What is the most bizarre counsel you received as a JW, from a JW?

by Funchback 180 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• apostrate
    apostrate

I guess that I am a homosexual and didn't know it because I have been wearing white socks, exclusively, for the past thirty years!

Back in the 70's I had a severe problem with ingrown toenails. The dye from colored socks would get into the edges of my toenails and complicate the problem even more. So, since then I only wear white socks. I knew it was turning me into Cliff Clavin, but I never realized that it made me gay!

Now, in one of the congregations that I attended there was this one very old, feeble "sister" who must have been at least 90 years old. At one of the service meetings one night, the "brother" gave a talk all about the evils of "sisters" wearing slit skirts and the detrimental effects it could have on our young "brothers".

After the meeting, a group of us were talking about how spiritually uplifting the meeting was, and this elderly "sister" spoke up and said (in her typically feeble 90 year old voice), "I guess I'm gonna have to watch what kind of clothes I'm wearing, I don't wanna do anything to cause trouble in the congregation."

We all had to turn and look away, and try to hide the tears rolling down our faces from the laughter we were trying so hard to contain!!

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

These are all fantastic! Likes all around to you fine people. The following are first hand real (as in I was involved)

1) An anointed sister counseled me to break up with my black girlfriend because we would detract from the message when speaking to racists. When I told her that was silly, she raised her voice at me in service, and told me to "read between the lines". I clammed up, but she was pretty well respected in the hall. Nuts.

2) No Nestle quick.......it had blood products from animals.

3) You can't break up with a woman after you are engaged and still remain in good standing. Something about your yes meaning yes......incredibly silly.

4) My Favorite. 2 elders come to me to tell me that someone heard something I said that may have stumbled some people. I pressed them for a name. They didn't want to give it to me. I insisted or else the conversation was over. I then asked why this person (an MS from another hall), was not encouraged to come to me directly in the spirit of Matthew 18. they were quiet. I told them that they needed to go back, and follow the scriptural arrangement, and that they should know better as elders. 2 weeks pass.......2 more elders come and say, "so you were counseling the brothers and we are concerned about your attitude".......seriously.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    Not on par with all your stories but I would sometimes go to the hall in my old lifted 4X4 Toyota pick-up on 33 in Mud Terrains that would stick out a few inches and looked pretty agro. Anyhow a brother said I should sell it. Another one told me it looked like a dune buggy.. hehe
  • DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

I've had 2 coworkers (elders) on 2 different occasions express their grievances about 2 specific inter-racial couples.

both elders sighed and said, "it just doesn't look good."

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

One crazy "on the fringe" family wouldn't allow their kids to watch any cartoons in which animals talked. Obviously, not a mainstream ideology, but they were just... weird. They also beat their kids mercilessly, always had a filthy house and the dad never progressed beyond a publisher (he gave nothing more than talk #2 the entire 20 years I knew them). Needless to say, not ONE kid remained in the bOrg. On one hand, they had crazy strict rules like that, but at the same time, they allowed their kids to go to school dances, play soccer and one was in a go-cart racing league that travelled the country (and many meetings were missed). This is the same family that put up christmas lights outside AND inside their house and excused it because they left them on all year and, "they're just lights!"

talk about sending mixed signals.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

1) An anointed sister counseled me to break up with my black girlfriend because we would detract from the message when speaking to racists. When I told her that was silly, she raised her voice at me in service, and told me to "read between the lines". I clammed up, but she was pretty well respected in the hall. Nuts.

2) No Nestle quick.......it had blood products from animals.

There was no racism in any of the congregations I attended that I was aware of. I do remember one black elder who was a big time weirdo it was painful to listen to one of his talks how he pronounced things LOL. I used to feel sorry for his normal wife and children who used to sit in silence as he spewed out his stupidity.

I remember hearing about the Nestle quick blood thing too. LOL.

• apostrate
    apostrate

My mother became a JDub in 1965 in North Hollywood, CA. In 1968 we moved back to Dallas, TX. In California, the congregations were integrated, blacks and whites met together at the Kingdum Halls.

In Dallas, TX, in 1968, the congregations were segregated. The blacks had their own Kingdum Halls. My dad was never a JDub, but he would go to a meeting occasionally to placate my mom.

Once, while attending a meeting, my dad just came right out and asked a "brother" why they were segregated when they taught racial unity.

"Well, we have to think of how it looks to outsiders". That was the answer that this "brother" gave.

My older, real life, brother, summed it up best when he told my mom and dad, "What a bunch of hypocrites. You guys need to find yourself another religion!"

• Sabin
    Sabin

I have to say this particular sister is a bit simple so it`s not entirely her fault but it was funny.

I was standing in a circle of mature sisters & one of them asked if this beautiful young sister had, had her eyebrow`s waxed & how lovely she looked. I piped up " you could put her in a sack & she would still look good, she`s so beautiful,"

The simple sister said " yeah but after she`s had a couple of kid`s she`s gonna look just like her mother," who just happened to be a bit weighty the other sisters just stood dumb founded while I cracked up cause I thought it was so funny.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    One that comes to mind for me is when some would not eat holiday candies, chocolates foods etc. Once again the Watchtower being wishy washy on the subject where two dubs would read the same article and get two different meanings. This led to infighting amongst the rank and file dubs. The elders fall back line is always, well if it should make someone stumble then maybe you should do it.
  • apostrate
    apostrate

William P,

that makes me think of something that happened once, although I wasn't actually there to see it. Quite funny though, at least I thought it was.

I once worked in a mailroom for a large company. The mailroom was staffed with all JW's. Sometime after I had quit, I heard that one of the "worldly" women who worked at the company brought some homemade Christmas cookies down to the boys in the mailroom

Well, the manager (a JW) refused to eat any of them. But one of the other workers there (also a JW) would take a knife and scrape the Christmas icing off of the cookies and then eat them (I guess that made them less pagan).

This, of course, infuriated the manager. So, there was friction between the "brothers" in the mailroom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit