If You Criticize A Person of Color Are You A Racist?

by minimus 144 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    So ALL I did was swap out one name for another, changed Obama to Trump and you say "that's not" fair game, just swapping out one name for another. But other folks, regardless of whom they like or don't like can state their reasons and it's fine they go on for paragraphs for their reasons why they do and don't like certain candidates or political figures, but ALL I did is swap out one name for another and that's not fair game.

No, it isn't. It's not how it works. You don't get to claim "Trump said this racist thing" if he didn't, but we do get to say "Obama said this thing" if he did.

Just swapping names doesn't work, you really think it does? Are you really that simple? You can't have Trump giving Hitlers Nuremberg speech however much you might want it to be true.

It doesn't seem like you are capable of taking part in these kind of discussions in any sensible way but that doesn't mean you have the right to disrupt them. It's an old trick - you don't want people voicing opinions you disagree with but you don't have an argument against them so you post nonsense.

Sorry, that ends now.

• LV101
    LV101

The ole race card trick will be flyin' high day after day - the Democratic party is desperate and they play that hand consistently -- their party blindly follows along. Obama was a dismal failure for all races -- maybe why he lost so much of his base and was reelected by a miracle.

Everyone on here gets slammed re/their views, opinions, posts, whatever -- get over it. That's the beauty of a board like this -- we have the opportunity to learn so much from others - or not. I certainly do and was reading few posts I missed on the resurrected topic about Bernie -- interesting viewpoints and I understand why so many were following him. This is absurd it's down to you don't like me cuz I've more yellow or pink in my skin - really!! People living on the streets with rats/diseases/dying in this country and that's what you're concerned about.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The problem is many of those complaining about political correctness are in fact racist or harbor some other harmful ideology - how do you know this without linking data or poll responses to back it up?

Are you a freaking mind-reader?

And what about persons of colour who complain about political correctness? (don't fool yourself, there are people of colour out there who complain about PC culture.)

Y'see, this is a big part of the problem. People like Peaceful Pete here can call others racist, and that's it - there's no apparent need to back up these claims?!

Calling racism is the modern equivalent of a witch hunt.

And this goes against Western principles of justice. Innocent until proven guilty.

• minimus
    minimus

You’re not going to have problems on this board when you stick with facts. You will be called out ... on any subject....if you hurl insults or innuendo without proper verification. You cant make up bologna and expect it to go unchallenged here. Either put up or shut up.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

A couple of gay friends whom I've known for over 20 years tell me that most of their problems arise, not from being abused by straight people but by extreme left-wingers of varying sexualities jumping on the gay bandwagon as a means of protesting about everything and anything. They're people who are only interested in furthering their own anti establishment agendas and, according to the gay couple, aren't doing them any favours at all.

• barry
    barry

The accusation of racism is a very lazy term used to shut up an opponent and give a sense of virtue to the accuser. After all who would want to be a racist and the accusation is usually against a caucasian.

The term Caucasian is originally from a group of mountains in the caucasus but has come to mean a race of people with white skin. In the US v Bhagat Sing Thind 1923 the supreme court argued that although asians indians were technically caucasian they could not be US citizens because they were't white. That decision was reversed in 1946.

Many coloured people don't realise they may be Caucasian such as Indians even though they are very black also Arabs Lebanese, northern African peoples mediteranian peoples such as Greeks, Italians, Syrians are all Caucasian.

I don't know if you are racist if you criticise your own race but the coloured people should check first or they may look foolish.

• minimus
    minimus

If the racism term doesn’t work, my prediction is the perverted news media and their cohorts will start calling people pedophiles. Any horrible label they can attach to someone they disagree with , they will do! Nazi is another one they like.

• out4good4
    out4good4
    Minimus's posts in just the last 2 days on a couple threads here have stunk of racism.

Well.....uhhnnnnnn

These type of posts, certainly rhetorical in their initial delivery, are most always cover for the introduction of just another pro-trump circle jerk thread.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

loveunihateexams...in Bold

""The problem is many of those complaining about political correctness are in fact racist or harbor some other harmful ideology" - how do you know this without linking data or poll responses to back it up?""

Are you saying none (or few) of those complaining about political correctness are racist? The denial of racism even as strategy to overcome it doesn't work. There is a minority of people today who are racist, is that not so? Or do I need to offer poll stats to support that statement? It is also quite reasonable to say that those who are racist would and do complain about political correctness. Giving a little more thought about the sensitivities of others is not a big deal for most people. I run a business and have to appeal to people of all stripes, this means not giving offense by pushing buttons insisting I can use antiquated expressions or wording. Assuming you are with me so far, ...It follows that then when a person who has experienced racial prejudice hears passionate complaints about having to be racially sensitive, they will conclude that person may be racist. True or not, it is human nature.

"People like Peaceful Pete here can call others racist, and that's it - there's no apparent need to back up these claims?!"

Who have I called racist? I have let a couple posters know that IMO they have to measure their words better for fear being interpreted as racist but that's quite different. Like Barry just referring to "coloured people". See: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/30999175/warning-why-using-the-term-coloured-is-offensive

Its not some form of oppression, its a growing opportunity to become more alert to the feelings of others.

Barry: Calling racism is the modern equivalent of a witch hunt.

And this goes against Western principles of justice. Innocent until proven guilty

Of course the powerful nature of the charge will be abused by some, why would that surprise you?

Ironically, someone who is chaffing at being wrongly accused of racism has some small taste of what racism feels like. The assumption of low character without basis. Consider that when you choose your words.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Are you saying none (or few) of those complaining about political correctness are racist? - nope. You 're the one making a claim without evidence (see below).

There is a minority of people today who are racist, is that not so? - but you call many people who complain about PC 'racist'. Sorry, you don't get to do that without providing some kind of evidence in support (opinion polls or other data).

And why are you trying to lump ordinary people together with the minority of racists?

Who have I called racist? - in your own words: The problem is many of those complaining about political correctness are in fact racist or harbor some other harmful ideology - you have no data to back this claim up. Therefore, you'd do well to retract this assertion.

Ironically, someone who is chaffing at being wrongly accused of racism has some small taste of what racism feels like - but why should those who are wrongly accused of racism suffer for what actual racists say and do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit