If You Criticize A Person of Color Are You A Racist?

by minimus 144 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Seriously, it’s getting to a point that you can’t make a negative comment about someone without being charged as a racist, homophobe or sexist!

If you criticize a female, you are obviously sexist. If you criticize someone who happens to be gay, you must hate homosexuals. If you say something negative to a person of color, you are racist.

It is getting so ridiculous!

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

And it's a mess in the workplace as people have learned to use these accusations when criticized.

• tiki
    tiki

It is...there is way too much attention given to who is offended by what. There are good people of all color skins...ethnicities, etc....there are rotten characters of any color or race or creed or whatever. Blanket statements...throwing an entire group or nationality into a negaive bucket is uncalled for....but assuming a whole group is rotten because of a few totally wrong. And if you consider a white criminal offensive it doesn't mean you are against the Caucasians anymore than a bad black apple means you are " racist" if you call it.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Seriously, this PC crap don't work on me.

If I want to praise a person of colour, I will.

If I want to criticise a PoC, I will.

If I want to criticise or praise a white person, I will.

Ditto queers.

Ditto Lezzer-bians.

Ditto trannies.

Individual identity is more important than group identity.

We are all individuals first, and then we're the boxes we tick on job application forms.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Seriously, it’s getting to a point that you can’t make a negative comment about someone without being charged as a racist, homophobic or sexist!

Like it or not you asked and answered your own question. You have described yourself as a racist, homophobic or sexist. Why? There is free speech somewhere in your statement but then again there are fighting words.

Lets put this on another level. A kid with no legs slides down the stairs on his butt and someone points to him and calls him a Crip. It's as if the kid should have grown some legs. Or the child is not 'normal'.

A person who stutters is called an idiot. But that person is not an idiot.

An overweight person is called a fatso.

When we put a label on a person we are signifying that there is no other aspect that we need to know about that person.

Like me you can be labeled an old fart. Or senile when we forget stuff. Even though we have decades of information.

Putting a label on a person just shows you how a bigot thinks because they aren't thinking.

• stillin
    stillin

There was an incident in the news this last week about a white restaurant patron that got fed up with the loud, obnoxious behavior of two black women patrons. It escalated and she told them that they were acting like n*ggers.

We can think these things but we had better not say them

• minimus
    minimus

Label equals male female black white ... I have no issue with making such labels.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

IMPO, it depends upon the type of criticism. The definition below can be taken in 2 forms:

crit·i·cism

/ˈkridəˌsizəm/

noun

If this word falls under the second meaning, i.e., in the case of a supervisor (any race) to an employer (any race), it would not be considered racist. The supervisor is critiquing the work or work ethic of the employee. This critiquing, if the supervisor is a concerned individual, would be helpful to the employee so that he or she can make the necessary improvements in their assignment(s).

If this word falls under the first meaning and the criticism sounds like words "45" and his hateful/hate-filled supporters would express and have expressed, singling out one or a number of demographics of people, then it is racist (definition: a person with a prejudiced/discriminatory belief that his/her race is superior/better than other races).

The rhetoric that is spewed out nowadays is anti-black, anti-Latinx, anti-Jew, anti-Muslim, etc. , and is causing dissension amongst various people, to the degree that innocent people being harassed in the street while minding their own business plus taking care of their normal everyday activities (i.e., going to work, going to school, taking care of family, travelling to buy a meal, etc.).

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

We are dealing with Generation X ie ones who are overly sensitive to take offence at anything (racial. color. queers. lgbtq.sexist the lot). Google it .

I believe criticism is good ( not unnecessarily though),it can be making one a better person depends how one wants to take it. I always take it with a pinch of salt n pepper! Goes down well.

All these things are just dividing, subdividing, and sub-subdeividing us from each other and harms society.

I believe we are one- humans.We come in all shapes, sizes, colors, likes , dislikes which is what makes us unique. Learnign to live with each other n tolerance is the key.

Zing

• ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara
    ZindagiNaMilegiDobaara

People have become so sensitive that any negative comment makes them have a nervous breakdown. I am concerned to think about where the world is headed!

Zing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit