2.16.2017 NJ Star-Ledger Ad: "Were you sexually abused by the Jehovahs Witnesses?"

by breakfast of champions 144 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The thing with JW victims is because of their indoctrination they're even less likey to come forward than non jw victims. The mesage to never under any circumstances to bring Jehovah's name or people into disrepute is strong in the minds of all JWs and exJWs and many don't tell who would have told if they had not been threatened as children with bible horror stories of what happens to bad people who speak against Jehovah and his people.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    It is exciting news, but I think it is wise to double check the reputations of the law firms involved before getting too carried away. There are a few comments on the reddit forum that have chastened my enthusiasm a little. -- COBWEB

I agree 100%.

When I've heard Rick Simons or Irwin Zalkin talk about their cases, they really do seem intent not only on righting an injustice with regards to their respective clients, but they also talk about effecting change on WT's child abuse policy.

When I heard Weitz & Luxenberg was the source of these ads, the first words that popped into my mind were "ambulance chasers," "slip-and-fall" and "sharks."

That being said, I personally don't care what their intentions are, as long as they sue the shit out of WT and get their clients what they deserve. WT hasn't been open to learning any lessons anyway.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

You need unscrupulous lawyers to deal with a unscrupulous organization.

• cobweb
    cobweb
    as long as they sue the shit out of WT and get their clients what they deserve.

Agreed. Bleeding the organisation dry is personally the bit I care about. This is a good end in itself as far as I am concerned. I'm not doubting they are capable of that. But for those who actually went through abuse, they're objectives may go beyond that and want a decent settlement for themselves as well as doing damage. Its that second aspect I am unsure about.

Its early days, I am just adding a cautious note for the sake of perspective.

No matter what, I do think its encouraging and exciting that a lawfirm, allbeit an ambulance chasing one, feels positive enough about their chances of taking on the Org that they have put out ads. That says something.

• Worldling9
    Worldling9

I have relatives in Jersey. Today it is in the Asbury Park Press.

I don't care who the lawyers are either. The word is getting out to the public that the JWs are more than just harmless religious fanatics. This is what needed to happen. The JWs can't stop it. Today is a good day.

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

If you look at their website. The lawyers are mostly litigators that have dealt with asbestos, mesothelioma and product liability cases. It is a number of firms who have joined together to support one another in this. They have teamed up with a firm that has specialized in child abuse cases for the expertise in handling the emotions that would come up with clients in dealing with this.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

2017 is going to be a great year!!

• Richard Oliver
    Richard Oliver

These lawyers will have to overcome a lot of persuasive and mandatory precedent. It will be interesting to see what happens over time.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    They have teamed up with a firm that has specialized in child abuse cases for the expertise in handling the emotions that would come up with clients in dealing with this. -- RICHARD OLIVER

It does really seem that way.

Some of the wording in the ad in spot-on:

It's not too late to receive help and seek accountability for those responsible. This is not something to be handled privately by the Watchtower!

Also the website:

Allegedly, more than 25 years ago, the Jehovah’s Witness’ Governing Body, the group of men who make and approve all policies, sent a memo to the elders of all 14,000 congregations stating that child sex abuse is a private matter and shouldn’t be discussed with anyone, especially the police. The memo also stated that revealing child sex abuse to law enforcement would result in punishment.
    It is believed that elders were instead instructed to fill out a form when abuse occurred. These forms were then scanned into a database. This leads investigators to believe that there are thousands of hidden records of sexual abuse within the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

This isn't some cookie-cutter operation. They've obviously done their homework.

• flipper
    flipper

BREAKFAST- Thanks for posting this. I hope that a good number of JW victims of child abuse and their families take advantage of these lawyers services. WT child abuse needs to be stopped dead in it's tracks. This has happened for way too long now. It's time for the financial roosters to come home to roost and financially shit on this criminal WT organization

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit