Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Possible positive news - Italy has had two days of reducing death counts. It may show how the trajectory can be changed by locking things down:

• LV101
    LV101

Simon - I apologize just slammed down or something on the 'Like' button and ended up with 2. Someone has the TVs so loud I'm jumping out of my hide here/lol.

Italy - oh, I hope so/great news thanks for the info.

• Simon
    Simon
    I apologize just slammed down or something on the 'Like' button and ended up with 2

It only appears as 2 locally, only 1 will ever be counter.

Italy - oh, I hope so/great news thanks for the info.

Turns out it was just statistical noise and not a trend as they just had another rise.

Interesting article in the NY Times about the messaging around masks and how it was bad to lie because it erodes trust. Especially when it was so obvious they were lying, because it was contradictory: "masks don't help you and masks are essential for our protection"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/opinion/coronavirus-face-masks.html

• Simon
    Simon

Lots of bad news today, the virus is rampant in NYC ("surprise") and elsewhere. Deaths reported of under-18 year-old too. Expect most health systems to be overwhelmed quickly.

But at least the virus isn't mutating quickly so it's likely that any vaccine could offer lasting protection.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-coronavirus-isnt-mutating-quickly-suggesting-a-vaccine-would-offer-lasting-protection/2020/03/24/406522d6-6dfd-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html

• LV101
    LV101

I couldn't believe the noise and negatives about wearing masks.

Poor Italy - that is depressing. Are they making use of the drugs that have been successful - doesn't make sense since the hydroxychloraquin is cheap and has been available around the world for decades. Z Pack has been out for many yrs. now and they obviously must know about Remdiviser although it could be in short supply if it's being hoarded - hopefully that's not true. What's the problem?

Appreciate the updates.

• Simon
    Simon

Apparently Czechoslovakia has had few cases and had a campaign of 100% mask wearing, with volunteers creating home-made sewed masks that they donated or made available (just left on pole for people to take).

Masks work.

Unfortunately, the US did have stockpiles of masks but after the swine flu outbreak (2009?) the stockpiles were depleted and despite reports suggesting they needed to be replenished, Obama decided it wasn't something to spend money on.

So you don't have masks, but remember, "hope".

• compound complex
    compound complex

“I’d love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter,” President Trump said. Easter is April 12, just over two and a half weeks away. The holiday would be a “beautiful time” to have “packed churches,” Trump later said. He also repeatedly downplayed the threat of the novel coronavirus by comparing it to seasonal flu.

The advice from doctors and public health experts on the topic of social distancing is by no means mixed: In an increasingly desperate chorus, they have prevailed upon the American public to stay home to slow the spread of the disease. On Tuesday, the the American Hospital Assn., American Medical Assn. and American Nurses Assn. issued a joint open letter — quite literally addressed to “the American public” — begging people to stay home to give “everyone on the front lines a fighting chance at having the equipment, time and resources necessary to take on this immense challenge.”

-- Los Angeles Times, Essential California, 25 March 2020

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Obama decided it wasn't something to spend money on.

Simon, Simon, Simon .......

I thought we were keeping politics out of this. The Orange Man has had over 3 years to buy whatever number of masks he wanted. Whatever number of respirators he wanted. Whatever number of whatever he wanted.

Hindsight is 20/20 .... just as in the case of 9/11, it happened under Bush's watch, but is he more to blame than Clinton? I wouldn't blame either one. Yes, looking back, we can opine that this could have, should have, may have, might have had, blah blah blah. As the expression goes, shit happens.

Rub a Dub

• Simon
    Simon

There are events that can't be foreseen, such as terrorist attacks, despite us doing what we can to prevent them by creating general anti-terrorism capabilities.

But things like basic inventory of emergency supplies - that's easily managed and it's easier to manage and make plans in the aftermath of the emergency that used them than it is years later when time has passed.

The simple fact is that the Obama administration used up the emergency supplies but then left the cupboard bare, despite being warned that they needed to be replenished.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The 10th Amendment gives governors clear power to protect the health and safety of their residents, no matter the consequence to the economy, and some governors are already expressing skepticism that it would be possible to go back to normal by Easter. -- The Washington Post, 25 March 2020

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit