Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

I think the civil rights lawsuit will fail because there is clearly no evidence of any racial motivation for the incident

Racial motivation is not an element of a civil rights suit. Excessive force or unreasonable seizure in violation of constitutional restraints on such conduct is sufficient for a civil rights suit. In fact, white plaintiffs file them all the time. There is almost certainly enough there to survive to trial, and the liability potential is so massive that a settlement is likely.

If you are referring to Trayvon Martin as the last trial of the century, there was no civil rights suit because the alleged perpetrator was not a state actor.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

MB was a fellon who instigated the incidenct

Indeed! Oh, and I don't see anyone disputing Brown's criminal activity.

So we have one man who just came off helping save the life of a child and we have another man who just came off an act of thievery and threatened violence.

Glad the child-saving man was able to walk away from the incident. Wish the other man could have too. But then the other man chose to run from the police rather than pony up for his theivery and threatened violence.

• Simon
    Simon

But then the other man chose to run from the police rather than pony up for his theivery and threatened violence.

Well, the problem was he didn't - he attacked the policeman. Running away would have been better but he didn't look like someone who liked to run and he didn't want to be caught and punished for his crime so I guess he figured he'd attack the cop instead - if he was trying to grab his gun then you have to assume it would be to kill the officer.

I'm glad that scenario didn't happen - someone doing his duty would have been killed and it would not have made the news, there would be no protests and no outcry.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I think this may be a turning point in our nations history for the worse. Many have actually chosen to support a fellon who robbed a store, and then attacked a police officer, rather than give the police officer who works on their behalf to maintain civilization, the benefit of the doubt. This is so irrational it suggests that this really isn't even about Michael Brown anymore, it's more about hatred of white people. It would be intersting to know what pecentage of the Black American community shares these feelings.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

The thugs are looting & burning the hell out of their town. Gun shots everywhere. The police are acting very professional.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

It is so funny switching back and forth between foxnews and msnbc. They both are showing the same images but yet presenting it so differently. Watching MSNBC and the commentor was stating a car will catch on fire all the time in cities and this demonstration is now entering a point of calm. Point of calm? This was only 20 minutes after the announcement and a police car was on fire. The mayhem was just beginning. Then a building catches on fire and MSNBC Chris Hayes states well this is probably the work of one person. Then two more buildings catch on fire. Each time something happens MSNBC keeps making an excuse for the behaviour. I turned off the TV. I'm sure things will escalate further.

• Razziel
    Razziel

They released Wilson's testimony and witness testimony and are reading some of it on air.

From Wilson's testimony, after being punched in the face, and struggling with Brown from inside his cruiser, he finally pulled his gun and said "Stop it or I'll shoot", to which Brown replied "You're too much of a f---ing p----y to shoot me."

Witness #10 saw what happened outside the cruiser and said after at first running away, Brown turned around and full out charged Wilson starting about 10 yards away. Wilson fired several shots and stopped. Brown stopped for a second, then full out charged again. Then Wilson fired the second volley of shots which put him down. The witness testified Brown never had his hands in the air.

• talesin
    talesin

This is how I perceive things. This case, and the reactions to it, reflect what America is going through at this point in time. I feel so sad for America. So much hatred and fear, on many levels.

Travelling extensively south of the border, in the early 80s, I felt so much promise. People were Working, Going to School, Starting Businesses. Remembering the 60s & 70s, with the marches for racial equality, the inspiring leadership surrounding that movement that fostered HOPE for a country that would lead the world to a better place. Along came Vietnam, and once again, the American people eventually triumphed, forcing the government through peaceful protests (well, if you don't count death by cop) to end that dirty war. In the 70s, we were all just having fun, jobs were plentiful, and still blissed out on the peace and love generation. But as the 80s progressed, things changed. Greed became the buzz word, and the party started to go downhill.

Thirty years later, I see more race riots, millions unemployed, lacking health care, the nation living in high fear because of terrrorist attacks (both foreign and domestic), homelessness an epidemic, and much more. I see a society that reached extreme heights of decadence and power, which is now in decline. The Michael Brown incident is the latest in a snowballing series of events that will end in a bloody revolution. That has been my opinion for a long time.

Why is Justice wearing a blindfold? Because she doesn't want to know the truth. That is what the people know - the justice system is corrupt. Whether this latest grand jury opinion is fair and just, matters not. The die is set.

tal

• talesin
    talesin

TT2C - I just read your post ....... that, too.

tal

• Simon
    Simon

I think this may be a turning point in our nations history for the worse. These rioters choose to support a fellon who robs stores, and attacks police officers rather than a police officer who works on their behalf to maintain civilization. This is so irrational it suggests that this really isn't even about Michael Brown, it's more just about hatred of white people. It would be intersting to know what pecentage of the black american community feels the same way as these looters.

Yeah, this whole thing has been about black resentment towards white police - the guilt of MB or the officer seems of no real concern to people, just an excuse to protest. The demands for justice ring hollow because people seem to be not interested in the facts or all the evidence which is now coming out and absolutely show MB to be the aggressor.

It's difficult to imagine this will do anything but erode credibility and sympathy. When people hold something up as an example of what they say is unfair treatment and it turns out it was the exact opposite, a policeman doing his duty and stopping a violent criminal, then how can it do otherwise?

More damaging than the lack of support for 'the cause' (or whatever Obama called it) is how it will destroy not just towns like Ferguson but any community that is predominently black and needs investment. It feeds the narrative of "white flight" and promotes the idea that living in such places is a risk and something to be avoided by those who have the ability to move elsewhere. .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit