Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

" It is called THE REAL WORLD. The one based on science."

I wonder if you are one of the creationists or athiests on this board.

Anybody who is athiest should have no problem believing races would not be equal in everything. Since they would believe everything about everybody are no different than animals, it would equate to saying all breeds of dogs are equal in everything and or denying that dogs can be breed to be more aggressive or more playful, etc, depending on traits.

With cultures seperated by thousands+ of years, brains could develop differently, personality traits passed down, etc.

THAT is science.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    What if science proved you wrong? Do you get to cherry pick which science or scientist you decide to agree with because it is rooted in your own personal idealogy? The real world including science is filled with differences - including the scientific community who have reported on genetic differences many times, even when it hasn't been popular to do so.

Please name some of these differences along racial lines.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

sammie, you and simon can keep living in your world were you believe Asians are biologcially determined to be poor drivers and better at math and African Americans are....whatever you think African Americans are biologically determined to be relative to whites and other races.

You going to find me some real science that says the 'Asian race' is better at math due to their inborn characteristics than other races?

good luck!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Darren Wilson resigns from Ferguson Police Department

4 hours ago • By Christine Byers cbyers@post-dispatch.com

Citing threats of violence, Darren Wilson, who fatally shot Michael Brown Aug. 9, resigned from the Ferguson Police Department on Saturday.

Wilson, 28, whom a St. Louis County grand jury declined to indict in connection with the shooting, had worked for the city’s police department for six years.

In a telephone interview Saturday evening, Wilson said he resigned after the police department told him it had received threats that violence would ensue if he remained an employee.

“I’m resigning of my own free will,” he said. “I’m not willing to let someone else get hurt because of me.”

He said resigning was “the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do.”

Wilson’s resignation, which was expected, comes after private talks between his representatives and the police department. The grand jury announced its decision in the case Monday.

Wilson’s resignation letter reads, in part:

I have been told that my continued employment may put the residents and police officers of the City of Ferguson at risk, which is a circumstance that I cannot allow. For obvious reasons, I wanted to wait until the grand jury made their decision before I officially made my decision to resign. It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of paramount importance to me. It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal.”

Wilson, who was paid an annual salary of $45,302, said he has not received a severance package, although he said he may negotiate with the department in hopes of receiving one. He said he’s been told he is not the target of any ongoing internal police investigation.

Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson declined to comment.

The shooting of Brown, 18, who was unarmed, sparked worldwide protests that continue this weekend. Wilson had been on paid administrative leave since the shooting.

Protesters, including Brown’s family members, have accused Wilson of murder in Brown’s death and called for a special prosecutor to pursue charges against Wilson.

Anthony Gray, an attorney representing the Brown family, said he believes Wilson was acting merely for his own benefit.

“It’s probably in his best interest to sever his ties with the Ferguson community, as well as the Ferguson police department,” Gray said. “I think this incident has severely compromised his ability to police in the way he was paid to do by the city.”

Patricia Bynes, a Democratic committeewoman for Ferguson township who has been active in the protests, said the resignation is too little, too late.

“It doesn’t even have the same impact that it would have months ago,” she said. “It would have relieved a lot of anger and the pressure in the streets. It’s been almost infuriating to get to this point and nothing has changed. There was no accountability and sense of responsibility for what has happened.”

Bynes said other people involved in the investigation and its outcome — Jackson, St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch and St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar — should have either resigned or been held accountable.

“Either everybody’s an imbecile, or we have some negligence that’s going on that’s almost criminal,” she said. “So Darren Wilson? He’s the lowest man on the totem pole.”

Protester DeRay Mckesson said on Twitter that he and fellow protesters want an arrest, not a resignation, and that protests would continue. “Darren Wilson is not in jail, as he should be,” he said. “His resignation is important but not justice.”

The U.S. Justice Department is conducting separate investigations into the killing and into the practices of the Ferguson Police Department. Those investigations are ongoing.

On Tuesday, Wilson told ABC News that Brown was the aggressor in the minutes before the shooting. In an account that generally mirrored his testimony before the grand jury, Wilson said Brown had attacked him while the officer sat in his car, then fled. Wilson said he chased after Brown until Brown turned back toward him, refusing Wilson’s commands to stop.

As Brown approached, Wilson said, he warned Brown to stop. When he didn’t stop, Wilson repeatedly fired his handgun.

“I had to. If I don’t, he will kill me if he gets to me,” Wilson said in the televised interview.

Contrary to some reports, Wilson denied he had been paid for the ABC interview. “Absolutely not,” he said Saturday. “I wouldn’t jeopardize my integrity for a dollar.”

He expressed gratitude for supporters, some of whom even offered him a home. “It’s been unbelievable the amount of people who have reached out and don’t even know me,” he said.

Wilson recently was married to another Ferguson police officer, Barbara Spradling, 36. The couple are expecting their first child. Wilson said the department has asked that Spradling, a 12-year veteran, also resign. He said she has so far declined to do so.

He said he had no idea what job he will pursue. “I’ve got to figure out what do we do now,” Wilson said Saturday night. “Right now I would not want to be a cop, but you never know. Only time will tell.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Endofmysteries, you too are welcome to find some science that says Asians are biologically better at math than other races.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

" It is called THE REAL WORLD. The one based on science."

I wonder if you are one of the creationists or athiests on this board.

Anybody who is athiest should have no problem believing races would not be equal in everything. Since they would believe everything about everybody are no different than animals, it would equate to saying all breeds of dogs are equal in everything and or denying that dogs can be breed to be more aggressive or more playful, etc, depending on traits.

With cultures seperated by thousands+ of years, brains could develop differently, personality traits passed down, etc.

THAT is science.

Race is not a scientific categorization. It is a categorization created centuries ago by European colonization to identify people, and has since has been dismissed as nonsensical. It has lasted only as a visual social categorization that people hold on to, which shifts over time (for instance, the Irish, of all people, weren't viewed as white in the United States until relatively recently).

• Simon
    Simon

Also, Asians as a whole are not better at math nor do they drive worse, the former is a debunked stereotype, and the latter is an unsourced stereotype. That's what turned Lisa off from your responses - you're repeating racial stereotypes as statements of fact.

It's funny. Most studies don't even bother with the "if", they just try to find the "why" to explain asians are better. The fact that they are is demonstrated in the academic and subsequent earning achievements - no privilege at play for them. They aspire to achieve things because their culture instills it in them.

The driving? That's anecdotal and meant to be funny. Even in Calgary if you're stuck behind someone doing 40 on the main highway they are always asian. I'm not pretending it's a conprehensive or conclusive study.

The reality is I think they do drive more carefully which is probably some attitude to risk taking that could be linked to the cultural view above. There seems to be a very strong social comdemnation if an accident occurs that they may have some blame in as seem from responses to recent ferry tragedies etc... There is a good chance this could filter down into how people drive.

I prefer people who drive carefully that they assholes in trucks. They tend to be white people with red knecks. I presume it's OK to say that thought ... right?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

lisa - Asians and math would be because the asian cultures put high value on education and excelling in their careers. Some cultures scorn those who try to excel in their education and call them traitors to their culture so they fail on math. Is it the culture or the color doing that?

• Simon
    Simon

find some science that says Asians are biologically better at math than other races.

You automatically assume that everything has to be about skin color and can't be the ethnic community that influences them whether those influences are positive or negative.

The fact that some communities do better than others could just have something to do with the attitudes of those communities, what they value and what they promote.

• Simon
    Simon

sammie, you and simon can keep living in your world were you believe Asians are biologcially determined to be poor drivers and better at math and African Americans are....whatever you think African Americans are biologically determined to be relative to whites and other races.

That is pure racist invention by you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit