Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

sammie, you and simon can keep living in your world were you believe Asians are biologcially determined to be poor drivers and better at math and African Americans are....whatever you think African Americans are biologically determined to be relative to whites and other races.

You going to find me some real science that says the 'Asian race' is better at math than other races?

good luck

-----

Go back and copy something where I have said that any race or culture of people is better than the next. Please don't even begin to try this - I responded to your claim of science being the real world where you your science prove to you that all things are equal - I pointed out that this was and is a fallacy based on scientific studies by different scientists. That's how science works - people disagree and then work on proving or disproving issues and still they all won't agree. An example would be climate. Additionally, the reporting of scientific facts is sometimes turned into a political game and at times even a corporate game wherein reports can be altered to suit and idealogy with which to manipulate the public. Doesn't make it all bad or all good or even something to get worked up about - it's all about discussion and middle ground most often. sw

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    sammie, you and simon can keep living in your world were you believe Asians are biologcially determined to be poor drivers and better at math and African Americans are....whatever you think African Americans are biologically determined to be relative to whites and other races.

I'm amazed by some of the comments here, and completely disheartened and saddened by it - but it definitely puts prior opinions and comments in this and other discussions in a new light.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

EOM, I thought in your post 3033 you were saying the races were biologically different.

Do you believe the races have biological differences such that one race is better at something (math as an example) than another race is?

It is my possition that, on the whole, the 'races' of people are biologically equal and differ only in appearance. And that 'race' is not even a thing, biologically speaking.

• Simon
    Simon

BTW: One of the reasons that asians do well at math could be because of how the language treats it - they are learning math as they learn to talk. If a white or black kid was brought up by an asian family speaking a differeny language there is a higher chance they would excel too.

https://studentrnd.org/build/why-asians-are-better-than-americans-at-math

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Simon, do you beleive that biologically the races are equal or do you believe that biologically different races of people are better at certain things than other races?

• Simon
    Simon

Do you believe the races have biological differences such that one race is better at something (math as an example) than another race is?

I think we've answer this. You have setup a strawman argument that was never put forward and got outraged at your own invention.

It is my possition that, on the whole, the 'races' of people are biologically equal and differ only in appearance. And that 'race' is not even a thing, biologically speaking.

Well that is wrong too. I don't think race has a direct effect on intelligence but race is clearly a thing and people have different characteristics (like dogs) due to thousands of years of breeding and the environmental effects which has helpt to produce and shape them.

Of course races are different biologically - some are predisposed to different diseases or have developed different tollerances to alcohol as some simple examples. Skin color is just one more of those variations based on breeding and environmental effects.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

"In the United States, it's estimated that sickle cell anemia affects 70,000–100,000 people, mainly African Americans."

That is a scientific fact, that is a biological difference.

Are all breeds of dogs biologically identical?

For math, that would be a cultural thing.

Since it seems most on this board are athiests, then from that standpoint it would make sense that cultures in different environments for thousands of years would have some biological differences because of evolution.

So for math and smarts, if a culture puts more emphasis on education then another, then their beliefs and pursuits as a culture are responsible for their smarts.

For something like sickle cell, chances are a person in the USA who has it would be because of biological reasons of being black. Other races can get it, but black people get it more.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

ARe there any biologcial differences in African Americans as a group that would prevent them, if they worked very hard, to achieve equality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, poltical representation, ect?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Please name some of these differences along racial lines.

----

They're out there - go ahead and find them.

What is interesting is that when science works on DNA, genetics, and they seek to try and find similarities and differences to point to strengths and weaknesses, they find those things for example in health. That is why they were able to find markers in Sickle Cell and Tay Sachs for example - diseases specific to particular groups of people. They can take genetic markers for health weaknesses or strengths and then factor in environment and come up with what might be plausible averages for the advancement of some of those issues they find. sw

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    Becase different groups are always going to have different strengths and weaknesses. Asians are good at math but don't seem to drive very well.

This was the offending statement that was brought up.

Teens in Japan, Korea, parts of China, etc. do better on standardized math tests than U.S. teens, who rank in the bottom half of the world. That is the factual statement.

"Asians do better in math" directly following "because different groups are always going to have different strengths and weaknesses" in response to a post about race does not read like the above. It reads like a racial stereotype. It's obvious to see why people would take it as such.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit