US calls off search for weapons of mass destruction

by WhyNow2000 193 Replies latest social current

• WhyNow2000
    WhyNow2000

The Bush administration has quietly withdrawn a 400-member military team

it sent to Baghdad to scour Iraq for evidence of unconventional weapons...

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2004/0109/901262949HM1IRAQ.html

wow!

• Aztec
    Aztec

And people don't believe me when I say that the US changed their reasons for going to war with Iraq several times. Ummm, sure. If they had started out with the reason of liberating the Iraqi's from Saddam and stuck with it I could've gotten behind it..perhaps. As it is, the Bush administration has lost all credibility with me and a lot of others. Not that it had a lot to start out with but, it could have made gains IMO. Oh well....

~Aztec

Clark in 2004!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I guess they will be packing up all their toys and going home now. Oh, and apoligizing all around, setting saddam free, feeling really embarassed at their big boo boo invasion, bad intel, no hard feelings, and all that. I'm sure the iraqis would understand. Anybody can make a false invasion every now and then.

SS

• Amazing
    Amazing

If Saddam had nothing, then all he had to do was allow unfettered inspections and full cooperation ... instead the Iraqi reports were proven fraudulant, and Saddam is now out of power. He obviously had something to hide.

The US did find significant information, and some weapons, as well as capability to make WMDs ... and that was the reason for going to war, to end the capability as well as finding WMDs that they believed existed.

I am still glad the US did invade due to what they found, hundreds of mass graves, with some having thousands buried ... and the most recent had over 400,000 dead ... and mostly the extreme gratitude of the majority of Iraqis who hated the tyranny of Saddam ...

Finally, there is documented proof that Saddam was working with Al Qaeda and that the French were enabling Saddam to evade UN weapons inspectors and divert their weapons to a safe location ... eventually, some of the WMDs were moved out of the country ... some are there, but it is a big country and it will take a lot of time to locate them.

What they found so far are Serrin gas, highly radioactive locations used for WMD production, mobil weapons labs, missles, burried air force, illegal long range drones with WMD capability, an Al Qaeda training facility complete with manuals and training programs. So, while they did not find a huge stockpile of nukes, they did find enough to show cause for invading ... and to help end one major player in terrorism.

The seething hatred that the radical islamic groups have for the US is highly significant ... and all I can think of is the overwhelming scenes of the Twin Towers burning and then falling, killing thousands ... it is a matter of a global struggle for the kind of civilization we will have ... and to date, I see nothing in the middle east that makes me want to give up what we have in the west. I see nothing that their culture has that reflects rational living ... and while they have a right to live the way they do, they do not have a right to infringe on how the west wants to live.

Jim W.

• bisous
    bisous

Amazing-you have referenced many claims which you appear to believe have been substantiated. Can you provide links or references which document any of the assertions. I would be very interested in reading the back-up if you could please share it.

Thanks much, Bisous

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

For me Saddam was a weapon of mass destruction doesn't he count..I mean Hitler would qualify???

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

The seething hatred that the radical islamic groups have for the US is highly significant ... and all I can think of is the overwhelming scenes of the Twin Towers burning and then falling, killing thousands ... it is a matter of a global struggle for the kind of civilization we will have ... and to date, I see nothing in the middle east that makes me want to give up what we have in the west. I see nothing that their culture has that reflects rational living ... and while they have a right to live the way they do, they do not have a right to infringe on how the west wants to live.

Yeah well, think about 9/11 scenes all you want, it doesn't particularly impress me. I remember those scenes too, they are rather unforgettable. The important thing, for those of us who really care about such matters, is to keep America safe from it happening again, to whatever extent and in any manner that is possible.

Excursions to far-away lands to kill lots of brown people with big noses who talk and dress funny, does not automatically make America safe or even safer, even if one of those big nosed fellas happens to be a very bad man.

This was a dog and pony show that has killed & maimed & injured thousands upon thousands of American servicemen and Iraqi civilians. Meanwhile, Osama bin Laden goes free, Afgahnistan slips into chaos, every American serviceman in Iraq is a huge red white and blue target for every Islamic extremist on the planet, not to mention some patriotic Iraqis who just don't understand, dammit, and the US military is stretched dangerously thin to the point of using stop-loss orders.

Oh what a tangle web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.

They should have listened to Anthony Zinni and Wes Clark and any other wise men telling them what they didn't want to hear.

• shamus
    shamus

It's simple. Bush and Blair should be tried as war criminals. No if and's or but's.

We all knew long ago that they had no weapons... it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out!

Now it's vietnam over there. I hope that Bush is happy. He's got more than egg in his face. The only thing that would make me happier is if he got charged with war crimes.

• Simon
    Simon

And there's more ...

Powell now says there is no proof that links Iraq to Al Quida (another bogus reason to invade)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3909150/

What a change from the talk he gave to the UN?!

On the radio, there was a report out detailing the intelligence about Iraq - it hadn't changed significantly since 1988 and then suddenly, just before Bush wanted to go to war, they started re-interpreting the same evidence and dropping the disclaimers to make it more scary. They systematicall misrepresented the intelligence.

So, "Iraq may have 100 missiles unaccounted for" became "Iraq has at least 100 missiles". Bits were added to make it appear that they had chemical and biological and nuclear weapons and then the whole thing was put before congress (and the UN).

A game was played where the US and UK both put out bogus intelligence and then quoted and referenced each others claims to back up the stories and give it more credibility.

What a fraud.

There are reports that the guy in charge of the weapon inspections is quitting without publishing a final report.

• shamus
    shamus

That's absolutley true, Simon. He did quit. And I don't blame him... because there were none. Saddam Hussein should still be in power right now, as distasteful as that may sound. Just because they screwed up during the first war does not mean that the second war was justified...

They blatantley lied. Shame on them! What a redneck jackass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit