An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello Satanus,

I am perplexed. Frankly there are so many that I have enjoyed that it is hard to begin to give a recommendation. I will say that any of these films noted at this link, all of which I have seen, may not have made millions of $'s but are all creative masterpieces. http://frenchfilms.topcities.com/Great_Films.html.

I would even place the Swiss film industry above the US in creative style. One of may favorite Swiss films which is near France is entitled ( as close as I can remember ) 'Thirteen Days In The Life Of Jenny'. I saw it once in the 70's and have never been able to find it again. It is an absolute masterpiece and follows the last thirteen days of the life of a young girl tortured by her adolescence. If you can track it down, watch it. I guarantee that it will change your life. I am not sure how much money it grossed, but it is a good film nonetheless.

As for French comic films. *Any* film by Jaques Tati is a must in the comedy genre. I doubt whether one comic film-maker anywhere has not been influenced by Tati's style. My particular favorite is 'Jour De Fete'. An unforgettable film. Most peoples experience of French films begins and ends with 'The French Connection'.

Take care Satanus - HS

• blobby
    blobby

Interesting link HS....

54th Cannes Film Festival Awards

1st Prize (Palme d?Or)

? The Son?s Room, by Nanni Moretti (Italy) urrrm not French ! Grand Prize (second highest honour)

? The Piano Teacher, by Michael Haneke (Austria) urrrm not French ! Best actress award

? Isabelle Huppert (France) for The Piano Teacher French !! Best actor award

? Benoît Magimel (France) for The Piano Teacher French !! Best director

? Joel Cohen for The Man Who Wasn?t There (U.S.A.) urrrm not French ! ? David Lynch for Mulholland Drive (U.S.A.) urrrm not French ! Best screenplay

? No Man?s Land, by Danis Tanovic (Bosnia-Herzegovina) urrrm not French ! Golden Camera (first time director)

? Atanarjuat, the Fast Runner, by Zacharias Kunuk, Canada not French !
    (1st full-lenght Inuit picture in film history) Palme d?Or for best short film

? Bean Cake, by the American David Greenspan (Japan) definitely not French Price for young talent

? Slogan, by the Albanian Gjerg Xhuvani presented as a world premiere to the Quinzaine des réalisateurs not French !

If you want to provide evidence at least try to be up to date, this is 2001. Try looking who was the winner in 2004 ?? ..............Just to help you ....yes he was an American,

By the way I never mentioned $ as a measure of success, it was a previous post.... But while you mention popularity and $ I guess the box office measure ($$) is an indication of people's choice. After all the only people who really enjoy obscure French films are the French and they don't count !

The reason why I mentioned Italy was because its good to expand the thread but you're obviously limited in this regard. France is a nation and if your going to make claims about a nation being "extraordinary" then it has to be compared to others or else there's no measure.

If I remember the thread started about their arrogance, real or perceived, you are very similar to the French in this regard which is a shame, you being an Italian. ....as you can tell I love Italians for their culture and style but I guess every nation has its exceptions.

Yes I have been to France many times (3 weeks ago last). No I can't speak French but I did try learning post school days but it was too boring....(a bit like their films).

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Well blobby ... it's a question of taste anyway !

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Hillary,

What did you think of Lucas Belvaux's recent Trilogy? I was going to watch them while they were showing at quite a few of the cinemas in London but never got round to it. Think I'll grab the dvd boxset that's just come out.

-

Ignored One.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

You are showing yourself to be quite ignorant of this subject. The link was a *starting* point for your education. I am not going to do your work for you. If you really want to know the FACTS about film-making learn, and especially French film-making learn before you spout. I did not link this for you to see who won and who lost film competitions ( never an indication of greatness ) but to follow the careers of some French Directors whom I guarantee that you have never heard of!

The reason why I mentioned Italy was because its good to expand the thread but you're obviously limited in this regard. France is a nation and if your going to make claims about a nation being "extraordinary" then it has to be compared to others or else there's no measure.

Certainly not limited in any regard over such subjects as I know what I am talking about and plainly you do not. You seem to know very little about the subject at hand, but do know how to blow hot air. Ad hominem attacks do not make the grade, even 'arrogant and condescending' ones.

If I remember the thread started about their arrogance, real or perceived, you are very similar to the French in this regard which is a shame, you being an Italian. ....as you can tell I love Italians for their culture and style but I guess every nation has its exceptions.

Ad hominem attack from a person obviously struggling for air. Learn to present your views without personal attacks Blobby, they do not dignify your failing arguments in the least. On these discussion Boards they leave people wondering why you need to resort to them.

By the way I never mentioned $ as a measure of success, it was a previous post.... But while you mention popularity and $ I guess the box office measure ($$) is an indication of people's choice. After all the only people who really enjoy obscure French films are the French and they don't count !

The whole issue, in case you have not noticed the past few posts, is that 'peoples choice' and dollars at the box office is not neccessarily indicative of fineness and creativity. If you use them as a measuring tool of what is ordinary and what is extraordinary, I can well see why your arguments are without value. As to your comment, highlighted in the above paragraph what can I say, I suppose only that it seems to indicate that you are rather stupid

Now if you want to discuss the Italian Film-Making industry be prepared to come to the table with more than ad-hominem attacks and half-baked observations about a subject that you seem to know little about. Then we can talk.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Ignored one,

Absolutely superb stuff. Well worth the effort. The camera work is magnificent.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

frenchbabyface,

Well blobby ... it's a question of taste anyway !

Or perhaps lack of taste in some cases. Taste and see that French is good...lol

HS

• vitty
    vitty

Hillary

I agree with Blobby, you seem too arrogant and self righteous, I come on here to get away from know-all's like you. Step back and see Blobby is tongue in cheek, your up your own arse.

Don't take everything so serious.....get a life

Well done to everyone for making life interesting again.

• blobby
    blobby

Vit.......you took the words out of my mouth !

Going to bed now bored

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Vittvin,

I agree with Blobby, you seem too arrogant and self righteous,

Do you agree with Blobby's stated view that the French are 'arrogant and condescending' or with his as yet unstated view that I am arrogant and self-righteous?

My own first post in this thread was tongue in cheek, most of the rest have my statements have also been tongue in cheek, that you cannot sense this is not my problem. Perhaps I am being a little to subtle for you?

Step back and see Blobby is tongue in cheek, your up your own arse.

Ahhh, yes, I can see that I am being far too subtle for you.

Best regards - HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit