Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• Sad-u-see
    Sad-u-see

Whoever survives must promise to kill the politicians who allowed it to happen - favouring virtue-signalling over care for people's lives.

Even though I agree with this, isn't this a cheap political shot? I like consistency whether its a point i agree with or not.

• LV101
    LV101

I'm not finger pointing, however, at many nursing home/assisted facilities, etc., there are many medical/private physical therapy cos/staff (PTs, DOs, NPs, MDs, etc.) who are Asians coming/going. Many Chinese travel back and forth. They all weren't wearing masks prior to this outbreak. Our famous mall has customers traveling regularly to and fro China. A couple retailers have been quite nervous for many weeks and personnel spend most of their time sanitizing counters, registers - everything in site. It's unimaginable the bacteria on sample products sitting out on counters for customers - no guarantee every single item is cleaned/bacteria removed.

Many Chinese wear masks (even walking/strolling) and I'm sure take every precaution necessary but not all before this outbreak. From what I hear most shopping is electronically/phone these days - stores have been empty for mos but different dynamics for those in the medical field who have to show up after return visits.

I heard Viet Nam has/had no travel restrictions.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

At 3pm today President Trump will declare a national emergency due to the coronavirus. How things have changed. In our little town churches are closing indifently. Schools are looking into closing and our home and garden show which we are part of has been canceled. That hurts our pocket book. Try to find toilet paper at the stores! It's the dumbest things I've ever seen. Also got instruction from our doctor portal on what to do if you have flu like symptoms or other illnesses. Things seem to be ramping up. Still Totally ADD

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

Closing meeting or gathering places is not panic just good procedure to stop unneeded spread. In a couple of months this thing will be seen as the biggest over blown fraud. It may even have a back lash when the next one hits people will say ya remember the BS of the Corona virus and not be vigilant

• Simon
    Simon
    In Ontario a doctor who lives in Toronto but works in Hamilton Cancer Clinic just came back from Austria and went to work the next day. Ontario was at thirty-six and now has jumped to over four hundred fifty suspected cases. I hope for all those cancer patients on chemo they don't get it.

How utterly irresponsible. This is why telling people to self-quarantine doesn't work - people are selfish and dumb. They'll probably be responsible for killing many of those people.

All publicly funded schools in Ontario will be closed for three weeks now. That will be hard for nurses, doctors ect who have to be at work yet who looks after their kids? This will be hard on everyone every which way possible

Yeah, almost like societies that push the idea that you should work to pay someone else to look after your kids as being "a good thing" really have it all wrong.

Lots of things should be re-evaluated after this.

• Simon
    Simon

Really great thread that helps explain why the mortality rate so far can be different between countries. Comes down to how much interaction and co-habiting there is between different age groups. Italy has an older population and more social links between children / older parents. Other countries have less, with families more dispersed.

https://twitter.com/kuhnmo/status/1238421146837684224

But this is initial spread - many countries may just take longer to get to the same or similar results, but could avoid it through social distancing and people taking precautions. if we can build up communal immunity slowly, we give older people greater chance of surviving as the people that need the most intensive care have more chance that it's available when they do.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

The majority of people who get this virus will have a very minor condition.

I repeat, for those with no underlying health problems, this is a very minor illness.

Funny how this message gets shouted down.

They are direct quotes form Brendan Murphy, Australia’s chief medical officer.

The danger from over panic is also very real.

I’m around special needs children regularly, save the bullshit lectures about irresponsible attitudes, just thought I’d pass on the message from Dr Murphy.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Funny how this message gets shouted down.

i guess you don’t have anyone in the risk bracket that you love or care about.

Some of us do, so STFU and if you might have been exposed or have flu-like symptoms, stay home for 2 weeks for the safety of your neighbors

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just a heads up they haven’t announced it yet but British schools will be closing this Friday and staying closed until a week after Easter.

They are worried working parents will be dumping school kids on vulnerable older relatives 😭

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

My son has a school trip to a maths department at a British university. He is really really looking forward to it. Should I let him go?

We haven’t any hand gel though I’ve been trying to obtain it for 3 weeks. I’ve bought some over priced 70% rubbing alcohol though.

edit it’s on Monday. I have emphysema btw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit