Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    Good luck to him - he didn't ask for this or deserve it.

I'm also curious as to your perspective when it comes to this. He used excessive force in an instance in which many people don't feel it was necessary.

• Simon
    Simon

The message that ‘Asians are smart’ is a very common stereotype in our culture. She could not have reached 17 years of age without being exposed to it.

But you were implying that the message she was given is that she was dumb because of race. That is a different thing entirely - isn't it more of how she chose to interpret the idea that "asians are smart"? Lots of people believe that (white as well) and have self doubt of their own abilities in comparison to others. Is it really a negative message they are given or just part of the human psyche? You are taking a common view and trying to twist it into an anti-black message which it clearly isn't.

Your golf example is poor for two reasons: it is not measuring steryotypes, it is measuring how people respond under pressure where that is pressure they put on themselves and induced by telling them they are going to be measured. For golf in particular it is a sport where you can't afford to 'think' about things too much. Concentrate too much on your swing and you can go to pieces. I don't think it is a good or conclusive study - has it been peer reviewed? do you have references for it so we can look for ourselves or is it just anecdotal? What is it meant to prove? That black peope have a negative view of theselves? Is it another fault of how they chose to interpret the world or the messages they are taught by their own community?

Don’t you think African Americans as a group ARE changing their lives? What exactly do you expect? At what generation past slavery do you think African Americans as a group should have ‘transformed their lives’ to be equal to whites as a group in terms wealth, political representation, education, etc?

I don't think it's a competition and to expect exact equal results is unrealistic (e.g. shouldn't white people be as 'smart' as asians by now?).

Black people have exactly the same opportunity for political representation today as any other and should be an influential segment of the electorate but if they chose not to excercise their right to vote is that anyone's fault but their own? If they chose to follow leaders that promote marches instead of ballot papers is that anyone elses fault but their own? A black president and many black appointees would suggest that lack of political representation is not the issue you make out.

Education is the main issue, wealth comes as a result of that. Given the world that we live in now, I don't think african americans are really living up to their potential as they should be and I think continuing to blame slavery for it is getting more and more rediculous as time goes on. How long will it be used as the excuse?

Wait, what, exactly is getting worse?

Well that seems to be the complaint. That black kids are being indescriminately gunned down in the street by police and don't have any opportunities, aren't offered education, the whole system is against them etc...

I thought the protesting and rioting was supposed to be about something. I admit, the "hands up don't shoot" message has been thoroughly debunked so I can't be the only one who doesn't know what it's really supposed to be about anymore.

• Simon
    Simon

I'm also curious as to your perspective when it comes to this. He used excessive force in an instance in which many people don't feel it was necessary.

Well, that is invention on your and their part and your opinions don't make up for facts. The jury decided it wasn't based on the evidence.

He didn't ask for this, he didn't seek it out - his life has been screwed by some dumb ass. Why does he deserved to be screwed over further?

• Simon
    Simon

I also made it clear that we are not going to have this re-invention of evidence so I removed it from your post above. The case has been decided - you don't get to make up your own version of what happened that contradicts it. We could just as easily claim that MB wanted to commit suicide and intentionally tried to get himself shot - does that help any conversation at all?

Officer Wilson shot Micheal Brown in self defense after he was attacked by him because he was recognised for the robbery he'd just comitted.

There is no evidence of any racial motivation for the shooting.

• Simon
    Simon

If you keep posting invented claims then I will keep deleting them.

How much the officer is paid for an interview is no more relevant to the incident (that happened before, duh) than how much MB's family is paid for interviews.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Simon, I would not post about a study that was not peer reviewed.

I did give you the references so you can look it up. I feel like you don't read what I write.

I don't think it's a competition and to expect exact equal results is unrealistic

Why?

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

All of the things stated in the post were from his own testimony and from police reports.

We're at the point where we're just censoring arguments when they don't agree with the narrative you want to create, even when every single thing in them can be sourced. Really?

• Simon
    Simon

Lisa: you refered to a book that you say refers to studies. I was asking for references to those studies.

I don't think it's a competition and to expect exact equal results is unrealistic - Why?

Becase different groups are always going to have different strengths and weaknesses. Asians are good at math but don't seem to drive very well.

Are you picturing a futuristic world where everyone is absolutely identical?

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Looking backward to see the causes of a situation is necessary in order to suggest effective remedies

--------

Looking back on a situation or life experience means being self aware. It means starting with history, then acceptance, then moving past it in a positive way. To remain locked in any percieved or real negative experience continues to support self victimization and perpetuate generational victimization. If you have leaders whether they be clergy, politicians, teachers, parents that refuse to move past their own sense of victimization, they will in turn force those feelings on to their children. In a Time study a while back they interviewed a few thousand children who were African American high school students and questioned how many of the thought that a)racism was a huge problem b) how parents spoke of other races and c) how many had actually been the target of racism. The outcome was that 95% of all those teens said they had never had a racist experience personally happen in their lives but that they believed it was a huge problem and further in all teens interviewed 10% said that their parents had used negative comments when talking about people of different races - this was for all students regardless of color or culture. Bottom line - no negative experiences but they are being taught to believe that the problem is a major one and sooner or later does it become a self fulfilling prophecy? A wrong look means racism? The person who sounds rude is racist? The fact that person got to the counter first is racist? Example is Obama saying that women hold their purses when a black person gets on the elevator - bursting Obamas bubble but a lot of women would walk off the elevator if a lone man got on and even more hold their purses tighter walking through parking lots, elevators and stores as a safety measure. Obama made it a black issue - a lot of people understand it as a security or male/fear issue. His perception is what he portrayed to the public - that somehow, a woman clutching her purse means the woman is racist and golly gee, he understands how you all feel. That is the power of one person who thinks he knows why someone acts in a way blaming it on racism and using his power to put that message out.

The teaching comes from somewhere - so does the attitude - and maybe in places we don't even see. This teacher who had 22 years in the 'system' was suspended without pay and then fired from her job - but how long was she spouting this kind of talk and to who and did another school district pick her up? It's in homes, schools, government, activism - maybe people would do better focusing on the class issue that envelopes all of the country - class and inequality are the major problem and deal with that, a lot of good, positive things would follow. Poor = votes and sadly the opportunists out there understand that if the poor combined their efforts collectively and fought those issues together regardless of race, the politicians would no longer work for themselves but for the people. sw

---

Duncanville Teacher Who Said "Dumb Duck Ass Crackers" Should "Kill Themselves" Resigns

By Stephen Young Thu., Nov. 13 2014 at 3:46 PM Dallas Observer

dvilleteacher-thumb-565x848.jpg

Vinita Hegwood, the Duncanville High School English teacher whose profane tweet aimed at "dumb duck ass crackers" went viral on conservative social media, has resigned, she announced Thursday afternoon.

• Simon
    Simon

All of the things stated in the post were from his own testimony and from police reports.

We're at the point where we're just censoring arguments when they don't agree with the narrative you want to create, even when every single thing in them can be sourced. Really?

No, that is completely wrong and misleading.

Refer to the post I made about what is and isn't acceptable if you want to discuss this case (Michael Brown verdict discussion policy). When things have been determined by the coourt then you don't get to try and create an alternate reality to suit your own world outlook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit