An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Vittvin,

Hardly a surprise that you share IP numbers with Blobby. You both seem to be as ignorant as one another.

Just a tongue in cheek observation.

HS

PS - Have you logged onto this Board as anybody other than Blobby or Vittvin?

• talesin
    talesin

I like French films. Though I have only watched subtitled ones as I don't speak it well enough to follow.

Umm, most Italian films I've watched tend to portray the women as one of two stereotypes ---> passionate crazed she-devils or sainted old mothers. It drives me nuts! Not to say I am the judge of all films, just this movie fan's perspective.

I love to hear that in Paris, 'less is more' in the makeup department. Suits me just fine.

• blobby
    blobby

Don't worry HS were not the same person (true) and not on here as anyone else but we're baffled why you are so serious about defending the French, even the French have given up (no surprises there).

The French aren't bothered so why are you? Seriously if you can convince us that the French are outstanding in comparison to other Nations then I'll tip my hat but until then....nope.

They are just as "ordinary" as many others. Only outstanding in their Arrogance. As a nation what "outstanding" feat have they accomplished in the last decade??

It would be very interesting to conduct a pole (I'm sure one has already been carried out) as to how other natons view the French. I'm sure the majority population of the USA & UK aren't too pleased with them just now (not that I'm defending their stance on Iraq).

Now "we" really are going to bed

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

Don't worry HS were not the same person (true) and not on here as anyone else but we're baffled why you are so serious about defending the French, even the French have given up (no surprises there).

Just in in for the debating exercise that is all! I hardly every take myself, or anybody else seriously as a cursory glance at my posts the past four years will assure you. I have strong opinions and vigorously defend them, just for fun, but in the long term no persons opinion amounts to much.

They are just as "ordinary" as many others. Only outstanding in their Arrogance. As a nation what "outstanding" feat have they accomplished in the last decade??

lol...What a silly statement., but then you know that don't you.

I disagree that the French are not outstanding in the three samples that I mentioned at the start of this thread. I have suggested that with the French Film Industry, our topic of discussion today you actually learn something about it before seeking to, even tongue in cheek, present your arguments. Just claiming a viewpoint does not make it right, and I should point out that your views are not shared by many, if any in the industry. Do a little study and return tongue out of cheek -->

even the French have given up (no surprises there).

Yes, the French have an 'outstanding' ability to recognize an idiot waving an limp opinion against them, this may be intepreted as 'arrogant and condescending' by some, or 'extraordinary' by others. By the way, I do not buy your 'friends' claim that your original post was tongue in cheek. I believe that you meant it and have been driven to a nervous giggle by the turn of this thread.

It would be very interesting to conduct a pole (I'm sure one has already been carried out) as to how other natons view the French. I'm sure the majority population of the USA & UK aren't too pleased with them just now (not that I'm defending their stance on Iraq).

Here you are trying to bring another nation into this again - leave the Pole's be. The French are historically a very independent people, they have never danced to the tune of World opinion. In this regard they are not 'ordinary' but 'extraordinary'. Get it?

Say hello to the mysterious Vit....... and sleep tight.

Best regards - HS

• Satanus
    Satanus

HS

Thanks for those. I was in the process of composing my post while you posted the url which appeared before my post.

I am perplexed. Frankly there are so many that I have enjoyed that it is hard to begin to give a recommendation. I will say that any of these films noted at this link, all of which I have seen, may not have made millions of $'s but are all creative masterpieces. http://frenchfilms.topcities.com/Great_Films.html.

I'm not sure what exactly it is that is perplexing you. My dad used ask me what he should do w me. I will answer what i think is puzzling you.

I watch very few movies, basically avoid most media (not all). How could a person do that? It may seem strange. It's the heavy lacing w propaganda in most movies that turns my stomache. I'm tired of herd (group) think. However, i may search for one or two of your recommendations. Thanks again.

SS

• blobby
    blobby

HS....I took your advise to dig a little deeper and I thought you may appreciate a little humble pie....read on...

L'exception culturelle under threat as DVD sales and US blockbusters hit French films

Amelia Gentleman in Paris
    Sunday October 26, 2003 The Observer

Hundreds of French film directors and screenwriters are meeting this weekend to discuss how to save the French film industry from crisis in the face of diminishing state funding, waning audience numbers and the unstoppable rise of the DVD.

On the surface the industry appears healthy. It has never been more prolific, producing 200 films last year. Fifty million more cinema tickets were sold in 2002 than 10 years ago and the business benefits from more generous, state-imposed subsidies than any other European country.

Given these luxurious conditions, it seems extraordinary that the film community should be indulging in doom-mongering. But the conference taking place this weekend in the medieval Burgundy town of Beaune is set to be overshadowed by anxiety over looming crises in film financing. Over 450 French film professionals will debate ways of revitalising an industry which is feeling the heat of competition.

The climate of uncertainty is fuelled by concern that France's bountiful subsidy structure could dwindle with changes in the system next year. At the heart of film-makers' alarm is the fear that Canal Plus, which for two decades has acted as the main pillar of support for the industry, could renegotiate its obligations to cinema, pouring less of its revenues into French film.

'Although the industry is doing well, we can see worrying signs on the horizon,' said Pascal Rogard, representative of the screenwriters, directors and producers lobby group, the ARP. 'Our government needs to act now to stave off future difficulties.'

The relationship between Canal Plus, Europe's largest pay-television operator, and the film industry dates back to its foundation in 1984, when President François Mitterrand stipulated that, in exchange for a terrestrial broadcasting licence, the channel would have to put 20 per cent of its annual revenue towards supporting films. Under the same arrangement it had to invest 9 per cent in French movies.

This contract was born from the Mitterrand government's commitment to l'exception culturelle, France's determination to protect its cultural identity against invasions from the US. As a result, the French film industry is the only one in Europe to have thrived.

But Canal Plus is having trouble fighting off competition from rival cable channels and is unable to combat the popularity of the DVD. Canal Plus expects to lose about 130,000 subscribers this year - which ultimately means a drop in the amount available for supporting the film industry. The channel's licence comes up for renewal in 2004 and its directors are in discussions to see whether their obligations to the film industry can be lightened.

Directors say the channel is choosing to support a small number of big-budget films which it hopes will generate more revenues, and neglecting smaller, independent projects. 'The context for independent producers is very difficult now,' said Caroline Cesbron of France's National Cinematography Centre. 'The future is uncertain.'

The government has already begun to take some action. In May the Culture Minister, Jean-Jacques Aillagon, announced new tax breaks for film-makers and higher taxes to be imposed on DVDs and videos.

Meanwhile, US films dominate, attracting between 45 and 65 per cent of audiences every year.

Only the occasional box office success like Eight Women or Amélie attract as many viewers as standard Hollywood fare.

Beneath the gloom over finances, there is a deeper, unspoken unease that French-language films have had relatively little critical success in the international film festivals in recent years.

This is the cloud hanging over the industry which prompted a front page of the daily Libération newspaper last week, filled with a single picture of an empty cinema and the headline: 'French cinema - the Cold Sweat'.

Before you offer...........yes I accept your apology. ......

• acsot
    acsot

Hillary: you may also want to check out "Huitième Jour" and "Germinal". I loved both those films.

Yeru: so your standard of excellence is how much money is made? I guess by that standard National Enquirer is a great newspaper and Harlequin Romances are right up there with the great classics of literature .

• blobby
    blobby

Only pointing out that it can't be that extraordinary can it ??

I think the Observer is a legitimate source of intelligent information ...not simply a debators view point after all. (sorry lost all respect after you confessed to being a debator

This has got to be the most damming part of that observation from the Observer.

Beneath the gloom over finances, there is a deeper, unspoken unease that French-language films have had relatively little critical success in the international film festivals in recent years.

Film festival critique is "Pre" box office success and therefore has nothing to do with $.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

No apologies granted, no humble pie eaten.

You still seem to be under the illusion that popularity, box office takings, Oscars and Emmy's are a standard by which one measures creative success.

As I have said, you clearly do not know what you are talking about and have little clue at all about film-making. My trade is the arts. I have been in the arts for almost thirty years, so unlike yourself I *do* know what I am talking about. Get yourself educated about this matter Blobby, then perhaps you will either learn something or at least speak from some sort of territory of knowledge. As it is you are beginning to look very foolish indeed. Grasping at straws is not the best way of trying to debate your point.

(sorry lost all respect after you confessed to being a debator

lol....What can I say Blobby apart from the fact that better men than you respect me.

Again, you are a fool to not realize that the process you have been involved with on this thread is, called, wait for it, debating. Perhaps you need to resurrect your alter-ego Vit ( the one that posts from the same IP address as your own ) once again for help with this one.

Best regards - HS

• blobby
    blobby

HS,

My trade is the arts. I have been in the arts for almost thirty years

This says it all !.......you obviously have a viewpoint based on your own experience or bias, I can understand this as we are all entitled to have our own views but you are not opening up to reasonable opposite opinion. That is why I commented about you being a "Debator".

True "debators" do just that ...debate.... they do not consider the other persons opinion worthy of consideration, even if they agree (which I'm sure you do deep down) they will continue to debate.

These posts are for an exchange of viewpoints not "just" debating, it is you that has lost the intention here not I.

I've read some of your past posts and I can see that you have a very high opinion of yourself, higher learning theory springs to mind. Some of your material is quite interesting but because you like "listening to your own voice" many of your posts are quite boring.

Get yourself educated about this matter Blobby, then perhaps you will either learn something or at least speak from some sort of territory of knowledge

There you go again, I present a recent credible viewpoint (The Observer) and you disagree, without even being critical of the material presented only aiming critisism at me. It's OK though because as I pointed out I consider myself quite ordinary and unlike you, I will accept or at least consider other's reasonable opinion, even if it does differ considerably with mine. For an art's critic to write..............

there is a deeper, unspoken unease that French-language films have had relatively little critical (no mention of $) success in the international film festivals in recent years.

...........there must be a problem or is she wrong and you know better ? I repeat "Film festival critique is "Pre" box office success and therefore has nothing to do with $."

You didn't like me suggesting you sounded like a JW. But be honest the evidence is there in your presentation and delivery.....self opinionated and hiding behind the facts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit