Dr. Laura

by AuntieJane 151 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec
    I've heard a few call her a snob, but I think the real snobs are those who can't stand to hear and want to completely ban any point of view that differs from their own.
    That's why they're called liberals.

Do we really have to start liberal bashing Yiz? I don't think she is a snob. I think she is a moral elitist who thinks her way is the only way.

~Aztec

• Aztec
    Aztec
    No, wait -- WAIT -- I hear the voice of Dr. Laura, echoing in the vacant corridors of my mind -- oh yeah, right, that would be selfish of me, cruel to my wife, harmful to my child! Whew, thank the Hebrew Yahweh the good doctor dispensed her profound moral advice, just in time -- we liberal atheists have no moral compass, you know!

ROFL!

~Aztec

• teenyuck
    teenyuck
    Subject: Disfellowship As A Jehovah Witness
    Date: 2003-05-29

Disfellowship As A Jehovah Witness

Dr. Laura,

I’m concerned about a call I just heard on your show and felt compelled to share some correct information with you. You said “I just like to have all my blanks filled in.”

I enjoy your show. You stand for MORALS. So do I. I trust you would not want your program to be used to disseminate mis-information that very wrongly characterizes a religious group. A caller you had claiming to be one of Jehovah’s Witnesses, if she is, is very misinformed (and as a result, so now are thousands of your listeners.)

I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses (baptized in ’71) and I can assure you we do not disfellowship persons for simply ceasing attendance or becoming disinterested. Never happens. The caller was responding emotionally, understandably, it’s her parents.

Disfellowshipping occurs because of lack of repentance (refusal to accept counsel, and correct bad ways) following a serious moral infraction such as adultery or fornication something you yourself do not condone.

It’s comparable to the “tough love” concept we’ve heard about. When a family member refuses help to change seriously wrong and damaging ways, that family member may be asked to leave for two reasons (1) to possibly shake them to their senses and (2) to protect other family members from unwholesome influence.

This is very brief for expediency right now.

Timothy

Dr Laura is an idiot.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Dr. Laura? Personally, I despise the cow.

Bradley

• Valis
    Valis

Dr. Laura is a waste of human flesh indeed...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• herk
    herk
    Honestly, it's beyond me why they have to spew out so much venom when her name comes up.

Yup!

• logansrun
    logansrun

Herk,

Honestly, it's beyond me why they have to spew out so much venom when her name comes up.

Some people say the exact same thing about "apostates" who write "venom" about the Watchtower. I've only listened to Dr. Laura a couple times and, just like the WT, she is a heavy-handed moralist who espouses fundamentalistic psychology. She is an ultra-conservative who prides herself in her world of archaic beliefs (she REFUSED to discuss the question of whether God exists with Michael Shermer, president of Skeptic magazine. See his book "How We Believe" for the ridiculous conversation he had with her). She is extrememly dogmatic and, at times, condescending. Gee, I wonder why people would have such harsh words about her?

Bradley

• herk
    herk
    She is an ultra-conservative who prides herself in her world of archaic beliefs

So? It seems to me that the only time liberals aren't ashamed to admit what they are is when they're on the attack. If there's somebody they don't like, they let be know that the person resembles Hitler or the WT. And yet they'd like to have everybody think of them as real deep thinkers. Shhuusshh! It isn't surprising to me that they don't have enough intelligence and common sense to switch to another station and would rather allow themselves to get all riled up over nothing.

• dedalus
    dedalus
    If there's somebody they don't like, they let be know that the person resembles Hitler

I didn't say she resembled Hitler, didn't even insinuate that she resembled Hitler, and you're really dense not to realize that, Herk. I was demonstrating the inherent fallacy of your ad populum argument. I explicitly stated that I wasn't comparing Dr. Laura with Hitler, which someone pointed out, but you still don't hear it.

I don't think Dr. Laura is a cow or a waste of human flesh -- I admit I called her a "wraith," but I was thinking of that look she gets when she's in the throes of one of her diatribes, cords sticking out of her skinny neck, eyes bulging, hair moving in one giant mass with each grave nod of her head.

But ad hominems prove just as little as ad populums, and in the bulk of what I've written on this thread I've been pretty specific and detailed about what I dislike in her and what she does. I've invited you to be specific in return, to provide a single example of Dr. Laura's wonderful, amazing, profound moral insight. You've yet to do that, perhaps because it's much easier to foam at the mouth about liberals, whatever that has to do with anything.

This thread can be a frank and passionate exchange of opposing views, or it can disintigrate into whiny, self-righteous liberal-bashing.

Dedalus

• dedalus
    dedalus
    It isn't surprising to me that they don't have enough intelligence and common sense to switch to another station and would rather allow themselves to get all riled up over nothing.

FYI (not that you're owed this explanation) I work at a television station that aired Dr. Laura's television talk-show several years ago. As a master-control operator I was more or less obligated to watch her shows. I haven't "tuned in" since the station stopped running the show.

Never mind, of course, that this is not a thread only for fans of Dr. Laura.

Anyway, is it okay with you now if I continue to express my opinion on this DISCUSSION BOARD?

Dedalus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit