Officer Wilson not indicted in killing of Michael Brown

by Simon 551 Replies latest social current

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Lisa - " how many generations past slavery" - slavery is NOT what has held blacks back today. The jim crow laws and discrimination are, so it's not slavery but how long after the civil rights in the 1960's were passed. If it was just slavery, they would have caught up (provided they took the same opportunities everybody else had)

• Simon
    Simon

What patterns and probabilities are people using to split people separated by hundreds and thousands of miles into one "culture," make the designation for that culture a race, and then definitively state what goes on within that culture?

That seems to be what those people are chosing to do based on their skin color.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

You list multiple things.

Political Representation? They have that already.

not proportionate to their numbers.

Education? One generation. Intelligence isn't genetic or inherited.

So then the children of freed slaves, as a group, would have been just as educated as the as the children of whites, as a group, if they had worked hard enough?

Wealth? Many more factors - could be one generation past educated for normal people (majority of whites, not the 'elite super rich')

ok...so you are saying the grandchildren of freed slaves would have had about the same wealth as their white counterparts, if they had worked hard enough?

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

Simon,

I wasn't asking about "those people" (who are they, exactly), I'm referring to people, specifically in this thread who definitively claiming what "black culture" does. Again, what data is being used by people in this thread, such as EndofMysteries, to determine what is being said and done and taught by a majority or even significant percentage of people whose only common trait is having a similar skin tone and some feature markers?

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Pacopoolio - As a JW, I had made a lot of black friends. One of the only good things about JW's was the cultural diversity. Anyway, quite a few of them remarked to me about the comments and attacks made to them by other blacks while they were in school. Then I've seen news reports and stories too online from general black people who do good in school, move into a nicer neighborhood, etc, told they are being too white, traitor, etc. Blacks who try to better their lives are very much discriminated against by other blacks. Are there any blacks on this message board who would disagree and say these other blacks who have told me these things are wrong or isolated cases?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I have to go so I can't answer more.

• Simon
    Simon

not proportionate to their numbers.

They have the opportunity. If they don't take it then that is their own fault, no one elses.

So then the children of freed slaves, as a group, would have been just as educated as the as the children of whites, as a group, if they had worked hard enough?

A generation of people where education is available to them.

ok...so you are saying the grandchildren of freed slaves would have had about the same wealth as their white counterparts, if they had worked hard enough?

How many generations do you think is fair? I think a generation or two of education plus hard would should produce noticable results.

There are poor uneducated people that arrived in America with diddly squat since after slavery ended. Should they have not been able to achieve anything depite working hard enough?

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    Education? One generation. Intelligence isn't genetic or inherited and the state strongly encourages kids to go to school. You don't need to be educated to value education.

In the U.S., quality and safety of schools aligns with schooling zones, which aligns with income level. Are you factoring the disparity of low income area schools and the issues within (violence, bad teachers, horrible learning conditions, overcrowded classrooms, not showing any students individual attention, etc. etc. etc.) in that one generation equation?

• Simon
    Simon

I wasn't asking about "those people" (who are they, exactly), I'm referring to people, specifically in this thread who definitively claiming what "black culture" does.

I think you need to go watch TV. There seems to be a black culture and claims being made about black people by black people.

If there is no black culture then I don't know what they think they are complaining about or why all these people in different cities are marching up and down and trying to disrupt shopping and traffic.

I thought it was because they are black.

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio - As a JW, I had made a lot of black friends. One of the only good things about JW's was the cultural diversity. Anyway, quite a few of them remarked to me about the comments and attacks made to them by other blacks while they were in school. Then I've seen news reports and stories too online from general black people who do good in school, move into a nicer neighborhood, etc, told they are being too white, traitor, etc. Blacks who try to better their lives are very much discriminated against by other blacks. Are there any blacks on this message board who would disagree and say these other blacks who have told me these things are wrong or isolated cases?

1) The sentiment you speak of is not specific to black people, and is a sentiment that aligns with low income areas.

2) Confirmation bias means that you would "notice" two people that say a particular sentiment, but not necessarily the 98 others who do not state a particular thing. That's why anecdotes in themsleves don't work as data.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit