What is the most bizarre counsel you received as a JW, from a JW?

by Funchback 180 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• just fine
    just fine

One of the older single sisters once complained to the elders that I was too thin and obviously anorexic. So they talked to my father (also an elder). He laughed and she eats everything in sight. This same sister cornered me in the bathroom at the hall about my "issue". I got mad and told her "I am 5'8" and weigh 135lbs, what do you want me to do, get fat?" She said I was a liar, so I had to go in the apartment in the hall that had a scale and get on it to settle it once and for all. ...........30 years later I wish I was still 135lbs, maybe I should send her an update. :-)

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

For me it was that I (a 10 yr old only child) should have absolutely no friends, this being preferable to having one pretty decent worldly kid as my friend, I suppose (sarcasm) that his basic joy in life could rub off on me :0)

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Not personal counsel, but from the stage from our CO at the time, Bro. Wiegel (do any of you old timers remember that name?) he ever so gently suggested that the brothers shouldn't watch football because it's a violent sport. I'm sure after that Sunday talk in either the late 60's or early 70's another male servant of Jah ever viewed another football game.

Also I remember my mother telling me that a brother that gave a talk at the circuit assembly and this is going back more than ten years said that "we" as in Jehoober's faithful flock shouldn't watch "The Simpsons" because of Bart and how we had no respect for this father, yup I'm sure that went over well.

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

I remember the DO diatribe against the Simpsons,

What I also remember well is the Society's banning of friendly congregation ball games as being competative and therefore wrong (70s), A brother I knew, while this was being said, said out loud "These guys are out to lunch" He soon left the jws, I thought at the time how disrespectful etc, now I just laugh, he was right! :0)

• Rather Be the Hammer
    Rather Be the Hammer

An elder told us to 'train' our daughter to sit still at the meetings (at that time she was about 1,5 years old) by having her sit down for two hours in a chair, at home. If necessary tie her to the chair. He even had some bible verses to make it all sound okay.

Even my husband thought this was crazy advice. Too bad the elder was his brother.

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

Instead of giving condelance when my grandmother died, the elder asked me for my field service report.

G.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Wow that would be a long list.

How about a CO who said Start Trek wasn't for christians because they Distort into something ugly the human body. (funny he should have looked in a mirror:)

I guess Klingons made fun of gods wonderful creation.

But its not a cult I assure you:)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I dont know if I mentioned this but my old man (elder) told me not to talk about my holiday at the KH( 2 blissful weeks in Corfu returned brown as a berry) as it was upsetting to those who couldn't afford one

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

@ttdtt

Had to take down and throw out my Spock poster as it was worship

:(

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

@tepidpoultry

Yes I bow down to Captain Picard every night.
    When I have a poster, I just must worship it all the time.

Satan is so tricky.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit