Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    Absolutely not! The biggest thing I see holding it back is the culture and those who try to excel at those things being labeled as acting 'too white' or a traitor to their race/culture. Holding back their own culture from advancing then blaming everybody else for the consequences. And I'm talking about today, not talking about 40+ years ago.

And how do you define where this "culture" starts or ends, or how prevalent it is between millions of people who share a racial designation, or is particularly unique to them?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

"ARe there any biologcial differences in African Americans as a group that would prevent them, if they worked very hard, to achieve equality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, poltical representation, ect?"

Absolutely not! The biggest thing I see holding it back is the culture and those who try to excel at those things being labeled as acting 'too white' or a traitor to their race/culture. Holding back their own culture from advancing then blaming everybody else for the consequences. And I'm talking about today, not talking about 40+ years ago.

EndofMysteries: ok, so there is nothing biologically holding AFrican Americans back from equality in this country.

Aassuming African American worked as hard as they could, about how many generations past slavery do you think it would take for them, as a group, to achieve quality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, political representation, ect?

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

If there are no races then how can there be racism?

To quote Sheldon Cooper, "Bazinga!"

• Simon
    Simon

simon: ARe there any biologcial differences in African Americans as a group that would prevent them, if they worked very hard, to achieve equality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, poltical representation, ect?

No, duh!

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    If there are no races then how can there be racism?

Read the last sentence of the post two above yours.

• Simon
    Simon

And how do you define where this "culture" starts or ends, or how prevalent it is between millions of people who share a racial designation, or is particularly unique to them?

You don't, because people don't fit into neat boxes. There are different influences on lots of people that vary as to how strong or weak there are.

If you zoom out you see patterns and stonger probabilities.

• Simon
    Simon

Aassuming African American worked as hard as they could, about how many generations past slavery do you think it would take for them, as a group, to achieve quality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, political representation, ect?

You list multiple things.

Political Representation? They have that already.

Education? One generation. Intelligence isn't genetic or inherited and the state strongly encourages kids to go to school. You don't need to be educated to value education.

Wealth? Many more factors - could be one generation past educated for normal people (applies to the majority of whites, not the 'elite super rich' which will never have equality)

How long do you think it should take?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

lisabobeesa - My black american history professor who when speaking about the problems of the past and then the problems today (and he grew up in during the discrimination years), he brought out how all of those still alive are still angry and will never get over it and they pass this down to their kids, so his generation must die off, when all of those who experienced the real discrimination have died off, then they may really start to catch up. But you have their kids now who were told everything from their parents who directly lived it, so my personal thoughts are it will start to really improve but probably take a couple of generations atleast for the whole culture to catch up. (assuming the kids realize nothing holding them back now and they must take control of all the opportunities they have), if the culture as a whole dropped the "don't do good in school because it's too white" stigma today then it would be much quicker.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

You don't, because people don't fit into neat boxes. There are different influences on lots of people that vary as to how strong or weak there are.

If you zoom out you see patterns and stonger probabilities.

What patterns and probabilities are people using to split people separated by hundreds and thousands of miles into one "culture," make the designation for that culture a race, and then definitively state what goes on within that culture?

• Simon
    Simon

Read the last sentence of the post two above yours.

I wasn't asking for an answer, it's called 'humour'. I'll be sure to add a smiley or "this is a joke" next time.

I think most people use race to mean ethnicity and skin color.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit