US calls off search for weapons of mass destruction

by WhyNow2000 193 Replies latest social current

• bisous
    bisous

Although I am new here, I quickly learned to refrain from posting on the politically-oriented threads, because IMO I thought they were heavily slanted towards a very conserviative point of view.

LOL, that is why I felt compelled to post a short note in response to Stacy's comments. In fact, in particular I have avoided replying to Stacy's comments .... even though I have had many a sassy reply. I have elected to give her the benefit of the doubt, given she is only 20 years old. I have a 23 year old daughter ... and realize how quickly they are ready and willing to offer (no, TOUT) their opinions based on very limited experience. Not to mention, the drama of it all. I remember my own confidence in my wisdom when I was that age. funny how time rounds one, isn't it?

Big Tex, I would suggest that maybe you consider this as a contributing factor...remember the folly of youth, when we were so VERY convinced of our positions......20 years later and looking back, we all can find one or 2 things to blush about.

• seven006
    seven006

I do not post on political threads. I have also not participate in a circle jerk. But I like to look in and see what all my friends are fighting about. So, that I don't feel left out, here are some of my political comments said by people both wiser and funnier than I am. You guys have fun.

Dave

Too bad that all the people who really know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair.
    -George Burns

When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

In our age there is no such thing as "keeping out of politics." All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.
    -George Orwel

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
    -Groucho Marx

Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.
    - Hermann Goering

A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy, or perhaps both.
    -James Madison

A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.
    -Oscar Levant

Politics would be a helluva good business if it weren't for the goddamned people.
    -Richard M. Nixon

• shamus
    shamus

A poster said here "They want the U.S. to forgive money loaned to them".

Oh, so I guess that gives the U.S. the right to invade anyone who owes them money??? Surely you did not mean it that way.

U.S., start looking at how YOU ARE PERCIEVED in the world. If you don't give a dam, then look out!

If you cannot understand why people hate you, why don't you find out why? Or are you too scared to?

Pardon my ignorance here but it seems like everybody who is for the war is for it so that Iraq can be assimilated into western democracy. pallease! Democracy will never work in Iraq. And you can quote me on that one.

• foreword
    foreword
    the Coalition forces uncovered more in a few days than Blix and his cronies did the whole time they were there

I certainly hope so. You have 130,000 roaming Iraq compared to a handful for the UN, not mentioning the fact that no one is stopping you from searching or trying to divert your attention. But if you take it man for man, year for year (per man hours)...you're not doing much better in finding those weapons are you? So why accuse the UN inspectors of doing a bad job. They didn't have free access to the country as you do.

What amazes me also, is that Powell, when facing the UN security counsel, seemed to know exactly where those weapons were. According to him, if the US was given a chance they would find those weapons in a snap. So what happened to all that intelligence? Why haven't you found them?

Like I said, per man hours, you're lagging behind the UN in effectiveness in locating them.

• Waymores Ghost
    Waymores Ghost

: "Ya gotta remember....Blix didn't want to be the guy to find WMD."

Do you know that as an established fact, or is it just your opinion?

Wg

• Robdar
    Robdar

Bravo for both sides in this discussion! I love a good political debate.

I have had fun reading this thread. My only wish is that people would stay to the topic at hand instead of reducing it to a personal attack.

Can we get this thread rolling again?

BTT

Robyn

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

Stac, Yeru: Discussing politics with EXJWS on this board is like maturbating with a cheese grater.....

Slightly amusing but mostly painful.........

(I just love Ford Fairlane....)

• little witch
    little witch

LOL with Sheila...

Uh-huh! Sure is!

I must say though, I am of the opinion that the board is not dominated by conservatives, but by others...

Funny how we see things differently!

Also, the thing we are told to avoid effect our daily life, and well being!

Personally, I cant think of a more proper thing to discuss, alas at the right time and place.

I love politics, and my power to voice my opinion. I can accept however that this is not perhaps the best place to do so.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

WG,

The Blix deal, that's opinion...but I think his actions bear this out (or is it bare this out???).

At any rate, the UN as a whole was oppossed to this war...Russia was making money selling NVG's to the Iraqis (inspite of UN sanctions), France was making money selling forbidden weapons to the Iraqis (in spite of UN sanctions), and Germany was selling industrial goods (and a centrafuge) to the Iraqis, (inspite of UN sanctions), so...ya see, they had a vested interest to avoid war...and you can also see why I and those like me don't give a hoot about the UN...though that building would be great if it went CONDO.

Short end of this...by adding the article I did, I showed the first article to be stilted to try to induce people to believe the US had given up on the WMD search...nothing can be farther from the truth.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith
    Stac, Yeru: Discussing politics with EXJWS on this board is like maturbating with a cheese grater.....

Sheila you're hysterical. There are many things I'm willing to try, this wouldn't be one of them.

Rob it can't be a debate if one side keeps getting censored.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit