Largest amount of refugees since WW2 in Europe

by Powermetal4ever 179 Replies latest jw friends

• Munster Abu
    Munster Abu

This is an Irish unicef ambassador and former Ireland and Munster (just signed for Worcester) rugby great Donnacha O'Callaghan giving is heartfelt plea for action.

Donnacha O'Callaghan Video

"You're putting your life on red and black"

• barry
    barry

I think that some people are confused about what is a refugee

Someone can be classified as a refugee for the following reasons.

1 Fleeing persecution for political reasons

2 Fleeing persecution because of sexual orientation

3 Fleeing persecution for political reasons

4 A person fleeing is qualified as a refugee by reporting to a refugee centre closest to the country he or she is fleeing. A refugee doesn't have the privilege to travel around the world to find the richest country to claim refugee status there. Asylum seekers have come to Australia from the middle east, India, Sri Lanker, Afganistan all for a better life by there own admission.

5 A person is not a refugee fleeing a war or poverty.

These terms are according to the UN charter

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@krejames - good speech, it really needs saying to Saudi Arabia.

Usually it comes down to protecting our own way of life - nothing wrong with this.

We're a selfish bunch aren't we? - the people smugglers are, yes.

• Munster Abu
    Munster Abu

UNHCR

"The 1951 Refugee Convention spells out that a refugee is someone who "owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to, or owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country."

I think you will find that those fleeing Syria and Eritrea are refugee's. Many of them having to leave because they are Christians for instance.

Migrants, especially economic migrants, choose to move in order to improve the future prospects of themselves and their families. Refugees have to move if they are to save their lives or preserve their freedom. They have no protection from their own state - indeed it is often their own government that is threatening to persecute them. If other countries do not let them in, and do not help them once they are in, then they may be condemning them to death - or to an intolerable life in the shadows, without sustenance and without rights.

and that my friend is what some European countries have been and are doing. Shame on them and shame on those of you who try to justify it with your comments which frankly to me come across as being racist.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm sure this paranoid way of thinking was prevalent before and during the Second World War. As whole nations tried to flee the Nazi onslaught. Were there Nazi spies included among the genuine refugees? Maybe. But thank god for a few individuals who had more humanity than most and helped smuggle people to safety

Unsound comparison. ISIS have promised to spread terror and, for every hundred 'refugees', to include one of their own. Did the Nazis promise to do that?

• mana11
    mana11
    The UN needs to eradicate Religion. oh darn it thats Armageddon.... lol
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

your comments which frankly to me come across as being racist

Ah yes, the R word. It has been bandied around and excessively misapplied for the last 15 years or so that its value has become greatly diminished.

Britain took in a record high of 600,000+ immigrants/refugees last year and still the R word crops up.

Change your tune ...

• mana11
    mana11

oh, of course they could always change their religion.

Of course we know they will not do so. They are running from Islam but still want it.

We are running from Jehovah's witnesses, we don't want it!. Make the change!.

Why are these countries not stepping up?. because Islam is DIVIDED - SUNNI AND SHIA WILL NEVER AGREE WITH EACH OTHER!. the west keep stepping in like fools to sort out a problem that is none of their business.
  • mana11
    mana11

Angelina Jolieā€¬ addresses the UN Security Council on Syria.

https://youtu.be/Pd2CdyOCvJc

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I read an interesting comment under a Guardian article. Here it is:

I suggest not a UK response, or even an EU response.
    The talk should be of a global response.
    It shouldn't be up to one country, or even a handful of countries.
    Quotas have been mentioned.
    Fair enough.
    So quotas should be applied by the UN to every safe country on earth, from New Zealand to Malaysia to Uganda to Brazil to Fiji.
    That way, the refugees will find safety.
    Without any one country buckling under the tide.

What do you think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit