84 Lumber Commercial

by azor 236 Replies latest jw friends

• Razziel
    Razziel

I work with roughly 50% Hispanic coworkers. This is office work so we're not out plowing the fields. They're almost all nice people so I've got no complaints there. But from personal experience some consider themselves Americans of Mexican heritage. Others consider themselves Mexicans who happen to have been born/live/work in the US. Big difference in attitude and perspective.

Most of the newer immigrants I run into, both legal and illegal aren't from Mexico anymore, they're from Central and South America.

The biggest single concern I have with illegal immigration (and I have many) is automobile accidents. This doesn't get enough media attention. 20% of auto fatalities in the US are by people with no license. Second biggest factor after DUI. Yeah some of these are citizens with revoked licenses. Most of them aren't. Many of them don't have accident insurance either.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

One thing that has been mentioned on this thread is companies hiring undocumented immigrants. If a company gets caught many things will happen 1) company will get hit with sever penalties and fines 2) owners could possibly be looking at jail time 3) undocumented immigrants are facing deportation, if they are on the job site at the time of the inspection they are leaving in hand cuffs. When gov't walk in the door for an inspection they mean business.

• Spoletta
    Spoletta

Simon. Not to be flippant, but by sending jobs to Mexico, aren't we employing people who might otherwise try to come here? Short of guaranteeing that all jobs must be filled by native or legal residents, and levying severe fines and jail time to those who hire illegals, workers will continue to come to the US.

The refugees are a separate situation, we can try vetting them all, but I don't know if this country could afford the cost of adequately screening everyone claiming asylum. Unless we achieve equity in jobs and civil rights in the poorer nations, I can't see any real solution to this problem.

I see in the news today that another Republican now wants to severely cut the number of legal immigrants to this country. So, will this solve the problem? I doubt it. It will make some people happy, but that's about it.

I guess we're left with the xenophobic option, just close the borders completely, and if everything goes to hell, we can try something else. At least it will shut up the alt-right, which is not such a bad thing.

• azor
    azor

Razziel I appreciate your concerns and agree there are legitimate concerns

Rebelfighter my question is how often does this happen. You don't see derogatory terms being cast their way either. I would bet money that trump has illegal immigrants on his payroll as we speak. Either directly or through contract work.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Azor: I did not vote for Trump, so try again. One can agree that illegal immigration is a criminal problem that needs to be aggressively dealt with and still be a liberal.

• azor
    azor

Jehalepeno but demonizing entire groups of people is not the way to address much less solve the problem.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

CRIMINALS. They demonize themselves by breaking the law.

• azor
    azor

Jehalepeno it appears that this is a very emotional issue for you. Not surprising coming from someone who calls entire groups of people "wetbacks". Totally unhinged. Seems like you have more in common with the alt right.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter

Azor,

I do not have the statistics but I do know it happens. I know that if a company has outside auditors that performs annual audits that one of the steps of the audit is to check that personnel files to ensure that all documentation is in the file showing the legality of each employee. I would think Trump's companies are audited annually, he is a pretty smart business man.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Never a JW. Point to a single instance here where someone called someone else a bigot for referring to someone as illegal. This post and that commercial is about the wall. I for one believe that illegal immigration needs addressing. The wall is not the way.

Many people defending illegal immigration refer to people opposing illegal immigration as bigots. That's a debate killer. Can you see the big "I" in the word ILLEGAL. Referring to illegal people as "illegals" is not derogatory, is factual.

The wall is a bad move and a waste of money. I doubt it will ever be finished. Trump is bluffing and trying to score points with his supporters. He is running the country as he ran his real estate empire. He is bluffing knowing full well that he won't get his "initial offer", but will get much better than "fair price":

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit