An average Americans view of the French people

by Maverick 97 Replies latest jw experiences

• Maverick
    Maverick

Seems the guys want to hear about the women. OK

No fat French women. Did not see many fake boobs either. Not much make-up but a lot of very nice looking black women with their nails and hair done up. Better in general than the non blacks. If you like noses the French have very strong facial features. I found them a rather handsome people and the women very pleasant to look at. A city full of good-looking people. My good manners made me stand out as a foreigner.

FBF looks a lot like Nora Jones and can even sing. She says not but don't believe her.

I behaved so that is all I can tell you about the ladies. Sorry to disappoint you gents. It was not why I went there. Actually it was a nice rest. Which ended very soon after my return home! Maverick

• gumby
    gumby

Skinny and hyper.

Gumby

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Babyface,

The catacombs are fantastic! Creepy, spooky, and facinating. There are a couple of underground exploration sites on the web were poeple have explored the fenced off part of the catacombs. Basicly there are miles and miles of unmapped catacombs underneath Paris. Great stuff!

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Quick note of info: (did I mention that there are 5-6 Million people buried in the catacombs??)

The Outer Limits of the Twilight ZoneEven so, the bones filled only a tiny percentage of the empty quarries. Although no exhaustive modern map is known to exist, explorers have estimated that there are at least 185 miles (300km) of tunnels in the entire network of catacombs?that?s in addition to the 1,300 miles (2,100km) of sewer tunnels and 124 miles (199km) of subway tracks in the Métro system, though the three systems crisscross and interconnect at various points. Among a certain Paris subculture, exploring these forgotten tunnels is considered a sport. Despite the best efforts of maintenance workers to seal off illicit entrances and police patrols that slap heavy fines on trespassers, the maze of tunnels is so extensive that it is simply not possible to keep ahead of the so-called cataphiles.

• ball.
    ball.

Mav, you'll find the same difference about the expected service levels in you come to the UK. *** or even worse depending on your point of view *** It makes dealing with American customers very tricky.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I lived in Geneva in 1998/99 for about 15 months, about a kilometer from the French border. We traveled quite a bit in France, and I quickly fell in love with the country and the French people. I found them friendly, down to earth, and a lot of fun. I must admit that at first I had the usual American prejudices, thinking that the French were a snooty lot. But I even had a great experience in Paris, except for one time standing hours in line to see the palace at Versaille.

Upon arriving in Paris, we checked into our hotel. We had been in Geneva only about 3 months, and my French was miniscule, but I tried to talk to the host at the check-in counter in my broken French. He let me go on for a couple of minutes, with a completely straight face. Then he said brightly, in excellent English, "I see you're having trouble with your French. Shall we try English now?" My wife started laughing and said, "You dirty dog!" We all cracked up. I found the French to be great jokers like that, and great hosts. Last December we visited some friends who live in the small town of Thoiry, near Geneva. He's English and she's French, from the Alsace region. Just wonderful people! Drank way too much fine French wine and ate way too much wonderful, stinky French cheese (my favorite is the horrible smelling Vacheron Mont D'Or).

The best thing about France, though, is the fois gras!

AlanF

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Vacheron Mont D'Or

My French is non-existent, but judging from my knowledge of Spanish, that sounds like it would translate as "The Big Fat Cow from the Golden Mountain."

I don't think I want to know why that cheese stank.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Blobby,

I have French collegues who I meet every month.........they're arrogant, condescending and lazy. Went on holiday last year to france........nice place - crap people, bad attitude...

Well I cannot speak for your work ethics, but I will say that your statement is very arrogant and condescending.

If the French are a proud people, they come by it honestly, they have much to be proud of. Yes, I have lived there. No I am not French. Yes, I do admire them. I have seldom met a people who respect their visionaries and idealists and as much as the French and it would be foolish to deny that this nation has had a profound influence on the ethics and culture of the Western nations the past three hundred years.

It is true that generally the French despise the ordinary and I suspect it is here that most people confuse a respect of uniqueness with a display of arrogance. I have to agree with French thinking, being ordinary is nothing to be proud of, and being ordinary *and* proud is an offence against humanity.

HS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Euph

It might also be 'cowboy of the golden melons mountain'.

SS

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    and being ordinary *and* proud is an offence against humanity.

Unfortunately, that seems to be one of the more common traits of humanity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit