Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

"In the United States, it's estimated that sickle cell anemia affects 70,000–100,000 people, mainly African Americans."

but that does not go strictly on racial lines.

All African Americans do not have sickle cell anemia.

if it was a true biological difference in the races, all members of the race would have it. and people other races would not have it.

• Simon
    Simon

Simon, do you beleive that biologically the races are equal or do you believe that biologically different races of people are better at certain things than other races?

Those are not opposites. It's like saying "do you believe that apples and tomatos are both fruit or that they are useful in different recipes?"

You probably phrased the question so you could then claim "Simon said races aren't equal !!"

You have to define what you mean by 'equal'. If you mean 'identical' then no, of course races are not identical.

You are no doubt wanting to transpose 'equal' as in identical to then mean 'equal' as in value and potential.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

"ARe there any biologcial differences in African Americans as a group that would prevent them, if they worked very hard, to achieve equality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, poltical representation, ect?"

Absolutely not! The biggest thing I see holding it back is the culture and those who try to excel at those things being labeled as acting 'too white' or a traitor to their race/culture. Holding back their own culture from advancing then blaming everybody else for the consequences. And I'm talking about today, not talking about 40+ years ago.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Lisa I will accept your apology for trying to claim that I said something I never did.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

simon: ARe there any biologcial differences in African Americans as a group that would prevent them, if they worked very hard, to achieve equality with whites as a group in terms of wealth, education, poltical representation, ect?

• Simon
    Simon

but that does not go strickly on racial lines.

All African Americans do not have sickle cell anemia.

if it was a true biological difference in the races, all members of the race would have it. and people other races would not have it.

Really? You believe for something to be true it has to apply to an entire population or none at all?

Do you know what predisposition means? It doesn't mean "you will get" it means "you have a higher chance of getting".

Things like this can be true regardless of whether or not it affects all of a population but because it is more likely to affect someone because they belong to a population.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

This video must be the source of bad asian driving LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTgTP304RYA

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

Well that is wrong too. I don't think race has a direct effect on intelligence but race is clearly a thing and people have different characteristics (like dogs) due to thousands of years of breeding and the environmental effects which has helpt to produce and shape them.

Of course races are different biologically - some are predisposed to different diseases or have developed different tollerances to alcohol as some simple examples. Skin color is just one more of those variations based on breeding and environmental effects.

She's not wrong because what people think of as races are not set along any real biological lines. There are no genetically distinct races.

Ethnicity is CLOSER, but still not a biological marker that can be used.

The most that genetics can do is look at places of relatively recent origin to predict a predisposition to things like diseases.

Race only exists, socially. It's not scientific at all.

• Simon
    Simon

"Asians do better in math" directly following "because different groups are always going to have different strengths and weaknesses" in response to a post about race does not read like the above. It reads like a racial stereotype. It's obvious to see why people would take it as such.

I think it shows some can't think or speak rationally when there may be any hint of 'race' may be involved - they are not looking at what people have said, they are looking FOR something someone has said.

• Simon
    Simon

If there are no races then how can there be racism?

I guess ethnicicism doesn't roll off the tongue the same.

"You're an enthnicicist!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit