An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Maybe they should make good movies. Then people would watch them and they would have revenue. Why is this concept so complicated for some people??

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Does anyone else find it strange that a new poster is so adamant and gung-ho about something that to most would be a non-issue? Especially when he/she violates board guidelines and general good manners by pretending to be two people, going as far as to have a conversation with his/her alter ego. Maybe not such a new poster after all

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

there is a deeper, unspoken unease that French-language films have had relatively little critical (no mention of $) success in the international film festivals in recent years.

Once again, I need to state that you are confusing creativity with box office, prizewinning, "I would like to thank my squirrel and my production team", accolades with creative success. How many times must I bring this to your notice. On this basis Rennaissance painting, Impressionism, Jazz, Blues, Cubism, yes, even the Talkies etc. etc. etc. would according to your own values, never have been given any serious thought in creative terms because they were not popular. They were all opposed as creative art forms when they were first declared to the world, no doubt by persons ignorantt of creativity such as yourself.

You clearly do not know what you are talking about. The French Film industry is undergoing a challenge at the moment due to the fact that many of its younger directors, producers and screenwriters are selling their heritage for Hollywood pap. Despite this, France has a catalogue of films going back sixty years which Hollywood rightfully stands in awe of. As I say Blooby, educate yourself before Blabbing.

It may be true that I like the tone of my own voice, it certainly makes more sense than your own, it may also be however, that what you interpret as 'loving the sound of your own voice", is because I actually know what I am talking about and you do not. You will notice for example, that I seldom involve myself in threads the subject of which I am ignorant of. I prefer to read these and learn, as you should be doing with this one.

You claimed in passing that you had not posted to this Board before, and that Vit, though sharing your ISP was not your good-self, would you like to confirm that?

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Crazy,

Maybe they should make good movies. Then people would watch them and they would have revenue. Why is this concept so complicated for some people??

Again, you fall into the same trap of equating revenue with success in the arts. Where on earth did you get this twisted principal from, apart from Blobby of course.

Is it too complicated for 'some' to appreciate that a revenue flow, and a creative flow are not the same thing!! HS PS - Now Clint Eastwood at the Stratford Theatre playing King Lear...that should bring in the revenue. Comedies are always popular.
  • blobby
    blobby

Funny...............

I totally agree that this is a non issue "The French Film Industry" .....who really cares apart from HS...........................the French certainly don't.

The point of continuing this thread is to try to help HS understand that he is Very Very self opinionated and that just because he has a strong view point and is supposedly from the industry .....what ever that industry may be ........it doesn't make him Totally..Totally correct. I personally am sick of this type of attitude.

If he would just standback and "hear" someone else's opinion.........right or wrong........he may understand a little more about how "his" industry is viewed by "ordinary" cinema goers and thereby "learn" in the process. This new knowledge may then be utilsed to help improve the ailing "French Film Industry" he so affectionately cares for.....and at last admitts to be ailing

Can only Old posters be adament ? or do new posters have to be quiet?

And as for 2 persons being 1 you are totally incorrect. I don't know how the IP system works but if 2 persons use the same PC shouldn't it be the same ?

HS....

Is it too complicated for 'some' to appreciate that a revenue flow, and a creative flow are not the same thing!!

Why don't you see that NO one has said they are !!....you said the FFI was extraordinary but have yet offered nothing to prove it. People are commenting that success is/can be measured by the box office.

Creativity is limited to individual appreciation. Therefore if the FFI was extraordinary it would be appreciated by more than just the French....logical reasoning...or do you want to argue that point too.

And for observers you may notice that HS has now resorted to personal attack after personal attack despite me putting forward some reasonable arguements even if they can be flawed....but that has yet to be proved !

• acsot
    acsot
    On this basis Rennaissance painting, Impressionism, Jazz, Blues, Cubism, yes, even the Talkies etc. etc. etc. would according to your own values, never have been given any serious thought in creative terms because they were not popular. They were all opposed as creative art forms when they were first declared to the world

Absolutely correct, HS. (ever read the book "The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron? There is a section of the book dealing with creativity/financial success and how often the latter will actually impede the former. Truly creative artists need to rejuvenate themselves and their, take a step back at times, and not constantly churn out what is expected of them by initial successes, thereby often eliminating creative originality for the sake of dollars.)

BTW, did you ever see the 1991 movie "Tatie Danielle"?

"Meet the meanest old lady on earth. She's Auntie "Tatie" Danielle, a demanding and manipulative woman who must be waited on hand and foot. When she moves in with her great nephew, he and his wife hope that "Tatie" will be the grandmother the children never had. It doesn't take long, however, for this cantankerous old lady to make everyone's life hell. A clever and darkly hilarious work from director Etienne Chatliez. French with English subtitles

Really quite funny. I just saw "Since Otar Left" (Depuis qu'Otar est parti), a French/Georgian production - the lead actress, 90 years old, began acting at the age of 85. She's wonderful.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    And as for 2 persons being 1 you are totally incorrect. I don't know how the IP system works but if 2 persons use the same PC shouldn't it be the same ?

Yes, but it's a bit strange logging out, then getting your room-mate (wife/husband/uncle/whatever, we've heard them all) to post a message agreeing with you, then almost immediately logging back in and "high-fiving" him for it. Plus it makes it look like you're just another troublemaker with multiple accounts.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, you may not know this, but you wouldn't be the first person to arrive around the same time as someone else with the same IP address and writing style and suddenly start posting provocatively. Can't blame us for being a tad suspicious. You'll probably think it's ridiculous but previous posters have actually carried on long multi-post conversations with themselves here.

Anyway, regarding your point, such as it is:

Why don't you see that NO one has said they are !!....you said the FFI was extraordinary but have yet offered nothing to prove it.

La Belle et La Bete, Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, Trois Couleurs: Bleu, Blanc, Rouge, Amelie

If the French had never made another film the above would be enough to prove the claim. The French Film Industry really is extraordinary. What proof do you want beyond the extraordinary films it produces?

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker
    Again, you fall into the same trap of equating revenue with success in the arts. Where on earth did you get this twisted principal from, apart from Blobby of course.

Simple: If it was good people would pay money to see it *duh*

Since we are talking about 'art' people go to the Louvre all the time and pay top $$$ because it is *gasp* filled full of top notch art! What a concept! Maybe people enjoy American films more? Maybe people should make films to entertain people!

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Maybe they should make good movies.

Oh! You mean THAT'S all it takes for you to like the French? Well here ya go 151 baby...........

http://web.singnet.com.sg/~tonym/jeande.html

These are 2 of my favorite films of all time, oh yeah, and they just happen to be French. Sorry nothing gets blown up and there isnt gratuitous nudity, a little nudity for ya though :)

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz
    Simple: If it was good people would pay money to see it *duh*

Sorry, I'm on a roll today. I just went to see The Day After Tomorrow. It sucked really bad, but I went to see 1) because I was bored 2) because it was so heavily promoted, and I have no self-control against heavy promotion :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit