Largest amount of refugees since WW2 in Europe

by Powermetal4ever 179 Replies latest jw friends

• Munster Abu
    Munster Abu
    I suspect that the majority of the UK population don't want to take more refugees/migrants. Still, why let democracy get in the way, eh?

I'm not in the UK so can't speak for them but the Irish especially with our history of forced emigration when we had to flee the famine to the US because Europe's borders were closed to us should be a kick up our holes to do something and help.

I often think of the Choctaw Indians who, only 16 years after there own trail of tears and in the midst of their own poverty, raised money to provide famine relief in Ireland. We still owe them a moral debt that can only be discharged by our own humanitarian action towards others in need.

It's alright if you don't feel that need or compulsion to help. You're not in a minority.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I admire your compassion and your will to do something about this, Monster Abu. I must admit, you are a better person than me.

But let's just stop and think about this for one moment.

ISIS have taken charge of the people smuggling racket, especially in Libya, and have promised to plant terrorists in among genuine refugees. How do we tell which is which? If we opened the door, how would we weed out the terrorists? This situation is more complicated than just showing or denying compassion, I'm afraid.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    Thanks for sharing the Choctaw Indian's gift to help the starving Irish. I looked it up its an amazing story!
  • Munster Abu
    Munster Abu

Here is the memorial in County Cork commemorating it:

• Lieu
    Lieu

Yeah, and so? The world is cyclic. There were far more millions to the "New World".

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There were far more millions to the "New World" - there was much space to accommodate those millions at that time. While not being completely full, Europe, especially the UK, is densely populated. Immigration must be strictly controlled.

England in particular has a high population density. Perhaps refugees/migrants who make it over from Calais should be moved to Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

• kaik
    kaik

Many in EU fail to see that the refugees are illegal immigrants and they are braking law by entering illegally into EU. There is nothing wrong for foreigner to move to different country, but it needs to be done by accordingly immigration laws in each country. What is happening in places like Hungary is nothing more than invasion. International trains from Hungary were cancelled to Slovakia, Germany, Czech Republic and Austria. Thousands of refugees were vandalizing Budapest-Keleti train station and demanded to go to Germany. Hungarian government trying to get rid off them got one train running toward Vienna. When the refugees find out that it will not continue beyond Austria to Germany, they started rioting on railway line outside Sopron. It is expected the mass of thousands of people will move northwest by this weekend where situation in Hungary will be repeated in Slovakia. Another 250,000 are on the way between Greece and Serbia. This is a huge number and I would not be suprised that eventually armed forced would be called in to deal with the situation.

• Munster Abu
    Munster Abu

Funnily enough though kaik two of the three countries that Merkel recently criticised for not taking their fair share of refugee's in this crisis, Ireland and the UK, both announced today they will be taking more.

So it would seem there is a need. Look people don't risk there lives travelling seas in overcrowded leaking boats unless they are desperate. They just don't so stop saying this is about immigration when it is clearly about refugee's

Not sure if this has been posted here already but watch/read it and tell me this isn't about refugee's desperate to escape. : Desperate crossing

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

People have been trying to get Visa's to leave legally, but they are being denied by most counties. Many Coptic Christians fear for their lives and have no choice but to risk illegal immigration or face certain death if they stay.

Something has to be done. It is reminiscent of the situation for the Jews in pre world war II Germany.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Icelanders offer up homes to Syrian refugees

When the Icelandic government announced it would accept 50 refugees, its citizens rallied, using a Facebook event page to volunteer their homes and pressure the government to grant more refugees asylum.
    On Sunday, award-winning author Bryndis Bjorgvinsdottir set up the page Syria is Calling. The group aims to present Iceland's welfare minister Eygló Harðardóttir a list of volunteers willing to house Syrian refugees.
    More than 16,000 people had joined the page as of Thursday afternoon, though not all of them are Icelandic.
    Icelandic volunteers, supporters from other countries and many who purport to be Syrians attempting to find their way to Iceland have all posted to the page. Bjorgvinsdottir has offered to pay for the flights of five Syrians and house them with a friend.
    On Monday, Eyglo Arnarsdottir heard about the Facebook group on the news. She was unimpressed with the number of refugees the government said it would accept, so the next day she signed up to volunteer with the Red Cross.
    "It's one of the biggest human crises we've seen in my lifetime at least," said the 35-year-old journalist in Reykjavik. She's waiting to hear from the Red Cross about how she can assist, though she says she could help teach them Icelandic and guide them around her city.
    "I think it's an obligation all of us have to help in any way. With my effort, if I could help one person or one family, it would be worth it."
    The Icelandic Red Cross has praised the Facebook group.
    "It is without a doubt due to this support on social media that on Tuesday, almost 100 volunteers showed up at Red Cross headquarters to complete their registration as active volunteers, ready to provide assistance," the organization wrote on Facebook Tuesday.
    Perhaps inspired by Icelandic efforts, a few Canadians have taken to the page to offer refugees a place to live.
    "I will pay for flights for three. I can and will support them till they support themselves," wrote Michelle Blanchard, who added that she lives in Edmonton with rooms to spare.

full article at link...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit