Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Guess she didn't read the bible scripture about honoring your mother & father.

THE DRUDGE REPORT

MURDER MYSTERY: DR LAURA'S MOTHER LAY DEAD FOR MONTHS IN APARTMENT

A gruesome scene has unfolded on North Palm Drive in Beverly Hills where Dr. Laura Schlessinger's mother has been found dead -- with the body going undiscovered for months!

MORE

Yolanda Schlessinger, 77, died all alone in her apartment months ago, authorities now believe.

Concern was not raised until a neighbor realized Schlessinger's pet bird was no longer singing!

Police went into the house and found a woman who had been dead "a substantial amount of time."

Lt. Gary Gilmond of the Beverly Hills Police Department said an autopsy disclosed the woman was murdered.

MORE

Radio sensation Dr. Laura released a statement: "I am horrified by the tragic circumstances of my mother's death, and so sad to learn that she died as she chose to live--alone and isolated. My mother shut all her family out of her life over the years, though we made several futile attempts to stay connected. May God rest her soul."

She told her radio audience late Friday:

"I am shocked and horrified that she is a victim of a violent crime... I guess one of the reasons I am committed to sanctity of the family is because I was not fortunate to grow up in a close knit family myself... It was her choice to be estranged from her entire family... I do pray she is at peace... Hold your family very close, very tight and very dear, and don't sweat the petty stuff..."

Developing...

• herk
    herk

Pettygrudger,

I wouldn't take advise from any person that was so uncaring towards her own family that her own mother was found dead AFTER A MONTH by a neighbor due to odors! Yeah - this woman really understands family unity!

Guess she didn't read the bible scripture about honoring your mother & father.

Please note that Dr. Laura said: "It was her choice to be estranged from her entire family... I do pray she is at peace..."

I have a mother just like Dr. Laura's. There is no way I can get close to her. That was the way it was while I was a JW and it still is. She even kept it a secret from me for three years that my father had died. So what is a person to do to honour a mother like that? I'd love to be near my mother and honour her and do things for her, but there's no way she will accept that. Her disposition was the same before she became a JW and it got worse over the years. So, I think we need to be careful how we judge people. Judge me as one who has not honoured my mother if you wish, but no one can tell me I didn't try all my life. I've heard Dr. Laura go into this in detail, and I'd almost swear we had the same mother.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Goodness ((Herk)) - I'm so sorry to hear of your situation - how painful that must have been!!! I apologize if my post made you feel bad in any way. My own mother & my relationship is one that is seriously "estranged". But it sounds to me that you STILL know where your mother is, and whether or not she's alive (it sounds like you at least still make attempts - and that IS honoring your parent imho).

I have serious mis-givings on her explanation only because of her morally uprighteous attitude.....for someone of her stature (and $$$ backing) if you tell me that its possible she had absolutely no way to make sure her mother was comfortable and well (even without the woman's knowledge) , then I guess I'd have to cede the point - however it seems rather "out there" to me. I have been estranged for over 18 years from my mother (shunned since I was DF'd) - yet I find ways to make sure that's she's okay. I also think that due to her "social status" with her on-line persona, telling the truth might be a little difficult - no? so, I take her explanation with a grain of salt - and also think that perhaps there was a woman with a career & just might not have had the time nor inclination to either #1 - have someone look into or #2 - check in herself to see how the woman was doing.

Sure, sometimes our relationship with our parents is one that we just can't have - nor one that would be healthy for us. I know this from my own life's experience as well. But I still "keep tabs" - imho its "doing the right thing" - but I'm sorry if I touched a nerve with you.

• herk
    herk

Pettygrudger,

Thanks. But with all due respect, after reading your story I'm of the opinion that you have no idea how different your situation is with your mother compared to mine. I've heard and read Dr. Laura's account about her mother. It's easy to criticize and condemn until you've walked in the same shoes. There's nothing wrong in being rich, by the way. But even rich people are helpless when trying to do something nice for people who just won't accept it.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I didn't say that she had to force her services down this womans throat.

And, I'm not sure, and perhaps you know better than I, why I never heard Dr. Laura speak of this relationship she had with her own mother until AFTER the news of her mother's death? You would think with such an awful experience to draw from, she might have been able to "share" her experience with many of her listeners that called in with questions regarding their relationship w/their parents. Did you read this account of hers before or after the death? Makes a big difference imho - and I honestly don't know as I'm obviously not that big of a fan.

• herk
    herk

Pettygrudger,

Thanks. I've been a fan of Dr. Laura for almost ten years, so I've heard the story about her family many times. I happen to like her and think she makes a lot of sense. I'd be proud to have her and her family as next door neighbours. Yes, I know there are people who hate her guts. That's only natural since she's out there expressing her views for all the world to hear. You can't please everybody. I wouldn't defend every point she makes just as I wouldn't expect everybody to accept every thought I have on any given subject. But I think it would be a sadder world if most people completely accepted the philosophy of those who can't stand her. Honestly, it's beyond me why they have to spew out so much venom when her name comes up. Some come close to calling her another Hitler, which is insane. In most countries we're free to either listen or turn the dial and listen to something else. I've heard a few call her a snob, but I think the real snobs are those who can't stand to hear and want to completely ban any point of view that differs from their own.

• Yizuman
    Yizuman
    I've heard a few call her a snob, but I think the real snobs are those who can't stand to hear and want to completely ban any point of view that differs from their own.

That's why they're called liberals.

Yizuman

• Bibbitybobbityboo
    Bibbitybobbityboo

While I don't agree with everything Dr. Laura dishes, I do have to acknowledge that she usually hits the nail on the head when talking about the stupid things men & women do to mess up their lives. Speaking for women, I've seen so many of my friends make incredibly stupid life decisions based on 'feelings' instead of common sense. They've paid the price for years afterwards too. (So have their children) They would have benefited from a little no-nonsense advice, Dr. Laura style. Sometime just doing what 'feels right' is a recipe for disaster. If she can make a few people stop and think before plunging head on into personal disaster, then good for her.

I also appreciate her unwavering stand for the safety and well-being of children.

JMHO

Gina

• dedalus
    dedalus
    But in my view, a person deserves a lot of credit for taking a stand for something, whether I agree with him or her or not.

Gee, and Yizuman accused me of moral relativism! (Although I don't think Yiz knows it was moral relativism he was accusing me of -- it's easier for him to ignore my questions and make clever jokes about liberals.)

Call it entertainment, but entertainment has its place in educating the masses, for good or for bad.

Probably the saddest comment in this thread, at least when I think of the role of entertainment versus the role of art, literature, and philosophy in the sort of life I consider ideal.

I find it pretty difficult to see how the common sense message she offers can be harmful.

How about, for example (since neither you nor anyone else will provide specific examples of her outstandingly profound moral insight), her "common sense" message that homosexuals are "deviant biological errors?" Not harmful? On what transcendent moral principle is this "message" based?

Dedalus

• dedalus
    dedalus
    Dr. Laura does little more than offer vapid platitudes and banal advice designed for the masses in plebeian fashion. Anyone who needs to be spoon fed her brand of shmaltz really needs to get out a little bit more. Try listening to NPR once in a while.

Hey, Aztec, I think I love you! In fact, I find your picture so aesthetically appealing, and your rhetoric so alluring and in sync with my own -- hey, I think I should leave my wife and trot on over to wherever you are, sqandering my daughter's college savings on an exotic cruise for the two of us! No, wait -- WAIT -- I hear the voice of Dr. Laura, echoing in the vacant corridors of my mind -- oh yeah, right, that would be selfish of me, cruel to my wife, harmful to my child! Whew, thank the Hebrew Yahweh the good doctor dispensed her profound moral advice, just in time -- we liberal atheists have no moral compass, you know!

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit