Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

All schools in my Northern California school district closed till further notice; distance learning has been implemented.

Unprecedented . . .

• caves
    caves

Statewide closures of all schools, public and private in Washington state. In addition to all the other closures. People were panicking before this announcement today from Gov Inslee. Now some hysteria is setting in. This will affect millions in Washington state alone. If they thought there was a homeless problem before am afraid this is looking catastrophic.

Also across the US, several more states are doing this.

The up side. Trying to stay somewhat positive. All those hobbies and things you never have time for , now would be a good time to do those things. If at all possible I'm going to try to view this as a much overdue vacation.

Could be a good time to plant a garden, read, draw, play board games, research a topic you always wanted ect...

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Caves,

As much as I would like some free time to do that I dont think that's going to happen with me since I work in a hospital lol.

• caves
    caves

Littlerockguy- I'm sorry to hear that. Meaning, it seems like it would be hard to work in a hospital right now.

How is it in the hospital environment right now in your area?

For me and millions of others it will be a forced thing.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Caves,

Like I mentioned on another thread there have been a large of influx of flu in the area where I live and some surrounding schools have canceled classes briefly earlier this year because of it. Last month a woman in the who just turned 61 caught the flu and died from it and she didnt have any underlying health issues and was relatively healthy.

Even before the first confirmed case of covid-19 was made here in Arkansas we have been screening people coming into the hospital by taking their temperature and having them answer some questions, limiting visiting hours and not allowing visitors under 15.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I work at a hospital (IT leadership). We are anticipating cases to peak in ~2 weeks with mass panic setting in our community soon. We're locking down the place as of this weekend, we got officially 1 case, but more cases have been confirmed but aren't yet published. Our hospital system has sufficient supplies for ~3 months.

All nearby Universities are going online, school systems cancelled all events but guidance from the State is to continue public schools but prepare packets of work. They want to perform closures and extend schools past June, but there are regulations (bureaucracy) that require them to be open, the state has to change the law.

DHS is warning that China may reduce or block shipments of medical supplies (which is pretty much everything) in the near future and they are trying to spin up American production facilities which will take months. Supply lines are already interrupted, Dell-EMC, HP, Lenovo are heavily affected for spare parts, Dell (consumer line) not yet although there is a backorder for thousands of laptops.

I was aware of the rush to supplies this week, so we went shopping for 2 months of supplies 2 weeks ago, stocked an extra freezer with half a cow worth of meat and frozen veggies. Store shelves here have been empty this week, not even cans of soup.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This documentary reveals how the virus probably started and may have started originally in the open public market in Wuhan China.

China and other countries need to shut down all wet markets like this and create strong laws against this kind of sale of animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nZ4mw4mXw

• Simon
    Simon
    My son has a school trip to a maths department at a British university. He is really really looking forward to it. Should I let him go?

I wouldn't be going on any trips right now, it's just going to increase the likelihood of exposure and risk of getting it and passing it on. Despite people's claims that there is no risk to younger people, this is untrue - there is a lower risk than for older people and, of course, it increases the risk that you give it to someone who isn't younger.

What is the benefit of going vs the risk? A tour of a university? They may not be a thing after this as people decide that "yeah, maybe online learning does give you a better education and costs 1,000x less".

• Simon
    Simon

Great visualization of how herd-immunity works to slow or prevent the spread of a virus or disease.

Right now, we have no natural herd immunity, which is why it spreads so quickly unless we close things down.

What we need to do to limit the death count and lessen the long-term impacts is to slow the spread so the herd-immunity can build up to slow it further, like letting the cap off a pressurized bottle slowly so you're not wearing all the cola inside. Hopefully, we'll be able to artificially increase the immunity at some point using vaccines but they could be 18 months away and a virus like this will likely reduce in the summer months but could roar back in the fall.

https://twitter.com/RARohde/status/1179323361274580992

• Simon
    Simon

Another site for tracking the virus, specifically in North America (US & Canada)

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit