Who really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

by Godlyman 349 Replies latest watchtower bible

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Once again, I don't know if you are pulling my leg or not but the text's meaning is not dependent upon a translation. The writer is clearly saying Yahweh's anger, denouncement, punishment etc had not ended. It's often assumed his concern was the temple not having been rebuilt as that is what immediately follows.

16Therefore the LORD says this: “I will return to Jerusalem with compassion; My house will be built in it,” declares the LORD of armies, “and a measuring line will be stretched over Jerusalem.”’ 17Again, proclaim, saying, ‘This is what the LORD of armies says: “My cities will again overflow with prosperity, and the LORD will again comfort Zion and again choose Jerusalem.”’

There is no way to misinterpret that. In the mind of Zechariah the "70 years" was just now closing and the reversal of God's disfavor was imminent. It's also quite possible the writer of proto-Zechariah was embittered that while Babylon was technically no longer their master the Achaemenid Empire was. And perhaps to his dismay few wanted to leave their homes and businesses to go to a land they had never seen to start over. Even getting priests to go was a struggle.

But as long as you are obsessed with Babylon, what was supposed to happen at the end of the 70 years?

Jeremiah 25: 12But when seventy years are complete, I will punish the king of Babylon and that nation, the land of the Chaldeans, for their guilt, declares the LORD, and I will make it an everlasting desolation.

Even students of the Bible know that did not happen. Babylon did not suffer destruction, according to Daniel it fell without so much as the gates damaged.

• BruceX
    BruceX
    If you cannot take the heat then get out of the kitchen.
    JW don't talk like that. So I think you are not a JW. One more reason to stop the conversation.
  • scholar
    scholar

Bruce X

W don't talk like that. So I think you are not a JW. One more reason to stop the conversation.

-

This is a robust conversation but you are most wise to stop the conversation. I have to reply to many responses so I simply missed your original post but as you indicate your lack of participation then I will not respond to that inquiry. All the best!!!

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

In short. what your interpretation means is that the 70 years of Zechariah was a period of 'fastings' only and is a separate period to that of Jeremiah's 70 years both separate periods have different beginnings and endings and run parallel to each other in the course of Jewish history.

Your waffling circumlocutory aside, it is indeed a separate period. It’s not really ‘my interpretation’, it is clearly indicated in Zechariah 7:1-7. It specifically indicates 70 years of fasting that had continued until Darius’ 4th year (518 BCE). So it obviously isn’t referring to Babylon’s 70 years that ended decades earlier in 539 BCE. And of course it’s not referring to a nonexistent ‘70-year exile’ found nowhere in the Bible. It’s only nutty religious types like yourself who are desperate for it to mean something other than what it directly states. 😂

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Your waffling circumlocutory aside, it is indeed a separate period. It’s not really ‘my interpretation’, it is clearly indicated in Zechariah 7:1-7. It specifically indicates 70 years of fasting that had continued until Darius’ 4th year (518 BCE). So it obviously isn’t referring to Babylon’s 70 years that ended decades earlier in 539 BCE. And of course it’s not referring to a nonexistent ‘70-year exile’ found nowhere in the Bible. It’s only nutty religious types like yourself who are desperate for it to mean something other than what it directly states.

--

Your interpretation makes no sense for Zech. 7:3,5 clearly states that the Jews had fasted in both the fifth and seventh months for 70 years this was due to the simple fact that during that period the Jews were in Exile hence the reason for their fastings and mourning.. You state that this verse began in 587 with the destruction of Jerusalem and its Temple ending in 518 BCE. My question is that if this 70-year period of fasting began with a definite event such as the destruction of Jerusalem then what event marked its ending in 518 BCE?

scholar JW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Should we re-name this thread?

Footnote: this is a good example of going off-topic.🫣🥴

OK carry on

Cheers,

Ozzie (of the Tony Morris class) 🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

P.S. hi scholar, you’ve done it again! 🙃

• scholar
    scholar

ozziepost

Hi!

Scholar just cannot help himself

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

My question is that if this 70-year period of fasting began with a definite event such as the destruction of Jerusalem then what event marked its ending in 518 BCE?

The ‘event’ was that it was then that Sharezer and Regem-Melek asked the question. It is directly stated in the passage. Some people really are thick. Your question implies that you think that some remarkable things should happen beyond simply asking about the fasts, probably for some weird religious symbolism or some other superstitious ‘significance’. 🤦‍♂️

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

The ‘event’ was that it was then that they asked the question. It is directly stated in the passage. Some people really are thick.

--

Evasion at its best so let me put this question to you:

Zechariah 1:12

What was the date and event that marked the beginning and end of these 70 years?

Zechariah 7:5

What was the date and event that marked the beginning and end of these 70 years?

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Zechariah 1

Zechariah 7

It is not necessary to pander to your specific demands. Even I provide the specific dates (which are already in the relevant passages), you will still cling to your dogmatic nonsense anyway.

Honest readers can refer to other pages on the site above for additional information, including the date of Jerusalem’s destruction and all other pertinent details. I will also respond to questions from people who can engage honestly and respectfully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit