THEY'VE DONE IT!!!! The WBTS set a new date!

by dmouse 208 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

And how does this all fit with the generation then born would be alive to witness it? Does anyone by any stretch of the imagination believe that a person old enough in 1914 to comprehend the meaning of the year would still be alive 120 years after 1914? Or have they admitted that reasoning was wrong? They have an amazing gig going on, its like the psychic that says, I see that your name is Tom, or Harry, or Mike, or John, or Jason... they're bound to hit on something eventually. In the meantime they just making the same tired excuse... the light gets brighter and brighter.

This just makes me tired. Once you are deprogrammed from this cult it seems so bizarre that the rank and file could believe any of this BS.

Gretchen

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

DO MORE 'TIL 34!!!!!

• dmouse
    dmouse
    And how does this all fit with the generation then born would be alive to witness it? Does anyone by any stretch of the imagination believe that a person old enough in 1914 to comprehend the meaning of the year would still be alive 120 years after 1914? Or have they admitted that reasoning was wrong?

Yes, they have admitted that that reasoning was wrong .

The human lifetime link with 1914 was cut in 1995.

Watchtower for November 1st, 1995:

"Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days makeup a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah."

"Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ's presence but fail to mend their ways." (ibid, page 19; bold added)

• minimus
    minimus

Sorry, but I don't thnk they've set up a new date. That's just wishful thinking. This would only verify that their is no urgency. And that is something the Society would NEVER want to convey. Let us not grab at straws.

• flower
    flower

1. HOLY MOLY I didnt know they gave up that whole...'1914 generation will not pass away before the end'..thing. And they harped on that for so long! Damn it makes no sense that witnesses arent wise to their game by now.

2. 2034!! LOL thats too freakin hilarious. I am dying to call my mom and ask her what she thinks of that one. I remember her telling me that she never expected to send her youngest baby to school when he was born because the end was coming so soon. That was over 40 years ago. Now her grand babies will have babies before the end. When will they wake up and smell the coffee.

Its absolutely ludicrous that there are still long time jw's.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I don't get anything more than a hint about the 2034 date. They are just trying to scare people, but they haven't actually mentioned the year 2034, have they?

I mean, if they could scare people into thinking that without actually telling them that, then that would be better than the 1975 thing. I mean, they KEPT talking about 1975, saying the year over and over. They haven't even really mentioned 2034 specifically.

So, this is just more of the same scare tactics that they've been using before, but perhaps ramped up a bit louder.

CZAR

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal
    DO MORE 'TIL 34!!!!!

We are having the visit of our circuit overseer this week (tomorrow is his last day with our congregation). He hinted in his talk on Tuesday night that there is a trend being noticed that all publishers seem to want to do is the minimal--placing magazines and that's it. No return visits or attempts to start Bible studies. He read some scriptures about the apostle Paul and how dedicated he was to his ministry--even a quote from him saying he owed the people a debt of preaching the good news. We should be that way too--we are in debt to the people of the world--we owe them the good news. He also hinted that if we don't preach, well could be our fault that these people are "scheduled to be destroyed at Armageddon." (Do more) On Thursday night he mentioned (we have a small congregation of 79 publishers) that since a few more have been added to the ranks of regular pioneers, this brought down our congregation average from 8.5 to 7.5 so that means the congregation will have to work harder to bring our average back up. (Do more) I truly wonder what would happen if an entire congregation were regular pioneers--they would have to work hard to get just average congregation publishers (a regular Joe) to come to that congregation and keep them publishers? Then the society's viewpoint that everybody should be a pioneer is a contradictory one. Oh well...just venting here. I hope I didn't hijack the thread.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Thanks for this, dmouse

Gretchen 956

the light gets brighter and brighter.

That's one heck of a long-lasting old lightbulb, isn't it!

Blondie,

If I'm still alive I'll be 80 then. Do you reckon I'll still have my teeth?

Love,

Dansk

• minimus
    minimus

This is one of those threads that can get us going but in reality, there's no teeth to this Watchtower. Too much conjecture, imo. Overall, I think it's counterproductive....but again that's just my opinion.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

to be destroyed at Armageddon." (Do more) On Thursday night he mentioned -- a few more have been added --- , this brought down our congregation average from 8.5 to 7.5 so that means the congregation will have to work harder to bring our average back up. (Do more) I truly wonder what would happen if an entire congregation were regular pioneers--they would have to work hard to get just average congregation publishers (a regular Joe) to come to that congregation and keep them publishers? Then the society's viewpoint that everybody should be a pioneer is a contradictory one. Oh well...just venting here. I hope I didn't hijack the thread. Not at all -- all valid inforamtion -- your observation about the obsession with averages is contradictory is ver yvalid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit