Who really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

by Godlyman 349 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Godlyman
    Godlyman
    Biahi5 hours ago
    Anyone making that claim should be able to prove it.

I agree with Biahi. The way to prove it is by first examining the scripture in order to understand the meaning of the slave.

“Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his master made ruler over his household, to give them food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find so doing. Assuredly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all his goods. But if that evil servant says in his heart, ‘My master is delaying his coming,’ and begins to beat his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he is not looking for him and at an hour that he is not aware of, and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

First, it seems this servant (singular) is one person and not a group of people the JW's identify as the faithful and discreet slave "class". And Jesus will appoint this slave as ruler over his household. Does this mean Jesus will appoint the slave as king upon the earth over the congregation?

Estephan
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think you are here to "witness" to us about YOUR religious ideas.

IF SO: Don't go away mad, just go away. Nobody cares.

Nobody Cares

• truth_b_known
  • Ding
    Ding

Do dozens of false prophecies and doctrinal flip-flops qualify as disproving the claim?

If not, what would?

• Godlyman
    Godlyman

Huh?

DesirousOfChange2 hours agoI think you are here to "witness" to us about YOUR religious ideas.
    IF SO: Don't go away mad, just go away. Nobody cares
  • Godlyman
    Godlyman

So, are we all in agreement that the WTS is "not" the faithful and discreet slave as they claim to be? If so, then who really is? Does he make himself known to others? Does he know things that others do not know? Hmmm. What are your own thoughts on the matter?

Estephan

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    So, are we all in agreement that the WTS is "not" the faithful and discreet slave as they claim to be? If so, then who really is?

No one is.

45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 Truly I tell you, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’ 49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Who is the faithful and discreet slave of Matthew 24:45? Who is the wicked servant of Matthew 24:28? Notice the faithful and discreet slave of Matthew 24:45 is the same one in verse 48 - "But suppose that servant (faithful and wise) is wicked..."

So, Jesus was speaking an opportunity for Christians. Take care of your fellow servants and when Jesus returns he will put you in charge of all his possessions. Beat on your fellow Christians and Jesus will cut you to pieces.

In short, its a promise and a warning to Christians. Be Christlike or else. It is not a designated person or group.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

For such an alleged vital doctrine you'd think Mark would have included the parable. Luke includes the parable but relocates it (chapt 12) apart from the apocalyptic sign section (chapt 21). This might seem unimportant but it's Matt's version that contributes to the WT's misapplication. Reading Luke's version makes even clearer that the "servant" does not symbolize a single entity by following up with:

47 “The servant who knows the master’s will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. 48 But the one who does not know and does things deserving punishment will be beaten with few blows. From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked.

It's pretty hard to mistake the parable targeted a larger audience of individuals and not to a single entity.

• Godlyman
    Godlyman

What possessions is Jesus talking about? If it is in reference to all Christians, then how do Christians go about beating one another? How can he put many Christians in charge of his possessions? You have heard of the expression, too many chiefs and not enough Indians? There exists a dispute as to whether or not the slave refers to a single person or all Christians. I believe him to be one person.

Although I prefer not to argue over semantics the scriptures mentioned only one person as in "him": And the Lord said, “Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his master will make ruler over his household, to give them their portion of food in due season? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you that he will make him ruler over all that he has.

If I were to say that I am he, how could you prove me wrong?

Estephan

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GODLYMAN:

Nobody ELSE has to prove anything.

The burden of proof would be on you or whoever else would make any such divine claims!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit