type of atmosphere but, sadly, I don't think we will ever have a great marketplace or a great transit system.

Please share some more of your observations.

exjdub

• talley
    talley

Just finished reading a very interesting, thoughtful, well documented book pertaining to this subject;

"HATING AMERICA The New World Sport" by John Gibson

Got mine at the local public library. Well worth the read. talley/Judy

• Bryan
    Bryan

Glad you had a good time Mav.

As you probably know I have many family in France and all the guys love to talk politics. And they do get passionate. During our last visit in May, my brother-in-law's brother-in-law thought Michael Moore was someone of authority. I did my best to explain what a psycho extremist this guy is.

For the most part, the French are not "rude". They are strait to the point. They doen't say "excuse me". They say "thank you" very seldom. My wife and I were married in Osney, just north of Paris. At the dinner the Americans gave speeches and spoke of feelings for each other. This was very odd for my French family. My brother-in-law explained it as, 'my wife knows I love her because of the way I treat her. I don't have to tell her I love her.' And they certainly are not trapped by Political Correctness as we are.

The first time I went there with my wife, when her mother would do our laundry, we would say "thank you." Her mother said, "Why do you thank me?" It's just a different culture.

If there is anything I don't like about France it would be standing in line. They don't get the "personal space" thing. When in line they stand right up against you.

But what a beautiful country!!!!!!!

Bryan

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Mav, glad you enjoyed yourself so much! I think unfortunately that most people have been so injected with Nationalism of their own countries that it is hard for them to be balanced. I would enjoy hearing more of your visit.............

Terri

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Mav, I'm glad you had such a good time! Thank you FBF for taking such good care of him!

Having lived in several different cultures, I understand to an extent what you mean about the differences and misunderstandings. Your experience has also helped me understand my employer a bit more. I work for a French company. I hate it. LOL! The French people are typically very rude and condescending and feel that we should live our lives/run our business according to their ways. They don't seem to understand that business in America is very different than French business. But they won't budge. It's their way or the highway. As a result, we have people leaving in hoardes for our competition. The benefits are not as good and the pay is lower at those companies, but people are willing to take that in order to work for people that appreciate a "team environment".

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Maverick:

How lucky you were to have a friend in France to show you around the off the beaten path places. How fun! Glad that you two had such a nice time. It is a lifelong dream of mine to go to France, and I am learning the language right now with tapes, so at least I can get around. I really like the language, and have seen pictures of the country side and it's just beautiful. I like the French, but I ADORE my Canucks!

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit