Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon

In the U.S., quality and safety of schools aligns with schooling zones, which aligns with income level. Are you factoring the disparity of low income area schools and the issues within (violence, bad teachers, horrible learning conditions, overcrowded classrooms, not showing any students individual attention, etc. etc. etc.) in that one generation equation?

Is it the teachers that are violent? Or the community? If that community doesn't benefit as it should from the available education then who's fault is it really? Everyone elses?

If you look at the stats for per-capita spend on pupils in different areas you will see that some of the highest spending goes to the most underperforming schools. That is because of corruption and waste. Watch the programme on Chicago (Chicagoland?) and see the teachers going round trying to round up kids to get them to attend school after only 10% turn up on the first day. The problem is not the money being spent on the school system which is disproportionately high for the number of students.

Who's fault is it? Every other community except the ones concerned?

It's easy to blame everyone else but if a community doesn't value education then that is their fault and their loss. At some point you can't keep pointing the finger and blaming the world as it was 100+ years ago.

• Simon
    Simon

Confirmation bias means that you would "notice" two people that say a particular sentiment, but not necessarily the 98 others who do not state a particular thing. That's why anecdotes in themsleves don't work as data.

Does that also apply to people claiming the opposite? Perhaps that they have been racially profiied? or that they were arrested "for being black"?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Here is a vid of a black man saying almost exactly what my black friends had told me. Incase not believing my story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzVys7RDQ0I

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

"1) The sentiment you speak of is not specific to black people, and is a sentiment that aligns with low income areas."

Okay, so if in low income black areas, those who try to improve are called acting 'too white', what is the sentiment in low income white neighborhoods? What are they told? O wait, I know, 'a nerd' right?

• Simon
    Simon

The sentiment you speak of is not specific to black people, and is a sentiment that aligns with low income areas

No, that is convenient to your narrative but incorrect IMO.

I've never heard anyone from a poor neighbourhood who manages to better themself through personal achievement being told that they are "being too white". People may resent their opportunity (normally it's celebrated?) but there is a certain level of criticism that is only directed towards other black people if they aren't adhering to the steyotypes that they themselves apparently want to promote.

You only have to see the comments that Don Lemon gets if he makes any point about black community opinions that may be unhealthy or others (e.g. Farrel Williams recently). This incident is a perfect example of the negative pressure applied from the black community to other black people who don't support the narrative they are supposed to and speak out against it.

This is a problem for the black community to resolve. Until they do then you can blame the education system or slavery, however many post-slavery generations there have been, but it is the black comunity that suffers because of their choices as a whole.

Good luck to all the ones who manage to escape from it despite the opposition, who get an education and work hard and make something of their life.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

I think you need to go watch TV. There seems to be a black culture and claims being made about black people by black people.

If there is no black culture then I don't know what they think they are complaining about or why all these people in different cities are marching up and down and trying to disrupt shopping and traffic.

So people are making definitive statements about a geographically separate group of people based, not on hard data, but, some stuff they see on T.V. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

The people marching up and down in many cities are complaining about the militarization of U.S. police and using deadly force when not necessary and the lack of accountability and regulation after it is used, especially when concerning people that society views as "black," where the rate is hugely statistically higher, even when comparing the same offenses by the person killed. This current case being a huge tipping point because of timing, the multiple instances of which deadly escalation could have been avoided, by the officer's own testimony, and it being yet another example of police officers not being held to the same legal standards or standards of evidence as other citizens. Many of the reasons were more specifically quoted in the parts of the posts you erased. Why does that confuse you?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

"1) The sentiment you speak of is not specific to black people, and is a sentiment that aligns with low income areas." - okay, so pacopoolio, for all the poor/low income areas that happen to be black, because it's a low income area and the sentiment is that education and advancing is too white or somehow negative, do they have a right to claim oppression and discrimination for being poor when they frown upon doing anything to get them out of that situation? What is the solution here? Are they doomed for generation after generation to be poor and welfare if the sentiment is not to get education?

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

No, that is convenient to your narrative but incorrect.

I've never heard anyone from a poor neighbourhood who manages to better themself through achievement being told that they are "being too white". People may resent their opportunity but there is a certain level of criticism that is only directed towards other black people if they aren't adhering to the steyotypes that they themselves apparently want to promote.

Are you making the statement that anti-intellectualism does not coincide with low income groups, or that the minority relation of success with "white" makes that brand of anti-intellectualism worse than the other sentiments held by others in similar situations (ie. equating colleges with "liberal thinking" and other such things)?

• Simon
    Simon

pocopoolio: I'm not confused. You are making claims that you don't have evidence to back up.

This case was supposed to be one of the perfect examples of black kids being unfairly shot and what do we find? All bogus claims and the cop did exactly the right thing. The black kid was the criminal and died because of the choices that he himself made.

You can't prove that there is a certain problem by overall stats that included examples where you know it specificaly wasn't the problem. and I'm sorry, you're refering to a post you made as though it proved the second coming of christ. If was simply the same tired and lame "why didn't the cop just not shoot him" nonsense.

People are marching up and down because they want to blame everything on someone else and they listen to the inciteful hate-speech made by those who take advantage of them. Yes, this is the incident that caused the protests but the fact is the evidence and result has undermined the protests and they will no doubt fizzle out and be forgotten about within a week.

What would be more useful is to make meaningful change. To have meaningful and open talks on ALL the issues involved, not just try and unfairly pass the blame 100% onto the police. What do the police and the community have to do differently? How does the change happen?

It's not all doomed:

Police officer and young demonstrator share hug during Ferguson rally in Portland

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia/index.ssf/2014/11/photo_police_officer_and_citiz.html

The kids life story is worth reading, perhaps an example of the difference good parenting can make:

http://www.papertrail.co.nz/meet-devonte-little-boy-big-heart/

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

That's a great picture, I just read that story too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit