An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• franklin J
    franklin J

I went to school in Europe ( Rome , Italy) and traveled the European continent extensively. The Europeans in general were lovely , especially to an American student living cheaply and struggling to speak their language. My travels in France and my experience with the French stood out as different in all respects.

Paris is a world class beautiful city and has some of the most magnificent Architectural monuments in the world; an A rate subway and some very nasty people.

Although my time there was spent in the company of an American expatriate colony ( American Ambassador and family) who all spoke fluent french; I did not speak fluent french; and my forays alone proved disasterous. The rudeness was SO CONSISTENT and it was so OBVIOUSLY because I was American; that it became the standard running joke and stereotype. The countyside was less so.

It was a great country; and I would go back. Good thing we do not take this anti American stuff seriously. I have been told that the attitude has changed since Degauls death. I hope so.

• undercover
    undercover

I've been lucky enough to visit many countries including some communist and muslim ones. I have realized that people are people. If you put aside politics and religion we all are the same. The governments, media and religion present things the way they want and if we don't know any better, we buy into it. Visiting foreign countries and cultures is a great way to learn to be tolerant and accepting of people. That doesn't mean you have to accept their political view or join their religion, but you understand better where they come from and how they think and you appreciate them better. You can become friends with people from all over the world when you refuse to accept the propaganda about cultures as portrayed in the media, by the government or religious leaders.

• avishai
    avishai
    It's the same here, although we are more service-oriented (similar cultures), but some Americans seem to be very scornful of Canada, and think we are 'less than them'.

I absolutely LOVE Canada, and the people from up there are usually so much more polite.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

The French think we worship President Bush, huh? How interesting. I guess that goes hand-in-hand with the typical American stereotype of a French person sitting on the patio of the local patesserie (sp?), drinking wine, smoking a cigarette, and telling the world, "F*** you, we are French, and you are not." A view that was reenforced by the comic genius Robin Williams, during his last HBO special.

I think every country suffers from "media/educational black-out." Meaning every country seems to teach a "fill in the blank-centric" view of the world. What it comes down to is a form racism, for lack of a better term. However, what country would be servicing it's citizens by not focusing on its own history. Personally, I think that France is a great country, and Europe for that matter is a great continent, with lots to offer the world. Too bad they got caught in the middle of so much crap of the past 150 years. The U.S. is similar. The only difference being that the U.S. has been so detached from its European cousins (the Atlantic is a big pond to cross) only recently shortened by the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

Maybe it's just time for all, and I do mean ALL, of us to lay down our national pride, and, in the words of a noted American street philospher, "...just get along." After, all aren't we all brothers and sisters in the same family (for those that do not believe in Adam and Eve, please insert appropriate analogy here )? Or maybe that's the wrong analogy, since brothers and sisters tend to fight with each other (being an only child, I have no clue other than watching my friends).

One day, I will visit Europe. France will be on the itinerary. I hope to enjoy it as much as possible.

LABD

Wow, did I really write that????

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Did anyone surrender to you while you where there???

Did you get to check out the Catacombs??

• Maverick
    Maverick

Thank you all for your interesting and insightful imput!

As long as I stayed away from anything touristy I had great fun! But when FBF and I went to see the sights and we were in crowds of foreigners I found it uncomfortable. You have to be on guard every minute. One night FBF,s son and I brought my daughter back to her hotel, she was traveling in Europe and took a day to be with us, and when me came back on the metro it was close to 11PM. We walked the streets of Paris and Antony stop and talk to his friends after we stopped to get a couple of pizzas, very different. So here we are walking home with two hot pizzas and going down alleys and talking to rough looking street people and getting a pass because of who he was. Alone I would have been in deep trouble, but I liked it. No tourist gets to see this side and walk away with a smile and a wave!

I know I stood out as American especially by being polite and smiling a lot. But that's just me! I know many Americans that don't do that here.

The Metro at rush hour was very cool. Yes the French do not care about your space, maybe because they don't have any. We have so much of everything here, even space! Maverick

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

Maverick,

Great story, but get to the important stuff... ...tell us about the french women.

• blobby
    blobby

Nice one CRAZY151DRINKER ..........we've (and I guess you yanks) have just celebrated D-Day.....ungreatful Barsteward's.

I have French collegues who I meet every month.........they're arrogant, condescending and lazy.

Went on holiday last year to france........nice place - crap people, bad attitude.....hate brits but hey that's popular too !

Viva la France ! .....Bollocks

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    tell us about the french women.

It was my experience when I was in France that the women were very low maintenance. In fact as an American woman I'm used to wearing makeup and dressing up. We went out one night and got lost and ended up in the "red light" district and were mistaken for prostitutes and chased down the street where we caught a taxi and I was hit by a car before making it inside.

As a woman in France I was gropped on the street and found the men to be VERY forward. I went with friends who were familiar with the Paris city and spoke fluent French. When I was by myself though, I found that even though I had my french phrase book people were annoyed with me, and wouldnt even help me enough to tell me where the toilets were.

Other than that I found the architecture to be absolutely beautiful and the city itself just dripping with history and culture. Though I would never visit again unless it was with a man, and he was fluent in the language.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Ok ... my point of view : Point by point

About the news and newspapers : the same everywhere I went

About service oriented : the French are just NOT SERVICE ORIENTED (they are really arrogante, and you'll get very well served only in a PALACE : which means what it means). This is why I really appreciated the US ! Otherwise yeah you'd better be whith someone from here if you don't want them to screw you

NO ... all the French do not think that Americans Workship Bush. More than 70 % of the population is well educated - have traveled overseas and knows exactly what it is all about : means everywhere you'll get almost this rate : 50%/50% (with depending on the news/actuality with 30 % marge - then you realise that the 30 % are those who are just following the news like sheeps). Means that anyway politicaly 30 % base their views on lobbies.

NO ... we don't think that Micheal Moore is an authority, we (70%) think that he is able in is own way to open most of people eyes on the real Americain troubles in using the same tool as the lobbiestes !!! (not the same)

About being well educated : it all depends on by who you have been educated (same everywhere)

I've also heard about people thinking that French do not take bath (LOL) which is true we take more showers than baths (my thought about that : it takes too much time) bath is good for relaxing not for washing (unless you take a shower afterward). BUT my son told me that statically we are one of the country that use less soap (I don't remember the other country involved LOL)

About the tourist craps and way of being (both sides) : Mav got it all right ! (you don't take the time to know us, we don't take it either) fair enough !

Bryan : If there is anything I don't like about France it would be standing in line. They don't get the "personal space" thing. When in line they stand right up against you.

How true and very ambarassing ! I getting to the point to not care anymore ...

BillyGoat you've got it all right about the french businessmen (OH LA LA LA) ! But you know what people : that means that you've got a chance here to make it better (their mistake - the French in this way only bullshit themselfs !)

Country Girl : PM me 2 months or 3 before you get ready to come, sure you'll be welcome here

Franklin : Yeah I can tell ... I've worked 6 years for a MBA (IAE) college and americans ARE WELCOME and VERY APPRECIATED !!!

About the americans who don't try to speak a bit french it just very tiring at the end (you have to understand that).

undercover : I totally with you

L-A-Big_Dawg : I guess that goes hand-in-hand with the typical American stereotype of a French person sitting on the patio of the local patesserie (sp?), drinking wine, smoking a cigarette, and telling the world, "F*** you, we are French, and you are not." A view that was reenforced by the comic genius Robin Williams, during his last HBO special.

What ??? let me try this and lets figured out which one is most true "F*** you, we are American, and you are not." Now what do you think ? (You'll find people like that everywhere).

CrazyDrinker : No we didn't go to the catacombs (I don't know where it is, but I'll check) seems that you appreciated it !!! (got to see that)

Mav : Yes the French do not care about your space, maybe because they don't have any.

Right !!! And they take advantage of it ! Also you don't care after a while cause whatever you do know never know who did whatever for real and if you yiel are then the one that everybody thinks you trying to get everybodys attention !
    Bloddy : no wonder why the French didn't like you (read yourself)

Chevysntats : Wow what a bad experience ! I'm very sorry for you ... French woman very low maintenance (??? please) We do not like to put too much make up (cause true it makes you look like a prostitute ... Sorry you didn't know that) Only famous people people are allowed without being mistaken for protistute. (but for real you wouldn't recognise them in the street cause the do the reverses so they are sure you wont recognise them at all, they do only when they have a TV show or going to dancing clubs and Jet-Set parties). Otherwise be sure you'll get all the men watching and following your behind ! Gals take care if you come here

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit