Who really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave?

by Godlyman 349 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

Being 'near' is not good enough for it raises ambiguity. Zechariah does not say that the 70 years of fasting is reached in Darius' 4th year but only that he received the vision in that year referring to 70 years in the past. That is your problem.

No problem for me whatsoever. The author could have chosen the year the temple was actually completed and said 73 years, but this would lack the favoured use of the number 70 in Jewish literature. Your claim that Zechariah only ‘received a vision’ in the 4th year is entirely contrary to the passage.

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

No problem for me whatsoever. The author could have chosen the year the temple was actually completed and said 73 years, but this would lack the favoured use of the number 70 in Jewish literature. Your claim that Zechariah only ‘received a vision’ in the 4th year is entirely contrary to the passage.

--

Zechariah clearly states that it was in the 2nd and 4th year of Darius that 'the word of Jehovah' came to Zechariah which was the timing of the vision/oracle and not the end of the 70 years period. The use of the number '70' in Jewish literature was usually used in reference to the Jewish Exile as shown by the immediate context of chapter 7 note particularly verse 7.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

The use of the number '70' in Jewish literature was usually used in reference to the Jewish Exile as shown by the immediate context of chapter 7 note particularly verse 7.

Entirely wrong, as usual. The Bible never mentions 70 years of exile. It does, on the other hand, say that ‘serving Babylon’ was the way to avoid exile (Jeremiah 27:8-11). (Funny that the Watch Tower Society barely ever even mentions verse 11 let alone quote it.) Have you read the Bible? I have to wonder sometimes. 😂

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Entirely wrong, as usual. The Bible never mentions 70 years of exile. It does, on the other hand, say that ‘serving Babylon’ was the way to avoid exile (Jeremiah 27:8-11). (Funny that the Watch Tower Society barely ever even mentions verse 11 let alone quote it.) Have you read the Bible? I have to wonder sometimes. 😂

---

Obviously wrong as usual. The Bible does describe the 70 years as a period of Exile- a period of servitude to Babylon and a period of the desolation of Judah which all three elements have become known as the 'Exile' , 'Babylonian Exile' or 'Jewish Exile'. Jeremiah 25: 11 and verse 12 are well discussed in WT literature so just go and check the WT Publications Index and actually count the number of specific references to both verses. As is your usual practice- sloppy research or none at all.

scholar JW

• BruceX
    BruceX

When was the last time a WT study article discussed 1914 in all the details with all the scriptures about 70 years? I can't find it.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

‘scholar’:

The Bible does describe the 70 years as a period of Exile

Must be a verse I missed 😂. Provide a citation and quote for this elusive verse that mentions 70 years of exile. 😂

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

BruceX:

When was the last time a WT study article discussed 1914 in all the details with all the scriptures about 70 years? I can't find it.

Rebuttals to their 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 attempts to defend their nutty doctrines can be accessed here

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Must be a verse I missed 😂. Provide a citation and quote for this elusive verse that mentions 70 years of exile. 😂

---

No problems.

2 Chron.36: 20-22; Ezra 1:1-6

Jeremiah 25:8-11; 29:4-10. Note the expression 'exiled people' in verse 4.

Daniel 9:1-7

Zechariah 1:7-12; 7:1-8

Now that was not hard for you could have done this.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Ha ha. The only passage that mentions ‘exile’ at all says attention would be given to the Jews’ return after Babylon’s 70 years had ended, and none of them refer to 70 years of exile. No wonder he wasn’t willing to provide quotes 😂

• BruceX
    BruceX

Rebuttals to their 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 attempts to defend their nutty doctrines can be accessed

Thanks, I know those articles. None of them go into details though. I think there is no Watchtower study article in the last 100 years that covers all the relevant scriptures in details.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit