An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• talesin
    talesin

So, h_s

What I'm getting is, it's a darker, yet more humorous, point of view. If you achieve some creative level of greatness, such as science, philosophy, art, even war or diplomacy or resistance, then you rise above the ordinary (iow we are not so special after all!)

It is certainly different from our culture's view. Where everyone is told they are 'special'. But do we practice it? Not you or me, or you reading. But collectively, as a society? Does everyone get treated like they are special? hmmmm

Throw out a thought

... could it be that the French are more realistic (a bit jaded, but have not lost their sense of humour) in their outlook on life?

Edit, alternative thoughts on 'ordinary'

Perhaps it is more individualized, ie. that we each rise above the ordinary in our own lives, to fulfill our purpose. The best _____ you fill in the blank. Thereby having accomplished something to proud of.

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Hmmmmm well they did help us with that whole Revolution thing so I guess we can cut them a little bit of slack...

Here's to the Revolution!

• talesin
    talesin

I'll drink to that too, Crazy! To Bastille Day and Independence Day! Le Chaim!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

CrazyDrinker !

Yeah I've heard about that when I was a kid it frigtened me ! ... that's probably why I didn't want to remember it ! but now as a grownup I feel like it could be fascinating !!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

lets not forget the great French ocean liner "NORMANDIE".... It was the "example" for all ships in terms of speed, design, grandeur and luxury. It was the finest representation of French culture and "Bon Vivant" afloat....

for those of us interested in nautical history, the ocean liner NORMANDIE ; of purely French design and pride, was the first ocean liner to exceed 1000 feet in length; had great electric turbine engines; it was the forunner to the original Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary British liners. In fact, the prow of Normandie was copied for the design of the QE2 and the new QM2. Prior to the second world war NORMANDIE was the third largest electric power plant in existence ( the city of NY was 1st, and the city of Paris 2nd); the fact that it was a movable electric power plant made it valuble during wartime.

After the Vichy government fell to the Germans, the liner was layed up in NY harbor for protection during the war. Years later the US government commendeered it as a troop ship and while fitting it out ( American incompetence---or more disturbing---German sabatage) it caught fire and had so much water poured into it that it capsized at the pier. The hulk sat there until the end of the war when it was chopped up as scrap and sold.

NO WONDER THE FRENCH DESPISE AMERICANS. This was a great representation of French engineering and design.

Pieces of artwork and furniture which were taken off the liner while it was being outfiitted as a troop ship sat in storage for years and were eventually auctioned off. Many fetch tremendous prices today; I have a small piece of its history ( a very small piece, an ashtray).

As reparations of war, the French were granted the German liner BREMEN which they out fitted and renamed the LIBERTE; in honor of French freedom. Later in the early 1960s, the French government commissioned the liner FRANCE.

Nothing came close to the immortal NORMANDIE.

In honor of this great ship; I am moved to say "Vive la France!"

• blobby
    blobby
    It is true that generally the French despise the ordinary and I suspect it is here that most people confuse a respect of uniqueness with a display of arrogance. I have to agree with French thinking, being ordinary is nothing to be proud of, and being ordinary *and* proud is an offence against humanity.

HS

Sorry HS but your statement is quite offensive ..........(ok, mine my have been too so I apologise to all Frenchies out there) .......but if you are not ordinary you must be something special ? .........Does that sound familiar (JW's).

I'm ordinary and proud of it, that doesn't mean I can't achieve and contribute.....does it? If your ordinary and achieve ...that really is something to be proud of (proud not arrogant).

Too many people think they are something special in this world and your comment doen't help

Kind regards

Working class but now Company Director (and still working class)....Blobby!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Franklin,

I love ships. I sailed to the US in July 1958 aboard the TS Arosa Star and returned home on the MV Arosa Sun. We went to the Yankee Stadium assembly.

alt

The Arosa Star became the La Janelle and sank of South America somewhere. The Arosa Sun was originally a French ship, Felix Rouselle, which spent the first 10 years of it's life as just a hull awaiting completion, during WW2.

Englishman.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

Sorry HS but your statement is quite offensive ..........(ok, mine my have been too so I apologise to all Frenchies out there) .......but if you are not ordinary you must be something special ? .........Does that sound familiar (JW's).

Well it depends what you mean by 'ordinary'. What I mean is that in my own experience I have found the French not to be followers, they are as a nation and as individuals leaders and not followers. For example, The French Film industry is extraordinary, by comparison the US Film Industry is ordinary. The French support of its artists and musicians is extraordinary, the British pale into the ordinary by comparison. French Champagne is extraordinary, Australian champagne is ordinary by comparison.

I admit I should have placed a winking emoticon at the end of my post as I meant my statement to be tongue in cheek, nevertheless, imho there is much truth in my description of the French as a nation and in my experience this offensive cliché of ?French arrogance?, as highlighted by your own post, is often just a thinly disguised jealousy at the French sense of style and independence.

but if you are not ordinary you must be something special ?

Of course! How can ordinary be 'something special'? You must go and see B. B. King play, he really is something ordinary!

Too many people think they are something special in this world and your comment doen't help

Even 'ordinary' people can be special, just look at Barry Manilow. Please lay off the 'you speak like a JW' mantra Blooby, it does not hold water with me as a cursory examination of my posts will confirm. It is a, how shall I put it, an 'arrogant and condescending' remark.

Best regards - HS

• Farkel
    Farkel

One has to be appropriate when in France. For example, do NOT say, "I'd like Freedom Fries with that." Or, "French food is German food, but with better sauces." Or, "Haven't your women discovered razor blades yet?"

Farkel

• Aztec
    Aztec
    but some Americans seem to be very scornful of Canada, and think we are 'less than them'.

Not most of us hon! Most Americans love Canadians once we get to appreciate their ways. Canadians are amazing people!

Mav, I'm so glad you got to hang out with French people! I wish I could have done the same! I got to hang out with Canadians recently myself and enjoyed the fact that they thought so diffferantly than I did!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit