Flat earth vs round earth

by Jrjw 315 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• atomant
    atomant
    l think its high time for these topics to be discussed .There all over the net and youtube is moving in and closing down many sites.Eric dubay is a flat earther and had a huge following his site was closed down last week.
  • Island Man
    Island Man

To be fair, Flat Earthers are correct in saying the Bible teaches a flat earth. They're just wrong in assuming that the Bible is an unassailable authority of truth. The Bible simply espouses ancient cosmology which is rooted in myth and ignorance.

• kairos
    kairos

I like the FACT that the ancient builders of the world's megaliths not only accomplished tasks still not attainable by modern technology, they also thought the earth was flat.

true story.

• kairos
    kairos
    To be fair, Flat Earthers are correct in saying the Bible teaches a flat earth.

Nobody has bothered to comment on what the 'firmament' mentioned in Genesis 1 might be. I wonder why?

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Mean Mr Mustard:

Isn’t that the very definition of “trolling”?

Precisely. Bingo!

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from kairos:

I like the FACT that the ancient builders of the world's megaliths not only accomplished tasks still not attainable by modern technology, they also thought the earth was flat.

true story.

Some Bible scholars have come to believe that those builders possessed super-human skills and abilities. They may have been the Giant Nephilim who populated Earth in the time of Noah and later. If that is so then they would have known that Earth is indeed a spheroid.

It is quite true that our modern construction skills and machinery would not enable us to readily duplicate many of those ancient structures. One day we will know how they were made and who made them.

• waton
    waton
    Nobody has bothered to comment on what the 'firmament' mentioned in Genesis 1 might be. I wonder why? kairos:

because to believe the earth to be a platter is one thing, to believe that it is also under a huge cover (like the ones that were used to keep the flies off the cake) would take the cake, raising the stakes of in-credulity to another level.
    Firm circles, and epicycles did not hold the stars and planets / wanderers firmly above the Earth. Bible writers were not the only ones to try to grapple with explanations, the g[r]eeks too, but to still teach all that, like wt , is taking ancestor [knowledge] worship too far.

Ps. the precision with which, and how firmly the orbits, rings fit into patterns is amazing though; shows how firmly nature adheres to the laws that govern it.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

In about 200BC, Eratosthenes of Cyrene not only knew the world was round, he was able to calculate the diameter of the earth, and the tilt of the earth, using the suns shadows. His calculations for both were remarkably accurate for the time. Eratosthenes was not the first person to realise the world was round. There seems to be quite a number of others before him. Some ancient Greeks seemed to think the world was cylindrical. In fact, there is very little evidence of the educated class of any advanced ancient civilisation thinking the world is flat.

ancient builders of the world's megaliths... accomplished tasks still not attainable by modern technology...

Sorry, but that is rubbish.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I was just reading a bit on the internet on the Antikythera mechanism. Apparently the ancient Greeks (or whoever built it) knew that the moon and planets have slightly elliptical orbits (ie not perfectly circular) and added gears to the mechanism to compensate. Even Copernicus didn’t know about the elliptical orbits. That wasn’t re-discovered until Kepler came along, and after a lot of observations over a long period.

By the way, those Babylonian tablets that are often referred to as proving Nebuchadnezzar came to the throne in 605BC also show that the Babylonians knew how to predict eclipses. Seems they likely thought the earth was a sphere as well.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

@karios and old navy:

your collective stupidity knows no limits. Modern construction couldnt build the pyramids or other structors of the ancient world..? I would love to say your joking or trolling but i fear your not. You really are idiots.

Consider the most basic facts: the pyramid of giza is 455 tall and made of stone, constructed around 2560 bc. It is a marvel of construction for that time to be sure... also fact: the washigton monument is 555 feet tall and made of stone and was completed in 1888. Why the hell would you think a smaller structure made of the same material couldnt have been made? How stupid are you people? What possible logic do you have for your assertion?

Lets look at modern construction with modern materials, shall we.... one world trade center, opened in 2014, is more than 3x times the height of the pyramid of giza at 1,776 feet tall. It's not even the close to the tallest building in the world.

the current tallest building in the world is Burj Khalifa standing at 2717 feet high, damn near 6x the height of gizas pyramid.

What are you thinking? The facts show not only could modern civilization build the pyramids, we have built structures that dwarf them in every way conceivable. How do you idiots manage to function in daily life?

Possibly what you mean is that we dont know how those impressive structures could have been built in the ancient world with the tools and technology of the day. THAT is a wonder and why, aptly, they are referred to “wonders of the ancient world”. But to suggest they couldnt be built today...? Dont you have somewhere else to go be stupid for a while?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit